Confirmed, HBO show will spoil the ending of series

Dragon Seed

It was inevitable for quite some time already. Also, it was apparent that while the 'journey' will be different, the 'big moments' and the ending would be the same or very similar. Thinking otherwise is a pipe dream. I'm glad for it since I fully intent to watch the show through to its conclusion regardless of when the books are published.

We already knew this ever since D&D sat down with George to go over the main plot points for the rest of the series. Personally I think the show will end up being 8 seasons, not 7. It looks like TWOW may actually come out in a few months, so I think George actually has a chance of getting book 7 out before season 8 airs, and he said a few days ago he still intends to end it in 7 books. If George can pull it off, we will have a bunch of things spoiled by the show but not everything and not the ending.

Hi,

I saw that news too, they will consult with GRRM while finishing the show.

I think that this should be a good news, since it wont spoil the books, but rather show us a potential ending, from the mind of GRRM.

By comparison, the fans of the Dune series, by Frank Herbert, might agree with me, since when this great writer died, for more than 20 years his series fans didn't know what the books ending might be. That feeling was horrible...

Imagine that during this time, of 20 freaking years, some fans died, never got closure regarding his story, only to be given an ending by the writers son (who wrote from his fathers manuscripts, and brought closure).

The shows ending will be somewhat different from the books ending, but will give us a version of GRRM ending for this series, sooner and will give some closure on some level. BUT it will make us want to finish the books too, since it most definetly end differently.

I personally like this ideea, with the show that must go on, which is acceptable especially because the show is quite different from the books.

Also this gives GRRM whatever time he needs to complete his books (they should not rush him to pop-out the rest of the books). He knows where the story is going and very likely even how, but putting it on paper might require however much time he needs. This will give him that.

all depends on how much martin wants to give away. been seeing for a while now that he has told/will tell them the ending and major plot points. what constitutes as major plot points is whats going to be the x factor. we might have the same ending with very different paths leading there.

Yeah, this is something I have been reflecting on for awhile. And i think the all makes a lot of sense.

I think D&D want the show to be relevant/re-watchable even after the final books come out. They can't bring the last several seasons completely into the realm of fanfiction with no connection to the actual plot. If they did, when AWoW is published (in a couple years) their show would not have a meaningful connection to the source material anymore. So viewers and readers would want to see the real ending brought to life on screen and be disappointed or a new TV show may be made too soon.

So they have to spoil the ending, because their renewals and their child-actors' believability can only last a few more years, and GRRM has apparently given them the OK to do so. After the youtube montages of GRRM saying "in the books" when reviewing the show and him waiting decades to sell the movie/TV show rights so an adaption can be done the way he wants, I don't think he will let them end his series a way he doesn't fully support. Which will be an ending like "in the books."

I like both the show and the books so I'm interested in seeing where they take it. But I have no doubt that the books will be better and even if I know the end result I'm prepared for an excellent read to get me there. Are we expecting Jon's last chapter in DwD being episode #9 this season?

Where HBO hurts us is that many of the characters in the books that have teased us with potential importance have been shot down into nothingness. This includes

- Euron Greyjoy

- Arianne Martell

- Young Griff/Aegon

- Victarion Greyjoy

- Willas Tyrell

- Garland Tyrell

- The Darkstar

- Aurane Waters

50/50 Bran

50/50 Rickon

and a few others (not The Others)

I doubt that. HBO already gone too far from books, characters replaced, personalities swifted, story altered.

The endgame will be the same, me thinks. Endgame as in, who sits on the Iron Throne, who wins the battle for the dawn, how Daenerys deals with Westeros when she gets there etc. That's how I see it.

The endgame will be the same, me thinks. Endgame as in, who sits on the Iron Throne, who wins the battle for the dawn, how Daenerys deals with Westeros when she gets there etc. That's how I see it.

but the way by which they get there will be different ! with different characters reaching the end, doing things differently.

Hell.... even the actual ending might be in the same zone, but could have a complete different meaning in the books.

I'm not too worried. D+D's idea of a faithful adaptation seems to differ quite a lot from mine. Their idea of "we're spoiling the ending" is probably my idea of "the broad plot will be the same." The fates of Jon, Dany, Tyrion and Bran will likely be the same. There'll be a big fight with the Others. A lot of the rest will be completely different.

We already knew this ever since D&D sat down with George to go over the main plot points for the rest of the series. Personally I think the show will end up being 8 seasons, not 7. It looks like TWOW may actually come out in a few months, so I think George actually has a chance of getting book 7 out before season 8 airs, and he said a few days ago he still intends to end it in 7 books. If George can pull it off, we will have a bunch of things spoiled by the show but not everything and not the ending.

Please please tell me this has been confirmed

Zap2it spoke with Martin at the "Game of Thrones" Season 5 premiere in San Francisco and brought up the comments by Benioff fellow EP and D.B.

Am I missing something here? Season 5 premiere?

I guess the show's ending is inevitable, but I would prefer to have the final books and closet myself up in a room and have a marathon read to find out the ending. Then come here and read what you have to say about it. Even if you didn't watch the show, the ending would be all over the internet. I'll just have to put on my big girl panties and 'get over it' lol

Archived