[SPOILERS] Black Sails - Season 4 on the Horizon.

Arkash

I'm already sad that there is only nine episodes left....lol

Yeah, I'd be surprised if the name Eleanor gave to Rodgers wasn't Vane's .... She was taken before Flint went on his rampage

Even more than Hornigold, I really really really want Duphrene to die badly

Silver's peg is bad ass...lol

Ray Stephenson never dissapoints

This is hands down the best produced show on television right now. Everything about this episode was incredibly well done. There are not enough good words to describe this series. 

I am going to have to disagree with the assessment that the name given by Eleanor to Rodgers was Vane's. There is only one name out there that would have pulled her from the hangman's noose, and it isn't Vane. With the addition of Ray Stevenson this year as a lead, and the knowledge that we have to have a Captain Silver, I am going to predict it is Flint we bid adieu to by the end of the season, possibly even quicker. His death has already been set up in the narrative. 

The premier was great, as expected. This really is one of my favourite show currently on-air. Blackbeard and Woodes Roger were fantastic and I am looking forward to see more of them. I really like Silver has ended up and his relationship with not only Flint, but also the rest crew. I also hope that Mr. Scott gets more to do this season than he did the last one.

However I am a little disappointed that we never actually got to see Flint and Vane's return to Nassau and their confrontation with Jack.

3 hours ago, The_Gallows_Knight said:

The premier was great, as expected. This really is one of my favourite show currently on-air. Blackbeard and Woodes Roger were fantastic and I am looking forward to see more of them. I really like Silver has ended up and his relationship with not only Flint, but also the rest crew. I also hope that Mr. Scott gets more to do this season than he did the last one.

However I am a little disappointed that we never actually got to see Flint and Vane's return to Nassau and their confrontation with Jack.

Maybe we'll see it in a flashback.

Well, for me it's simply the best show on TV right now.

I really enjoyed the first season, but the second one is above, by far. And that third one is starting in great shape !

5 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I watched the first 2 episodes of the first season of this show and decided it was hilariously low quality in too many areas for me to stick with it. I'm hearing from some people that it gets better though? 

It is terrible... You shouldn't watch, said everyone in the thread made for discussing the show.

Haven't gone through the last 2 pages or so, but the BF and I are about to watch. First up, steaks to match! Yeah, we had 'em last night too, but he keeps telling me I'm not old and I keep saying that heart disease is an old people problem, so... YAY!?! COMPROMISE!

I saw it yesterday night. I'm so glad that Sails is back and I'm even more grateful that it lived up to expectations so far. It was a really strong opening episode and very different to last season's great starter (more characterdriven I feel). Black Sails keeps amazing me with these bold writing choices. I was sure like half the season would feature pirates fighting amongst themselves for the Urca gold, but they just skipped that part. Not many shows would dare take that risk I feel, which makes it even better when Sails does it succesfully.

Flint was magnificent this episode. I mean, the dude is clearly on the brink of losing it, but Toby Stephens is such a powerhouse as an actor, the charisma is still oozing out from the screen. When he shot that honest magistrate and his wife, that was dreadful, but damn it, I'm still rooting for the guy. The pirates might be doomed (and they are a bunch of murderous bastards to boot), but damn it if I don't cheer for them. I'm glad that this season seems to work towards the shading of the English as well. Hornigold is working for them now, Woodes Rogers seems like a jovial fella and that honest magistrate was a nice change from the previous corrupt ones.

Blackbeard is also shaping up nicely. Everything Ray Stevenson does is gold and I'm so happy that he gets to star on another great show. I do wonder where he'll fit in exactly, because after last year's Ned Lowe party I'm kind of unwilling to get attached to anyone. He'll probably do out the season and then die at the end I suppose. Would love having him around for a while longer. 

If I had one qualm about this episode, it would be that I have a hard time connecting one dot in particular. What happened to Flint's Man-of-War? His crew is back on the Walrus right? And Vane wasn't using it either. That man-of-war seemed like an integral part to the Flint Mythos to me (biggest pirate = biggest ship as it were) and I kind of miss it. 

On 24-1-2016 at 6:30 AM, Howdyphillip said:

I am going to have to disagree with the assessment that the name given by Eleanor to Rodgers was Vane's. There is only one name out there that would have pulled her from the hangman's noose, and it isn't Vane. With the addition of Ray Stevenson this year as a lead, and the knowledge that we have to have a Captain Silver, I am going to predict it is Flint we bid adieu to by the end of the season, possibly even quicker. His death has already been set up in the narrative. 

I think Vane's name is the stronger bet. He's one of the most important pirate leaders and she has a serious bone to pick with him. Plus, knowing Eleanor she probably hasn't given up yet. If she can escape and return to Nassau, Flint would be an ally, while Vane would stand in her way more. 

Of course, that piece of paper isn't exactly a deathnote ;) It's perfectly possible for her to have written Vane's name down and it actually being Flint who bites it at the end of the season. If I have to choose out of those two, I'd rather say goodbye to Vane though. I'm crew Flint all the way :P 

Just out of curiousity has there been confirmation that we'll eventually follow Long John in search for Flint's treasure? I don't think we'll actually see the events in Treasure Island

My guess is this show ends after the treasure is burried and Flint's ultimate fate is decided. I personally still hold out hope that he might. There is just enough wiggleroom in the account of Flint's death in Treasure Island for him to slip away (although, that's probably not going to happen, it's not his style). Still, I can't help but feeling the way I do.

Starz has a way of making you do that. With Spartacus as well, I kept

rooting for him to get away, since there are historical sources that say his body was never found. I was sure and hopeful they'd use that as a way of getting him off the hook. When he died though, that was a wonderful scene. I hope they'll be able to create some similar pathos for Flint if he does die

That was awesome, I'm so glad its back. I think Black Sails is the best show on tv right now.

The little tease of Blackbeard was perfect. I hope he sticks around for a while.

Flint is an absolute mad man, but I love it. 

I hope they do a flashback to the meeting between Jack Flint and Vane. Especially since Vane had to be the one to calm down the situation.

43 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

lol, well my question was whether anyone felt the show improved greatly after a weak start. If people liked it from the very start then I guess I doubt I'll enjoy it. 

I quite liked the pilot, but then again, I love pirates and I have always wanted Toby Stephens to take on more high profile roles. Episode 2 - 4 though, boy those are rough. I like them now, because I know what they were building too, but you most definitely have to know that episode three and four are this show at rockbottom.  

It's basically the part of the story where it looks like they'll stay on the island forever and then you think "oh, it's that kind of cheap show." I also feel like Luke Arnorld's John Silver didn't work back then. He owned the role in season two, but  he got of to a bad start in the first season. The worst is probably Max her storyline though. Probably the biggest false note this show has struck.

From episode five onwards though, it greatly improves right until the end of the first season. And then when the second season starts, it's like it operates on a wholly different (and much higher) plain of quality. It really does get a lot better, because the writers finally seem to have gotten every character into the place they wanted them to be in the first place. 

Thanks, thats really good to know. It might be my new show once I get through Vikings on Amazon. I seem to remember thinking the Pilot for BS was good actually, well promising I guess is the best way to describe it. But once they docked on land the show took a massive drop down in quality, it was at that point I wondered what the hell I was doing watching it. 

9 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Thanks, thats really good to know. It might be my new show once I get through Vikings on Amazon. I seem to remember thinking the Pilot for BS was good actually, well promising I guess is the best way to describe it. But once they docked on land the show took a massive drop down in quality, it was at that point I wondered what the hell I was doing watching it. 

S2 is leaps better than S1. You can pretty much skip the first season and have some fun with trying to figure stuff out in the first few eps of S2. 

4 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I think BS S01E01 is like the best pilot I've ever seen, but the show takes a definite dive off the plank into snooze infested waters for about five episodes. I don't recommend what Relic suggested, because I think the last few episodes of the season are pretty compelling. But if you don't wanna sit through it, maybe look at wiki plot synopsis' for season 1 until you feel like 'oh, hey! this seems compelling' and then tune in to that episode.

I thought that once the show really takes off, it never looks back though.

One can hope in this third season the writers have figured out more to do with Anne Bonny.

Alas, again I won't be watching this until it's on dvd -- too busy, and, as well, I'm not impatient.  However, unlike the rest of you, I had a difficult time engaging with season 2.  That might have been because I was so out of the watching groove due to being on the road so much, I dunno.  But I don't have warm happy feelings about season 2.

I'm wondering if we'll ever see Mary Read. Or is Max filling that role?

Spoiler

@ Channel4s-Jon Snow. I enjoyed season 1, but the show definitely improves in season 2 when the Urca and its gold is no longer the macguffin of the series and other story arcs take over and the characters branch out.

Archived