[SPOILERS] Black Sails - Season 4 on the Horizon.

Arkash

I can't say I noticed much CGI. I was more than a little bit buzzed though, so there is that :dunno: I think I should probably rewatch the episode, because I feel like I missed some things (sound was really crappy, plus alcohol. Not a good combo). Still, I did really enjoy it. I like their more characterdriven start (although that stormsequence was probably a big drain on the budget no?) and I wonder how the rest of the season is going to evolve.  

Another good episode.

Silver continues be the best union rep the Walrus has ever had. His reveal to Flint was excellent. About time he really laid it on the line and confronted Flint. It's clear Flint still scares the hell out of him though. I do enjoy the dynamics with Sliver and Flint and Billy playing mediator.

Calico Jack's speech to the pirates was entertaining. "I will be your daddy." If there's a survivor in the bunch, it's Jack. Well, besides Silver.

It appears Woodes realizes how much of an asset Eleanor is to him. He seems to have a new respect for her. I love how they are driving a wedge between Flint, Vane and Rackham. However, Blackbeard seems to be exactly what New Providence needs in Flint's absence. I'm interested in Blackbeard's long game. I hope it's not as simple as he says it is.

This is the only show I watch the opening credits. I love that song.

Yeah, cant get enough of that opening music and visuals ! 

The shark-hunting scene was quite intense as well !

Loved how you could feel the thirst and exhaustion on the ship (Silver's dry lips were a nice touch... actually, everyone must have had them, but I really noticed it on him more than others).

Yeah, Rackham's speech was great ! He and Silver are the two characters that I like the most, but I always loved "silver tongue" characters and they are exactly that !

The new episodes are not consistently on On Demand, however. Last week's episode still isn't available, but they usually are available the day of. I'm not sure what other premium stations do that. I know HBO doesn't make episodes available until after they air.

5 minutes ago, Astromech said:

The new episodes are not consistently on On Demand, however. Last week's episode still isn't available, but they usually are available the day of. I'm not sure what other premium stations do that. I know HBO doesn't make episodes available until after they air.

But they are available immediately as they air with HBO GO, which is free with an HBO sub.

9 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I'll be watching through the Amazon streaming service. Apparently they don't make the episodes available before air time.

Amazon UK is doing a good job with this season. It goes online Sunday Morning so it's essentially released at the same time over here. Funny how a show about pirates is tackling piracy in a sensible manner.

5 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

That shark scene was fucking fabulous.... another great episode... and it was a bridge episode

Really good sfx - I'm guessing it was a mixture of CGI with a lump of something for the actors to work with. It was great fun especially with Flints "one more". Toby Stephens is easily in TV's elite at the moment. The way he conveys so much in a look is great. The entire scene with Miranda really touched me (great delivery from the actress too) but Flint's face was painful to look at, all the rage, hurt and confusion. Then there's the scene of him in the hammock smiling and almost looking content. I think he may be reaching a turning point at least internally.

No idea where they wound up at the end of the episode. Are they native islanders or a slave crew that got stranded there? Should be fun to see how they interact. I like how this season seems to be split 50/50 between Nassau politics and genuine pirate/sailing adventure. I think it's probably the season I'd urge newcomers to watch in terms of delivering pirate action.

I also like how Nassau played out. I always appreciate the use of diplomacy as a weapon and what was happening at the end of the scene was the worst outcome for Nassau - losing men without a single loss from the enemy. There's even a chance the defectors work for the British.

Considering there's not much of anything on air at the moment it's astounding this show isn't getting more attention. It'd be top of my view list if you threw all the peak shows in.

I thought the same thing as Jack Bauer. But then I realized there are 7 more episodes this season, so hopefully they don't get stranded there too long. 

A stab in the dark for what transpires in Nassau: Flint returns with a ragtag fleet and breaks the blockade set up by the British 

3 hours ago, PyroclasticFlow said:

I thought the same thing as Jack Bauer. But then I realized there are 7 more episodes this season, so hopefully they don't get stranded there too long. 

A stab in the dark for what transpires in Nassau: Flint returns with a ragtag fleet and breaks the blockade set up by the British 

I was looking at the historical period the show is currently covering and they don't really need to do much other than adapt and dramatise what actually happened.

History spoilers EDIT: No idea why it's not in spoiler text and I'd have to redo the post to correct as it isn't deleting. New formatting options are frustrating. Anyway it's history so not a guaranteed spoiler. But that's like watching "JFK" and getting annoyed someone tells you he was assassinated

Spoiler

"In August 1718, Governor Woodes Rogers arrived in Nassau with two

men-of-war full of troops to oversee the pardon and, more importantly for Vane, to capture those who violated it. Most pirates accepted the enforced pardon, but Vane resisted it and any who attempted to honestly reform. He made an impression by firing on the Royal Navy immediately, and sent a letter to Rogers demanding to be allowed to dispose of his plundered goods before accepting the King's pardon. As night fell, Vane knew that his situation was impossible, so he set fire to his flagship and sent it towards the Navy ships, hoping to destroy them in a massive explosion. The Navy ships were able to cut their anchor lines and get away, but Vane and his men escaped in his fast six-gun sloop, defiantly firing at the governor as he passed and threatening to return. He evaded the few Royal Navy vessels in the area and sailed north. " taken from wikipedia

Interesting idea they may have landed on treasure island. I guess they have to leave though as there's no treasure there yet! Hopefully we'll get their take on "trouble with the natives" next episode.

So I think I may have missed something with this big partnership with Jack, Vane and Flint. I know they decided they needed to work together against the Royal Navy, but is that the only reason Flint and Vane signed on? Just to keep Nassau? Flint lost his gold and Vane lost the fort, did either of them get a cut from the gold or anything?

The scene between Flint and Silver was intense and strangely poignant. Stephens is an amazing actor and Arnold has really grown into his role. His admission that without the crew he'd only be an invalid was quite moving. And I think that Flint losing Miranda hit him so hard, because he lost the last bridge to his old self and the only person who knew the before and the after, leaving him with loneliness and hopelessness.

Looking back at season 1, I never would have expected such a high quality characterization. Almost all characters are well-rounded, interesting and realistic.

4 minutes ago, maria underfoot said:

The scene between Flint and Silver was intense and strangely poignant. Stephens is an amazing actor and Arnold has really grown into his role. His admission that without the crew he'd only be an invalid was quite moving. And I think that Flint losing Miranda hit him so hard, because he lost the last bridge to his old self and the only person who knew the before and the after, leaving him with loneliness and hopelessness.

Looking back at season 1, I never would have expected such a high quality characterization. Almost all characters are well-rounded, interesting and realistic.

What's curious with Silver is how he's growing into a less selfish person. It's almost sad that he'll eventually go back to his old self. It will be interesting to see how that occurs. That said from my recollection of reading treasure island he was always a complicated "villain" in that he seemed like a good guy for a lot of it.

I saw the episode yesterday, but was unable to comment yet. It was another very strong, but strangely quiet episode. Yet another case of Black Sails doing some heavy lifting character building wise. I do believe that next week will be filled with action, with the potentially hostile natives and former pirates out to collect the bounty on Vanes head (+ daring escape out of the bay). That is going to be one hell of a ride. 

Every one was really good, but Toby Stephens takes the cake yet again. From his visions off Miranda (I loved how the show made her into sort of a motherfigure to Flint, who is indeed a wholly different figure to the kindhearted James we saw in flashbacks last season), to the sharkhunt, the man just sells it.

My favourite moment of the episode was his execution of the two crewmembers (for a moment, I was thinking that he engineered the theft) and the scene in his cabin afterwards. I loved it so much because it was such a great showcase for one of the most important themes of the show, namely Flint turning himself into a legend, more a force of nature than an actual, living and breathing pirate (even Blackbeard can't match that), while at the same time, the backend of that scene shows us that it's killing him from the inside. 

I think Black Sails is doing a bang-up job with this aspect of the show (even by the show's own very high standard). I mean, back in season one Flint was a great pirate, but he wasn't exactly the stuff that legends were made off (although in hindsight we all have to admit, Flint already staked his claim to legendary status in the first episode with that brilliant speech). Back then his crew was still more than willing to revolt. Now though, with the exception of Silver, there is not one amongst them who would even dare to raise his voice to Flint.

What other pirate captain could get away with dividing the crew into two groups, with one crew receiving no nourishment? Or for that matter, what other pirate captain could just summiraly execute two guys without much ceremony? And what other pirate captain could get his crew to blindly follow him into a storm (as Silver pointed out)?

No one, not even Blackbeard I would imagine. Flint has them exactly where he wants them to be. And you can't blame the crew really. Flint is the guy who brought them the Urca gold, who took a man-of-war with only minimal help, who bombed Charlestown into smithereens, executes the King's magistrates and gouvernors, who braved a shipkilling storm and goes fucking shark hunting to replenish supplies. He's definitely terrifying, but I totally believe why they'd still follow him through pretty much anything. I can't stress enough how remarkable that particular feat is. We often get told that protagonist A is an exceptional leader, who commands fierce loyalty of his troopers, but rarely do I see that represented on screen. 

Of course it makes sense. The remaining pirates in Treasure Island still identified themselves as Flint's men. The show needs to show where that comes from and they are doing fine. They aren't finished yet though, I think Flint is going to pull off some rather epic deeds this season and I can't wait to see how he does it. I do think that that Spanish fleet is going to figure into it. Woods Rogers is not the only threat and those Spaniards will come into play I think. 

15 hours ago, red snow said:

I was looking at the historical period the show is currently covering and they don't really need to do much other than adapt and dramatise what actually happened.

I do hope they'll have a role for the Man-of-war though. I would really be bummed out if they lost that ship. I feel like it's part of the mythos already. 

14 hours ago, Pliskin said:

From what I understand, everyone got a share. It's Nassau's gold.

I think that's overselling it. I think the gold was split between Flint's crew - Vane's crew - Rackham/Anne/Max and their crew. Of course since they are magnanimously spending the gold to repair the fortress and fill the pockets of the other pirates, it might as well be divided amongst all. 

18 hours ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

Thanks! Also, was that

Hidden Content

at the end?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say yes. I mean, mysterious island out in the middle of nowhere, not found on a map. What else could it be?

Archived