Name the smartest and the dumbest decision that House Lannister ever made

James Steller

Smartest- getting Casterley Rock

Dumbest- killing Tywin. No matter what you think of him as a person, with his shit the chances of the Lannister dynasty being the future rulers of Westeros went down the toilet.

I don't see how that's dumb, considering Tyrion's goal is to destroy his entire father's legacy.

It all depends on hindsight and all. Maybe the worst decision was to have a third kid which killed Joanna and left the Lannisters with their matriarch?

But in this case Kings Landing would probably have fallen to Stannis since Tyrion was quite successfull as hand. Of course you can blame Tywin raising Tyrion up, but I wanted to adress the issue directly with his death, which marks their recent downfall.

But in this case Kings Landing would probably have fallen to Stannis since Tyrion was quite successfull as hand. Of course you can blame Tywin raising Tyrion up, but I wanted to adress the issue directly with his death, which marks their recent downfall.

Or maybe with Joanna alive the Lannisters wouldn't hav found themselves in the situation that they did from the go? Maybe she would have broken up Jaime's and Cersei's relationship, maybe Tywin would not have been all steel, maybe Cersei wouldn't have been as crazy with a female role model in her life? The only thing I know is that if we change one fact, it will change the others as well.

Or maybe with Joanna alive the Lannisters wouldn't hav found themselves in the situation that they did from the go? Maybe she would have broken up Jaime's and Cersei's relationship, maybe Tywin would not have been all steel, maybe Cersei wouldn't have been as crazy with a female role model in her life? The only thing I know is that if we change one fact, it will change the others as well.

True, but these are to many maybes for one discussion I think.

Smartest
Tywin repairing the damage done by his father and taking control to solidify House Lannister’s rule

Dumbest
Tywin expecting too much from his children while neglecting their emotional welfare in the process

Jaime and Cersei’s “extracurricular activities” and many people in the realm have suffered for it

Taking CR is an unknown...don't see how we can count it.

Smartest: developing a double-edged reputation for always paying debts.

Dumbest: either cutting off the Iron Bank or rearming of Faith Militant if we can call 'Baratheon' decisions Lannister ones. Otherwise I think they mostly make smart choices, though it might have been wiser to take intermediary steps between Cat-napped Tyrion and chevauchees across the RL. I doubt it works, but I think your better supported if you at least try a diplomatic solution first.

Smartest

Tywin appointed as Hand of the King to Aerys II. While Tywin might not have been a social butterfly, the man had an excellent work ethic. He implemented many ideas, in an effort to appease the king and citizens alike. Tywin really did his best to bring some semblance of order to the realm, because someone reliable had to save Aerys from his fool self. And what was Tywin’s reward? He was met with scorn and distrust.

Another smart move from Tywin was packing up and leaving King’s Landing.

James Steller, master thread builder. Interesting thread again.

Smartest: Lann gets Casterly Rock.

Dumbest: Tywin doesn't kill the Spider when he has a chance and lets him stay in power.

The smartest decision was pretty easy. The dumbest is tough. I'd say alienating Tyrion was dumb. But that was done by group effort of at least two Lannisters, and the thread asks to pick one Lannister. If Tywin is nicer to Tyrion, Cersei probably still finds a way to get rid of him sooner or later because she hates him and because of the prophecy. Or maybe Varys kills him first. Or maybe Varys helps Cersei to get rid of him.

Another option, killing Tywin, that was terrible for them, but again, Varys probably would've done it anyway. Or maybe Tywin would've died of some illness soon enough, he's close to 60, so he's still close to prime by modern standards, but he's quite old by medieval standards.

So I chose letting Varys live and stay in power. If he dies after the rebellion, there's no Aegon plot, there's probably no Dany-Drogo marriage and she gets no dragons, Tyrion doesn't escape through secret passages and doesn't kill Tywin, Kevan and Pycelle don't get killed. Also, maybe the whole Ned affair would turn out differently too. Varys played a part in convincing him to publicly confess, maybe Ned would stay alive in prison otherwise, Robb wouldn't get crowned and the conflict between Lannisters and the North wouldn't escalate as far.

If you want to rule a country, make sure the secret service boss is on your side.

Archived