[TWOW Spoilers] Alayne I, v. 2

Or someone has been in his ear, as LF was in Joff's.

A big possibility. Then again, Sweetrobin seems to have either super-hearing or greensight or a skinchanging ability. I wonder if Sweetrobin heard or dreamed Harry talking trash.

“I hate that Harry,” Sweetrobin said when she was gone. “He calls me cousin, but he’s just waiting for me to die so he can take the Eyrie. He thinks I don’t know, but I do.”

It's the last part that peaked my interest. "He thinks I don't know, but I do."

How does Sweetrobin know how Harry thinks? He hasn't seen Harry in a long time.

If Littlefinger had whispered in Sweetrobin's ears, wouldn't Sweetrobin have said something like "He thinks I don't know, Lord Petyr said so."

Sweetrobin tends to have a big mouth when it comes to what other people say and do:

"Lord Nestor has a mole," he said, squirming. Robert was afraid of men with moles. "Mommy said he was dreadful."

"Maester Colemonput something vile in my milk last night, I could taste it. I told him I wanted sweetmilk, but he wouldn't bring me any. Not even when I commanded him. I am the lord, he should do what I say. No one does what I say."

Would Littlefinger really trust Sweetrobin not to blab?

What has George been hinting at?

The chapter is already 6700 words long, which is enormous. I don't think there's anything more to it.

This is the second sample chapter in a row that specifically talks about where lemons naturally grow (not to mention all the hints in the released books.) Lemongate is not going away.

As many others have pointed out, this chapter is in need of editing, even for simple typos. I think George released it, like Mercy, so that the book readers wouldn't be spoiled by the show, but that he hasn't gotten beyond his rough draft yet. The total length of the chapter once published could be very different.

Am I the only one who thinks this is not the full chapter? Usually the chapters end on some kind of cliffhanger, major or minor. It seems to me that Who's going to wear my favor?!! is not the actual ending, but rather the tournament and the 'controversial' part have been omitted. (I don't want to get on the bad side of the King of the Board, but the explanation for why this chapter was considered controversial was, well, unconvincing.)

When George stops hinting at it I'll stop posting about it.

It's just the first chapter in the novel, so there's not really any reason to expect a huge cliffhanger. In fact, I far prefer this kind of ending to all the cliffhangers we got in ADwD.

And I hate to keep going about "lemongate", but George has not hinted at it at all. All he's told us is that lemons aren't sold in Braavos because of its climate, but that doesn't mean they can't be grown privately.

Patrick, it's irrelevant whether you think it's relevant what I think or not, because the foot crisis as you predict it has not been foreshadowed in the books.

LOL, okay. If you think all the characters worrying about food supplies isn't some ominous foreshadowing then that's fine, but I respectfully disagree. A food shortage has been appropriately set up and would make sense within the narrative. Sansa using the food in the Vale to feed the realm, in contrast, feels far too convenient.

I'm not saying it WILL happen, I'm just saying what I think will happen based on what I have interpreted as foreshadowing. You are more than welcome to disagree, but our argument is irrelevant; only TWoW will reveal which one of us is right.

Lot of people are saying Sweetrobin is perceptive in understanding Harry's ambitions. But SR was raised by Lysa, most paranoid person in Westeros after Cersei. I'm sure Lysa would have fed her son with mistrust towards anyone who could overthrow his position in the Vale.

That said, I too felt pity for SR for the first time. His love for Alayne is truer than LF and Harry's.

Perhaps, but its unlikely that Lysa would have said anything to Sweetrobin to upset him.

Remember this scene from AGoT:

The boy is Lord of the Eyrie and Defender of the Vale," Catelyn reminded her, "and these are no times for delicacy. Ned thinks it may come to war."

"Quiet!" Lysa snapped at her. "You're scaring the boy." Little Robert took a quick peek over his shoulder at Catelyn and began to tremble.

This is the second sample chapter in a row that specifically talks about where lemons naturally grow (not to mention all the hints in the released books.) Lemongate is not going away.

As many others have pointed out, this chapter is in need of editing, even for simple typos. I think George released it, like Mercy, so that the book readers wouldn't be spoiled by the show, but that he hasn't gotten beyond his rough draft yet. The total length of the chapter once published could be very different.

Considering he wrote the chapter back in 2010, I think it's fair to assume it's a final draft...

I think he knows who she is. I think it's great that his sigil is a white mouse with red eyes, like a weirwood. I'd like it if he has a connection to the North and that his plans aren't to necessarily bring her to Cersei to collect, but to help restore her to the North.

As to Ser Shadrich, this line intrigued me:

“A mouse with wings would be a silly sight.”

In German however there is just such a thing; a fledermaus or flying mouse - a bat.

And oddly enough the "extinct" House Lothston, one-time Lords of Harrelhal had the bat as their sigil - and an evil reputation, with Lady Danelle seemingly modelled on Countess Bathory. She was also an ally of Bloodraven and supposedly the last of her line.

http://awoiaf.wester...anelle_Lothston

In German however there is just such a thing; a fledermaus or flying mouse - a bat.

And oddly enough the "extinct" House Lothston, one-time Lords of Harrelhal had the bat as their sigil - and an evil reputation, with Lady Danelle seemingly modelled on Countess Bathory. She was also an ally of Bloodraven and supposedly the last of her line.

Interesting. And Harrenhal was the place of another important tourney. Eff it, calling it now, Shadrich = Howland Reed. :)

Great catch! Another Sansa bat reference.

The eight Winged Knights hit me as well. That's 8 winged knights plus THE Winged Knight, Ser Sweetrobin, which equals 9. Nine winged companions. Like the sigil of House Whent.

Finally read it. I enjoyed it a great deal. It was nice to finally get some more perspective in the Vale.

I'm impressed with how much Sansa has grown and learned from everything she's been through. She knows just how to deal with Robert, Myranda, Shett, the Waynwoods, and even Harry when he's being an arse. With that said, her inner monologue reminds us that even though she has matured, she still has worries in regards to pleasing Harry and LF. As comfortable as she's become, she knows that she still has to tread carefully.

Sansa still burdens many concerns that she's had for many books now, but she's become a lot better at masking that.

I loved her dialogue with Harry at the feast. So far, this and Arianne's chapter have been my favorite early releases from WoW.

I think this was NOT the "controversial" chapter, but a set-up to it.

Also, another thing I found interesting: How, early on in the chapter, Sansa thought of Tyrion, in a way that suggests she herself would believe in the validity of the Sansa / Tyrion marriage, and indeed, hang on to its validity at some point, even though she has legal grounds (i.e. non-consummation) for annulling it.

Which suggests to me - and indeed goes along with my previously expressed theory - that Sansa, when announcing herself, will *refuse* the annulment of her marriage to Tyrion, and possibly even use it to get out of marrying Harry Hardyng.

Which, of course, will throw a huge wedge in Littlefinger's plans... but not necessarily in Harry's: he doesn't need to marry anyone to be the heir of Jon Arryn, all he needs is Sweetrobin to die. And while he's a dick, I don't believe Harry would resort to murder: he hopes Sweetrobin will die, he fully expects it to happen, but he won't be part of a conspiracy to bring it about, having neither the wit nor the malice to do so.

As such, even if Sansa reveals her true identity and refuses to wed Harry, there would be no reason for him not to be a useful ally, should she decide to turn on Littlefinger and either expose his crimes or dispose of him another way...

Better than him being High Septon for sure. I think he is still at greywater watch though.

Yeah, I haven't ruled out anything, but I'm not a fan of that theory.

Great catch! Another Sansa bat reference.

The eight Winged Knights hit me as well. That's 8 winged knights plus THE Winged Knight, Ser Sweetrobin, which equals 9. Nine winged companions. Like the sigil of House Whent.

Nice!

I like that the tourney and Winged Knights were Sansa's idea. She's certainly getting really good at using the weapons of a lady (and not the one Cersei told her about). I also think situations like this will put Petyr in a position where he grows too comfortable and trusting of Sansa and that may very well lead to his downfall.

And I hate to keep going about "lemongate", but George has not hinted at it at all. All he's told us is that lemons aren't sold in Braavos because of its climate, but that doesn't mean they can't be grown privately.

He just told us that the "high and mighty" of the Vale have to resort to Dorne to get some lemons. The Vale is South of Braavos. So, either all local lemon resources are exhausted or there are no lemon trees in the Vale.

He absolutely has, but the fact remains that nobody has found anything controversial about it, so we must wonder if some parts of this chapter have been omitted.

He's already gone on record and explained why he thought it was controversial. Her burgeoning sexuality and the fact that the Hound isn't mentioned anywhere. He's also said numerous times in the past that the "controversial" remark was completely overhyped by the fandom and blown way out of proportion, hence why people are confused when reading this chapter.

Archived