small things that annoy you ?

TheLightning Lord

When people refer to the books as A Game of Thrones.

OMG I know! All those stupid click-bait articles that refer to GRRM as “the author of Game of Thrones” drive me up the wall.

When people conflate show and book canon or try to use the show to “prove” things within the book canon.

Dany always whining about how she's just a little girl

And forgetting her love for Drogo when saying she was sold into slavery. Like she wasn't OK with it until she lost the khalasar and had to struggle again.

And forgetting her love for Drogo when saying she was sold into slavery. Like she wasn't OK with it until she lost the khalasar and had to struggle again.

I don't think she was always ok with it, necessarily. Just because she liked the destination doesn't mean she enjoyed every step of the journey. I know what you're saying; SOME if it is hindsight from someone who now assumes they are in charge of everyone else and looking back at a time she wasn't is less appealing than it was at the time. That said I didn't get the sense in most of GoT that she was anything like happy. I think she got there, kinda, but that's different.

Castles falling like dominoes. Especially during the Riverlands campaign; Tywin and Gregor take the mightiest castles around while they're strongly garrisoned with no noted fight. Why did the Riverlords even build them? Of course, when the "bad guys" hold them, THEN they're treated like actual castles.

My personal pet peeve; characters who are viewed as victims of an unjust system because they were only born into a position of superiority over 99.9999999999993% of the people in that system. It IS an unjust system, but 95% of the people we read about are the beneficiaries of that injustice much more than it's victims. For example, Stannis or Cersei are completely pissed that a few of the many millions of people they share the world with have it better. I mean, I get them thinking it; people bitch.

But how any of us buy into it is mind blowing to me. Either one of them could effectively point at any passing peasant and say 'that person tried to rob me' and that peasant would be very, very lucky if they were merely sentenced to the NW or SS for the rest of their natural lives. And peasants make up almost the entire population.

Castles falling like dominoes. Especially during the Riverlands campaign; Tywin and Gregor take the mightiest castles around while they're strongly garrisoned with no noted fight. Why did the Riverlords even build them? Of course, when the "bad guys" hold them, THEN they're treated like actual castles.

Yeah, it's nonsensical. Magic geo-stratgically perfect thousand year old castles which preserve unbroken lines going back into what would be pre-history for us and SE holding out for a year is a really big deal.

My personal pet peeve; characters who are viewed as victims of an unjust system because they were only born into a position of superiority over 99.9999999999993% of the people in that system. It IS an unjust system, but 95% of the people we read about are the beneficiaries of that injustice much more than it's victims. For example, Stannis or Cersei are completely pissed that a few of the many millions of people they share the world with have it better. I mean, I get them thinking it; people bitch.

But how any of us buy into it is mind blowing to me.

Now I want to have your babies :-)

But this so fricken much!!! The characters we see are so priveldged yet assholes who think they are owed the world and their complaints are so small and non important compared to the other people who have inhumane atrocities done to them yet the defense that the characters get are confusing.

And the majority of characters act exactly like this and people use their non sympathetic background to excuse their despicable actions when people who have gone through worse are still decent people. Tywin, Jaime, Cersi, Tyrion, Robert, Stannis, Renly, Lysa, etc.... are examples.

But how any of us buy into it is mind blowing to me. Either one of them could effectively point at any passing peasant and say 'that person tried to rob me' and that peasant would be very, very lucky if they were merely sentenced to the NW or SS for the rest of their natural lives. And peasants make up almost the entire population.

Of course, just because Cersei is super rich, that doesn't mean she's wrong when she complains about her being seen as inferior because of her gender. Or when she complains about getting raped by her husband.

Now I want to have your babies :-)

But this so fricken much!!! The characters we see are so priveldged yet assholes who think they are owed the world and their complaints are so small and non important compared to the other people who have inhumane atrocities done to them yet the defense that the characters get are confusing.

And the majority of characters act exactly like this and people use their non sympathetic background to excuse their despicable actions when people who have gone through worse are still decent people. Tywin, Jaime, Cersi, Tyrion, Robert, Stannis, Renly, Lysa, etc.... are examples.

Well, now. It's not every day that my progeny get wanted via an exchange of ASOIaF opinions, so cheers for making today a little bit special. :) I wish I could use this to brag, but the only one home is my gf, and she'd just accuse me of sock puppeting myself (again).

Sigh. No one (except maybe you ideally and our kids) gets me.

That said, I agree with your agreement. We are reading about the, well, not to get too Marxist about it, but the social parasites of a post-feudal society who forgot to get the post part. It's borderline fucking medieval is what it is! We are reading about the do-nothing upper caste lay-abouts who live off the sweat of the proletariat! (Forget what I said about not getting Marxist, but come on; who does adjective-based slogans better than Marxists? No, Leninists DO NOT COUNT.)

Anyways, this jocularity is double barrelled. First, to affirm your affirmation of me, and state that yes, I mean it, but second to give you some time to reconsider the whole planned parenthood angle. I feel, from experience, that it saves a lot of (jail) time if both parties know what they're getting into.

Of course, just because Cersei is super rich, that doesn't mean she's wrong when she complains that she's seen as inferior for being a woman. Or when she complains about getting raped by her husband.

She's inferior to the male side of her upper 0.0000000000000000000007 %. Do you have any idea how ridiculous it is to point out THAT smidget of injustice in the big huge junkyard of social inequity that means she even gets to experience what it's like to ever be in a room all by herself? (Something most medieval humans never, ever experience once, sharing their roofed lives with various families and livestock/vermin as they do.)

But Cersei only has the power of life and death over the vast majority of her fellow persons as a birthright instead of all of them as Blind Justice would have it.

I'd weep for her, but she's not even looking. My parents weren't royalty.

OMG I know! All those stupid click-bait articles that refer to GRRM as “the author of Game of Thrones” drive me up the wall.

When people conflate show and book canon or try to use the show to “prove” things within the book canon.

oops guilty! Only started reading after the first season of the show so I end up calling the entire book series "Game of Thrones" out of habit and for convenience sake :) Btw: perfectly aware of actual title song of ice and fire and of the fact that show cannon has nothing to do with book cannon!

Not saying that this is the case with you guys... but I can get annoyed with snobbish fans who look down on people who call the book series "game of thrones" :laugh:

SweetRobin, for sure for characters.

I wouldn't say it's annoying but sometimes I find myself wanting to yell out at charactors like Aray in season 1, when we as a book know what's going on and she doesn't... but that is also what makes the books so great is that it keeps you so engaged...

Xaro Xhoan Daxos

Renly Baratheon, fucker didn't have respect

Catelyn Stark, she ruined Robb's plans

Balon Greyjoy, shithead sent his own son and blamed him for getting too close to the Northmen

Asha Greyjoy, for the same reason I hate Balon

Names like Reznak mo Reznak, Hizdahr zo Loraq, etc., seems a bit forced to me

Robert Arryn, like everyone does

Tyroshi, their hair

Shae, both in the books and the show, just plain annoying, glad she's dead

Walder Frey, like everyone does.

On the Show: The fact that you never see Cersei sweat. She is living in King's Landing and her handmaidens are running around in sleeveless light weight shifts and she is walking around with those heavy dresses with humongous sleeves wearing all of that hair and yet she never sweats. I have very thick wavy hair that reaches all the way down to my rear end and it is extremely hot. It will make you sweat in the middle of winter, but not Cersei.

The fact that Sam spends months wandering around in the winter wilderness north of the Wall, on apparently meager rations, and doesn't seem to either lose weight or get stronger. The human body toughens up fast in those conditions.

Sansa's consistent references to her "tummy."

The total technological stasis that seems to have prevailed for the past 8000 years.

As mentioned previously in this thread, the fact that the peasants are nearly invisible and that people seldom think about them.

I believe her exact words were "my sun-and-stars made a queen of me, but if he had been a different man, it might have been much otherwise." That is not forgetting her love for him and she doesn't say she was a slave, only that she was sold.

Archived