In the market for a new PC and need help...

Mormont'sRaven

My computer just bit it. Or rather, to be more accurate, my hard drive just failed. I could just replace it but honestly my rig is 6-year-old technology at this point and barely fulfills the minimum requirements for most PC games. It's also rather slow in general.

I'd like a new one. I know it's cheaper to build your own but I'm not blessed with such skills. I've been browsing on Newegg and haven't found anything that seems to jump out on me. Any suggestions?

I'd like to spend about $800 or so. Not much more than that. I know that's a low ceiling but this couldn't have happened at a worse time monetarily speaking (tax season). I was thinking of this. Let me know what you think!

Thanks a lot for your help!

That pre-built system you linked is not good. The processor is good (maybe even slightly overkill for the amount you're spending), the GPU is pretty shit for the amount you're spending (especially if you're looking for gaming performance). They don't even say what the motherboard and power supply is which is a huge red flag. I'm sure there are some vendors that sell decent pre-built PCs in the US but I don't know, if you were in Australia I could totally help you out. I can definitely advise you to not get that Amazon one. The best way to get the most out of your cash is to build though, $800 USD can get you a really decent PC if you're willing to build these days and it's really not that difficult with a few youtube tutorials and what-not.

That pre-built system you linked is not good. The processor is good (maybe even slightly overkill for the amount you're spending), the GPU is pretty shit for the amount you're spending (especially if you're looking for gaming performance). They don't even say what the motherboard and power supply is which is a huge red flag. I'm sure there are some vendors that sell decent pre-built PCs in the US but I don't know, if you were in Australia I could totally help you out. I can definitely advise you to not get that Amazon one. The best way to get the most out of your cash is to build though, $800 USD can get you a really decent PC if you're willing to build these days and it's really not that difficult with a few youtube tutorials and what-not.

Do you have any parts you'd suggest then? I haven't paid attention to PC specs since the days of the GeForce 5200 so I'm very, very out of the loop in terms of what's good.

I quite like this case. Maybe this set-up + a decent graphics card? http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.2248430

I guess I'll watch some YouTube vids heh.

What types of games are you going to be playing? If you've been getting by on a 6-year-old computer, your needs may not be that high unless there's a particular game you're looking at.

Right now I'm playing Dark Souls II. I have the early access version of Galactic Civilizations III and it's unplayably slow. Games like Crusader Kings II are also on the slower side as well. Thanks!

Here's a quick list I put together, that's around what I'd be going for. I recommend using that site because they find the cheapest prices on all the parts for you. Plenty left over for your case and other stuff you may want like optical drive, wifi adapter, operating system etc etc. That system will give you solid performance in pretty much any game.

Also, keep in mind, for final assembly, details like noise and encumberance. The most extreme rigs tend to roar as loudly as a F15 during takeoff, while if you compromise a bit, you can have a mostly passive one or at least havery dilent fans and cooling, and that is very nice in the long run (fluid cooling sucks for silence, by the way: there is a goddam pump, same as an aquarium)

Archived