Characters whose TV versions are superior to the book versions

Aemon's counsel

Margaery's character is like the Princess of Thorns in the show, so I love that compared to the books.

Joffrey is also way more despicable than in the books, great acting.

Besides that there are quite some good portrials:

Oberyn

Varys

Jon

Davos

etc

All the Tyrells ( apart from Loras)

Osha

Shireen and Selyse

Allister Thorne

Tywin Lannister

Shae

Sam and Gilly

Maester Luwin

Cersei
Robert Baratheon
Jorah Mormont

On the other hand, characters I think are inferior to the books:

Loras Tyrell

Renly Baratheon

Jojen and Meera Reed

Melisandre

Yara/Asha Greyjoy

Catelyn and all the Tully familly

Barristan Selmy

Mance Rayder

The one true king Mance Rayder.

Hear me out, everyone seems to hate Mance in the show, but am I the only one who thought book mance was a tad unrealistic? This happy go lucky singer that United warring tribes inbetween writing songs. I think the gritty old man was just more realistic.

The one true king Mance Rayder.

Hear me out, everyone seems to hate Mance in the show, but am I the only one who thought book mance was a tad unrealistic? This happy go lucky singer that United warring tribes inbetween writing songs. I think the gritty old man was just more realistic.

Agreed. I like book Mance but he was a bit too cartoonish and out there. I found Ciaran Hinds' interpretation of the part more believable as leader of the Wildlings. Would have liked to see his family included though.

Also show Tormund > book Tormund.

Do you mean Karl Tanner?

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Karl

Karl is the only guy I can find when searching for Dirk on google. But I agree with you, this guy was way more fleshed out and evil than the book mutineers.

Other characters I liked on the show were Thoros and Shireen. Shireen especially who got some really good scenes on the show. Pod the Impaler also said Maggy the Frog and I agree.

Yeah, that's him. I didn't catch his name for whatever reason in the show.

Charles Dance should have been nominated for awards for Tywin Lannister, much superior to his book character. Also, Maisee Williams as Arya have been fantastic. Peter Dinklage and Aiden Gillen as well as Conleth Hill have tough roles to play and hit them spot on but not superior to their book roles. Bronn is another as well as Osha whom both have excelled.

For me it's The Hound. While his character is great in the books, on the TV show he is outstanding.

Bronn really adds a lot of swagger to his show character.

Roose is also much better in the show than in the books.

Ramsey is one of the most convincing pyscho's, and kudos to him in the show.

I think Sansa also is better in the show. Very timid, and growing into a strong mature woman.

I find this hard as I listened to the audio books rather than read the books, so when listening, I had Roy Dodrice putting on a voice for the characters, which fed into the way I imagined them. For example, Roose is really feeble in the books, but in the show is a very strong character.

Other characters that are spot on for me are:

Cersei

Arya

Varys

Tyrion - I didn't list him as better as his character in the books is excellent. Peter Dinklage really does a fantastic job in the show.

Aliser Thorne is much more fun in the television series: he seems more of a grey character than his rather cliché book counterpart.

Khal Drogo is another one. I think just having an actor, and in particular one with the energy of Momoa, just added a charisma and identity to him.

Robert Baratheon. Both are very good and very interesting, but I felt the TV show did a slightly better job of establishing why he and Ned were friends. With such a likeable presence from Addy, it brought out that larger-than-life feeling he gave, a man who could turn his enemies into friends.

Osha is the obvious one. The show version has an otherworldly quirkiness to her that's highly enjoyable.

Samwell Tarly. While I wasn't a huge fan of his story in the fourth season, I think Bradley's Sam is a bit more proactive and a bit more grown than the original character. He takes a few more risks, shows a bit more sense, and is very funny and loveable. I still like book Sam, and feel that his traumatic past has been somewhat side-lined on the show, though.

Archived