Your saddest Moment / Scene

The Dames do Moan

Why not deaths, or moments leading up to deaths? One of my saddest moments is easily "We'll go back there. The battle's done, Maester Aemon will patch you up. You're not going to die, Ygritte, you're not."

Fine, I can't have deaths?

Few contenders:

"Egg, I dreamed that I was old."

Jaime burning Cersei's letter. Not sadness for her, but for him - he makes his choice to turn his back on the love of his life, crazy and cruel as she was, and he has to move on to what's next without the other part of him. That's a sad moment for Jaime, after everything he's lost.

Arya trying to give up Needle, and remembering Winterfell and everything she's lost - "and suddenly there were tears in her eyes".

Similarly Sansa building Winterfell out of snow - first time I completely forgave her for ever being annoying beforehand and decided that she's actually one of my favourite characters.

Tyrion killing Tywin was pretty sad. Him admitting "I'm you writ small". This isn't sad for Tywin's death (good riddance) but for Tyrion seeing himself in the man he hates so much, and remembering Tysha, Shae's betrayal, and every awful thing he's gone through because of Tywin. I'm sad for Tyrion, not Tywin - therefore doesn't count as a death... >.>

Arya arriving at the Red Wedding just as the murdering starts - she was so close!!!

Jaime and Brienne in the bath-house talking about how he became the Kingslayer

Tyrion seeing Shae at the trial

Arya's line about there being a hole where her heart is

Damn, there are a lot of sad moments in this series...

Saddest for me, though, has to be a moment with Jon:

"They know nothing, Ygritte. And worse, they will not learn." I think this is the moment when he realises that his decisions, even though they are honourable, are never going to be accepted by the people around him. He misses Ygritte because he realises here just how much she taught him. He realises that he is alone in this world, surrounded by cold-hearted, ignorant strangers who will never accept him. This is the saddest, for me.

Where to start... At first it was hard to avoid death scenes but now that I think of it, there are many sad scenes that do not involve deaths.

Brown and Tyrion's last words to one another:

Bronn hesitated at the door. “What will you do, Imp?” “Kill Gregor myself. Won’t that make for a jolly song?” “I hope I hear them sing it.” Bronn grinned one last time, and walked out of the door, the castle, and his life

Oh, this. I will never forget the last words: "out of the door, the castle, and his life".

Bran realizing that 3EC cannot make him walk, not even for a day. "We came such a long way".

"You will never walk again... but you will fly." Gets me every time. :crying: I think Bran's fate must be among the most cruel ones, he's just a small boy who dreamt of knighthood and adventures.

It is also very painful to read Theon's first chapter in ACoK where he returns back to the Iron Islands and sees his father for the first time in years. In that moment he's just a boy who wants acceptance and his family back, but that smelly old squid will have none of that. I just feel so angry and sad whenever I read that chapter.

Seeing ICE end up re-forged and with the Lannisters. Not only the Lannisters but the worst one in Joffrey.

I actually didn't mind the melting of Ice, I always thought it was a waste of rare and precious V steel. It really sucked that they didn't go to Starks though. Imagine Robb and Grey Wind + V steel sword.

• 2 weeks later...

Arya/Nymeria telling Catleyn's body to rise and run and eat with them. Was it the wolf or was it the girl? I reckon both, and both of them lost their mother.. It was really sad to read that part. Although Nymeria is big, I always picture a small puppy nuzzling at her dying mother.

All week myself and a few friends have been going back and forth on our personal opinions of a different daily question.

Today's question was -

What was the saddest / most upsetting scene or moment to you through the first 5 books or through the first 4 seasons of GOT?

Disclaimer's -

• This moment cannot be a death or in close relation to a death (i.e. you can't say, Ned dying or Rob marrying Jeyne cuz it meant Frey was going to kill him or LF betraying Ned cause it led to his death).

It should be a specific scene or moment (so no Tyrion's decline to alcoholism from ASOS on)

Arya sending Nymeria away. I hope that does count altough it could be said it led to death of Lady, but that's not the thing that bothers me about it.

I've just started a re-read of Game of Thrones (my first re-read) and it is surprising how many scenes are heartbreaking with all the foresight the reader has. One that had me ugly crying a few nights ago was at the end of Bran's chapter (IV) when Robb sits with Bran and they speak of their family returning to Winterfell and visiting Jon at the wall. Bran mentions how the hope in Robb's voice let him know that he was speaking to his brother again and not just Robb the Lord.

" "An adventure," Bran repeated wistfully. He heard his brother sob. The room was so dark he could not see the tears on Robb's face, so he reached out and found his hand. Their fingers twined together."

</3

Archived