Your saddest Moment / Scene

The Dames do Moan

Doran Martell has one of the saddest story lines in the series. Sixteen years ago his sister and nieces and nephews were brutally murdered, since that day he has been plotting his revenge. He suffers eminence pain, unable to walk, unable to exact revenge with his own hands. Oberyn, attempts revenge, exceeds in killing the mountain, yet loses his life. Doran's people cry out for war, for vengeance. They curse him, call him a craven. He wants revenge, but he knows too well the cost that comes with it. He is forced to use his daughter, his son, and his nieces to exact his revenge,knowing full well that they may die as well. Doran Martell does not seem a man of blood lust either. He rather spend his days sitting in beautiful gardens, watching children play in the summer sun. However, as long as the Lannisters live, Doran can't and won't find peace for his people, or within himself. Peace will only been found through "Fire and Blood."

What happened to common people during the War always made me sad. Mountain's men, Brave Companions, Amory Lorch... story of Pia,Stone Hedge, Saltpans... 

I also felt sad when certain characters died, mostly Eddard and Sandor. Especially Sandor, because I was spoiled on Eddard and knew it was coming (better preparation).

-Jayne Poole's story is one of the most tragic in the book.

-Arya throwing her possessions into the canals but holding on to Needle. "Needle was Jon Snow's smile. He used to muss my hair and call me 'little sister' , she remembered, and suddenly there were tears in her eyes."

-Jon remembering his half-siblings.

-Sam being told he wasn't worthy of the family's ancestral sword, sword admitting he's a craven. 

-Cersei hearing Robert utter Lyanna's name their first night together. I find it sad and pitiful.

Sandor broke my heart twice: when he departed first from Sansa and then from Arya. Both times he was crying and I just wanted to hug him. Then the Elder Brother talking about him... "He didn't love and he was not loved." even if I feel that's not true...

Catelyn's last moment is just excruciating.

Last Brienne chapter. I found that horribly sad...
Thoros: "Is not gonna look pretty."
Brienne: "I've never been pretty."
And all that calling for Jaime and her sword and the horror when she faces SH.

^thats a good one.

The Ghost In Winterfell.  One of the best chapters GRRM has ever written.  Sad & beautiful. You have to remember your name.

Ned's fever dream of the Tower of Joy.  The (his is the) Song of Ice&Fire began then&there, and this is the sort of bittersweet tone the story is like to end on.  *(some great mini comics have been made of this scene)

Cat's POV's leading up to the RedWedding are really really sad. Her husband died, Arya is believed dead, Sansa a captive to her enemies, her dad died, her youngest two sons died.  As a parent this really gets to me.  It makes total sense how hollow and dead she is feeling inside, taking no joy in food or song or anything, and StoneHeart is a perfect & logical continuation of this.  "Show them how it feels to lose what they love," indeed.

Archived