Where is Stephen Dillane?

14ccKemistk

We have seen lately that most of the big characters are making some sort of Game of Thrones promotion: Interviews, fan events, visiting premiers etc, etc. We see Kit, Natalie, Peter, Lena, Emelia, Nikolai, Carice, Liam et. al. all over the place. Actors even keep coming to events long after they are dead in the show!

But - where is Stephen Dillane and how can one explain his absence? Of the starring cast, he is the only one that never shows up, anywhere.

Why is this? Is it because:

1) Stephen hates fandom and promotion events and is personally bothered by attention outside of the actual production?

2) Dan and Dave (and/or HBO) personally don't like Stephen and thinks he does not deserve to promote the show?

3) Dan and Dave (and/or HBO) thinks that the Stannis character is dull, boring and has no fans anyway so that it is better to do promotion with the popular characters?

ooooooor, is it because......

4) Stannis is the eventual winner in the game of thrones, and HBO wants to keep him in the shadows as far as possible and minimise attension on him, thereby making his eventual victory more of a surprise?

I'm kind of hoping for 4) since that would be awesome by HBO and awesome since Stannis IS the rightful king. But I think that the real explanation leans more towards 1) or anyone of the others.

What do you think?

Probably just doesn't like the spotlight. Other characters like Tyrion, Jon and Daenerys are probably pretty important to the story as well and the actors/actresses who play them make appearances all the time. Also, nobody can stop him from attending the events if he's invited and I'm almost certain he's been invited to different conventions.

It's 1. IIRC in an interview for the Tunnel he said he's not big on doing promoting and is happy to leave it to the rest of the cast.

Carice also said something like he'd be the last person on earth to get twitter, so there's that.

I imagine he gritted his teeth when he said that. You know you have a good interview with him when he only threatens to behead you twice

He really isn't a "promo" kind of guy so I would with answer (1) :D

He did a fair bit of promo work (by his standards) for The Tunnel but interviews on other projects have been few and far between. He also comes across as a bit of a curmudgeon in most of his interviews!

re: (2) and (3) I've posted this before but re: D&D hating Stannis... (x)

Someone on here once said that it seems like "he hates being Stannis almost as much as Stannis does", I'm sure that's not true but it's amusing none the less. I'm sure he's just not a fan of the spotlight...but could the stars have aligned any more perfectly to cast him for this role? D&D choices with him aren't always my favorite...but Dillane nails everything.

I've read a couple of interviews where he says that acting on GoT is very technical and likens it to being a cog in the machine. I can see him thinking more favourably of the role now that he's actually in the thick of the action rather than filming scenes around the Painted Table (I've also posted that gifset before but it's definitely relevant!). I think he may be ambivalent about acting a lot of the time and I wonder does he ever regret that he signed on to do something like this. Even if it's not a huge time suck in his year he's still been committed to it for four years now ...and X years longer?! I remember seeing a Tweet from his son where he was saying "dad's talking about chucking it all in again". Oooops.

Would never have discovered the wonder that is Stephen Dillane without GoT and I'm sure I love the show about 632% more because of his presence. Thanks Nina Gold! :D

Archived