why was Ladystoneheart cut out

Black Dragons

LSH, if she will be included, just isn't quite ready for prime time.  By that I mean her inclusion would best be used in a season where she is very active.  Having her show up at the end of season 3 and then disappear for a couple seasons would be disappointing.  If, say, she shows up at the end of season 6 (with Jaime and Arya and Moon Boy for all I know in the Riverlands) then her main storyline can play out through season 7.  

Great post about the themes of revenge and the significance of Lady Stoneheart:

http://sansalayned.tumblr.com/post/128790930235/what-is-the-meaning-of-lady-stoneheart-i-read-the

Particularly this part:

Anonymous said

What is the meaning of Lady Stoneheart? I read the books but I didn't really understand why was Cat brought to life. Is it to avenge her family? If so, how will she achieve it? Thanks!

Hi! First of all, I’m so sorry for the late reply :)

Oh, no, I’d say it’s rather the opposite: one running idea in asoiaf is that revenge is futile and ultimately pointless, and one of the characters that conveys this idea (maybe in its most brutal and extreme form) is Lady Stoneheart. No matter what, no matter how many Freys, how many people, both innocent and guilty, she kills, she’ll never find peace.

And this is even more poignant when we remember how Catelyn was one of the first voices to speak about how senseless revenge is:

“Your grief is mine, Cat,” he said when they broke apart. “When we heard about Lord Eddard… the Lannisters will pay, I swear it, you will have your vengeance.”
“Will that bring Ned back to me?” she said sharply. (Catelyn XI, AGoT)

and a reply by another poster:

1. lesmotsincompris said: Having Catelyn become Lady Stoneheart is tragic, and it reminds me of book!Ellaria becoming show!Ellaria… D&D wouldn’t recognize a theme if it came running towards them.

:lol:

I wouldn't call them a waste of time. They helped move Arya's story forward. More importantly, Melisandre may have learned how to resurrect Jon Snow from Thoros.

Did they really need Mel to learn this from Thoros. It could of been something she always knew. I feel it was just to flesh out the scene of her coming and getting Gendry. 

Honestly if she was introduced at the end of S3 or S4 or even in S5 it would still be too long before her plot becomes truly relevant in show terms.

I believe the best time to introduce her would be S6, either as the first scene before the credits in Ep1 or somewhere along the end of Jaime's storyline (if he goes to the Riverlands).

I seriously doubt she'll show up at this stage. The Red wedding is long done with, show-wise, and we've not really had an indication of an unDead Catelyn wandering around. Well, apart from the ocassional name drop of your sister that inevitably sets the hype train off again and we all (me included) hop aboard.

I seriously doubt she'll show up at this stage. The Red wedding is long done with, show-wise, and we've not really had an indication of an unDead Catelyn wandering around. Well, apart from the ocassional name drop of your sister that inevitably sets the hype train off again and we all (me included) hop aboard.

There was no reason to inroduce her if they were going to postpone the Riverlands story. Having her show up for one scene at the end of season 4 and not doing anything with her in season 5 would have been pointless. If they are going to do the Riverlands this season, then it is not too late to introduce her.

There was no reason to inroduce her if they were going to postpone the Riverlands story. Having her show up for one scene at the end of season 4 and not doing anything with her in season 5 would have been pointless. If they are going to do the Riverlands this season, then it is not too late to introduce her.

I mean in terms of time elapsed. I can understand the constraints of television, and not casting for such a brief appearance (although I might point out they did so with Bloodraven in S4 - cast for a 30 second apearance and then dropped for a season and recast) but the Red Wedding happened in Season 3. You cant, 3 seasons later, just say "guess what, she is actually undead!" without any build up prior. Too much time has elapsed for me to think she'll appear now.

I mean in terms of time elapsed. I can understand the constraints of television, and not casting for such a brief appearance (although I might point out they did so with Bloodraven in S4 - cast for a 30 second apearance and then dropped for a season and recast) but the Red Wedding happened in Season 3. You cant, 3 seasons later, just say "guess what, she is actually undead!" without any build up prior. Too much time has elapsed for me to think she'll appear now.

It's not really the same thing. Bloodraven appearence is not really a "WTF moment" like if we saw LSH. Eventually, he was the goal of Bran's journey through out S3 and S4, so seeing him at the end of the journey makes sense storytelling wise, Bran finished the first part of his journey when he met him, In season 6, he begins the second part. LSH belongs to the second part for "Catelyn" story while the Red Wedding was the end of the first part. Seeing her and than stopping suddenly does not make sense while with Bloodraven it did. In addition, the fact that we did not see Bran in S5 does not mean he didn't exist, the same applies to LSH.
I do agree that if she appears, there could've been more foreshadowing (like mentioning the BWB with a hooded woman hanging Freys in the Riverlands) but maybe in S6 they'll mention it while showing us the siege of Riverrun when at the end of the season, Brienne will take Jaime to LSH and it's revealed that she is Catelyn while S7 will be the story with her from WOW.

It's ironic that just like Euron, we all wanted her in seasons 4-5, based on book chronology, while none of the necessary casting or foundation work for her to appear existed in those seasons.

Now, and for the first time, in a big push for the Riverlands, it does: we have outlaws aplenty, a possible Merrett Frey, Walder himself, that cryptic comment by Barry Gower ...

Just cross your fingers they don't recast her with Souad Faress (or go the Sansa route) and realise how much of the impact of the character hinges on it being Fairley. Even in the first case, you could have a situation where they cast a lookalike actress for exterior long shots to avoid inevitable papping of MF leaking, with close ups and reveals confined to the secrecy of studio work in Ire.

I would prefer a big fat dose of direct evidence (i.e: irrefutable spy pic of Michelle in prosthetics when outlaw filming's going down?) but there's nonetheless a lot more circumstantial evidence I never thought I'd see in the run up to a season that really does level the odds this year.

Maybe not 50/50, but close

Dorne was last year's filler. Riverlands and Iron Islands will be this year's filler.

Dorne was filler yeah but that's because nobody cares for Dorne anyway either in the books or show. The Riverlands has loads od important things going on there. And I'm looking forward to it after not having seen it in a while.

Brienne's arc in the Riverlands was filler except for the chapter with LSH. Jaime's on the other hand wasn't, it explained what happened to Riverrun and it's people after the war. In addition, I think the Riverlands has a big role to play in the next book.
Dorne and Iron Islands are fillers. Aegon as well, in addition to Tyrion's and Dany's arcs in DwD.

Brienne's arc in the Riverlands was filler except for the chapter with LSH. Jaime's on the other hand wasn't, it explained what happened to Riverrun and it's people after the war. In addition, I think the Riverlands has a big role to play in the next book.
Dorne and Iron Islands are fillers. Aegon as well, in addition to Tyrion's and Dany's arcs in DwD.

In case you were unaware, this is the Show forum, farerb...

Archived