why was Ladystoneheart cut out

Black Dragons

2 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

A 'Resurrection theme' for the season could easily backfire I think. It could turn into a 'nobody can die, so you don't have to worry about anything theme', each resurrection lessening the power of the next one.

I disagree. I mean, it does happen in the books, so the bonus of doing it all at once is that it can be compressed rather than drawn out, and it allows to explore the ways that people are changed by being "reborn" in an interwoven way.

It doesn't need to occupy a great deal of screen time as a theme. It is just that the connections between the various characters who turn out not to be dead for good and their stories will help to enhance the impact.

2 hours ago, Hippocras said:

I disagree. I mean, it does happen in the books, so the bonus of doing it all at once is that it can be compressed rather than drawn out, and it allows to explore the ways that people are changed by being "reborn" in an interwoven way.

It doesn't need to occupy a great deal of screen time as a theme. It is just that the connections between the various characters who turn out not to be dead for good and their stories will help to enhance the impact.

Well it depends how its done. The problem is the general problem the books had, where they did a load of fake-outs with deaths. Not only do you have Jon and LS, you have the Hound, the Mountain etc. If everyone comes back all at once it could end up being quite eye rolling. 

No one saw The Hound die, merely left for dead.

And it's been long established that Qyburn's alchemy saved The Mountain from near-death (beginning season 4 and brought back S5) as opposed to reanimating his cold corpse.

On flat-out resurrection, they have only the cumulative double-whammy of LSH and Jon in S6 to worry about, whom, with the minimum of artistic imagination, they could easily tie in thematically without it seeming a retread  - especially as Red God resurrection counterpoints, i.e: with Stoneheart's, well, stone-heartedness, being the cautionary warning.

2 hours ago, Damorian said:

No one saw The Hound die, merely left for dead.

And it's been long established that Qyburn's alchemy saved The Mountain from near-death (beginning season 4 and brought back S5) as opposed to reanimating his cold corpse.

On flat-out resurrection, they have only the cumulative double-whammy of LSH and Jon in S6 to worry about, whom, with the minimum of artistic imagination, they could easily tie in thematically without it seeming a retread  - especially as Red God resurrection counterpoints, i.e: with Stoneheart's, well, stone-heartedness, being the cautionary warning.

If it wasn't for Jon/LS in one season being too much I'd be sure she appears on the show....on the other hand it uis fantasy series  and also replacing Catb with Blackfish would just be insulting...

On Wednesday, February 10, 2016 at 5:17 PM, Hippocras said:

I think she will be in season 6, and we will see her before Jon is "reborn". It makes zero sense to do it later. Part of the point of reserving her for season 6 would be to create a resurrection narative for the season, and the reason for doing that in season 6 and not earlier is Jon. All of the others: Sandor, Gregor, Stoneheart, could easily have been brought back or shown more earlier, except for Jon.

I could actually see season 6 starting off with a creepy scene something like the Merrett Frey chapter.

Such a scene for opening moment would be very cool but I have a feeling given how they ended s5 with Jon I think they will also start with Jon

Love LSH but think the moment has passed :( . It's too much to be introduced in one season and will certainly be a "jump the shark" moment for Unsullied. Also with the way some of these blogs have covered the "offseason"/filming you would have thought we'd hear something about Michelle Fairley by now. 

19 hours ago, LStoneheart said:

Such a scene for opening moment would be very cool but I have a feeling given how they ended s5 with Jon I think they will also start with Jon

I am not convinced. I mean, I do of course realize everyone watching wants to know about Jon. But that doesn't mean the show needs to oblige immediately.

I am in the camp that firmly believes any Jon "rebirth" requires more context to be established than we currently have. 

2 hours ago, Hippocras said:

I am not convinced. I mean, I do of course realize everyone watching wants to know about Jon. But that doesn't mean the show needs to oblige immediately.

I am in the camp that firmly believes any Jon "rebirth" requires more context to be established than we currently have. 

I'm sorry, but the show doesn't care about that. They'll revive Jon when they want to, because reasons.

As for LS: not happening. None of the characters involved (Jaime, Brienne) are where they're supposed to be, and and it seems like it's not going to change. Also, they didn't care about Catelyn when she was alive, they care even less for her undead version.

2 hours ago, HairGrowsBack said:

I'm sorry, but the show doesn't care about that. They'll revive Jon when they want to, because reasons.

As for LS: not happening. None of the characters involved (Jaime, Brienne) are where they're supposed to be, and and it seems like it's not going to change. Also, they didn't care about Catelyn when she was alive, they care even less for her undead version.

This is untrue. There were sightings of Brienne at the Riverlands sets during filming, and also some very top secret filming in Iceland took place, where no filming had been announced, involving Jaimie, and happening at the same time as the outlaw characters from the casting call. So Jaimie and outlaws filming same time, and Brienne in the Riverlands. All very much suggests the encounter with the BWB will happen.

13 minutes ago, Hippocras said:

Hidden Content

Spoiler

Yes, but we also know that Jaime and Brienne will be dealing with the Blackfish, not LS.

In any case, it's not like to bear any resemblance to the original plot (except maybe superficially)

1 hour ago, farerb said:

Do you think they might consider doing CGI Stoneheart?

Don't think so. I don't see why they would. Michelle did well as Cat and there is no reason to avoid having her come back....to top secret filming in Iceland when Iceland was not supposed to be a filming location this year that is. ;)

Besides the fact it obviously needs the returning actress for the emotional gut-punch, LSH is pretty much the definition of a look that warrants practical over CGI, imo.

Look at what extreme disfigurements the walker prosthetics achieve in The Walking Dead, for example …. practically anything that still looks photoreal.

d4f2b879c0eec712e9aa3c6388489f43_600x400

That type of extreme look done either full CG (or partially) in live action - as in TDK, for example - tends to give you a superimposed hyper-reality, usually with a quite cartoonish, unreal feel to it:

Two-Face-Dark-Knight-Movie-Aaron-Eckhart

For the gritty world established in G.O.T., usually (but not always) with minimal invasive CGI, it'd be pretty disappointing (for me at least) if they copped out with an all-digital creation rather than the proven acting chops of Fairley in top drawer prosthetics. Can't see why they'd bother without her, tbh. It'd be like knee-capping your prize horse on the eve of the big race.

CGI, even at the highest level, just draws too much attention to itself in very practically based productions. It was no surprise for example, the most jarring moments visually that flat-out didn't work in the (much vaunted) return to practical Abrams was gunning for in The Force Awakens were the Kanata and Snoke scenes.

Archived