Orange is the New Black

Jack Bauer 24

I don't know what annoys me more... The overall suckiness of this season or the fact that it came after one of the most emotional moments on TV last year. Whatever it is, it is bad.

On 6/16/2017 at 3:12 AM, karaddin said:

@Dr. Pepper @Theda Baratheon I'm not reading the rest of the thread to avoid spoilers, but I wanted to get a post-mortem of the season from some people I feel I can trust to have a viewpoint that I can relate to. Brook and I still haven't even watched Season 4 yet, the treatment of Sophia in Season 3 really upset me (you can go back to posts in this thread to see that!) and I wasn't really in the right headspace to deal with more of that when the season came out. Then what reactions I saw were very much on the negative side, Sophia's arc is still very bleak, I saw quite a few black women on twitter that were deciding the show was at the point of exploiting the suffering of black women for white women's enjoyment, later on I was spoiled on Poussey's death which pretty much destroyed what motivation I had to handle what Sophia's story would do for me, only to get that too.

My question is - if that angle of critique is the thing that has been put me off watching Season 4, does this season redeem the show in any way? The couple of comments I glimpsed scrolling to the bottom of the thread suggest no, that if anything it will anger me even more. Is that correct?

ETA: Apologies to tag you in if you haven't watched the season either Dr P, I don't see posts from you. I know Theda has been watching it at least.

I started to casually watch the new season, but I honestly can barely remember much of what happened last season apart from Poussey's murder.  I thought I was still on the first episode of this season, but just saw that I was on ep 4 somehow.  It seems like nothing much has happened.  I just can't get into this show after Poussey's death.

• 4 weeks later...

It had some good moments, but overall it was disappointing. I cant understand why the two meth heads and Neo Nazis are getting so much screen time. I couldn't care less about them. The meth heads make me cringe.

I believe the series will wrap after S7.   

Agree with most people here about overall quality of s5. Still had some bright spots though.

Thing that bothers me the most is how Suzanne got a fee pass for being at least 50% to blame for Washington's death.

This season was so disappointing on so many levels. The black girls continue to be very annoying caricatures and characters. And Taystee, the most sympathetic and complex one blaming Caputo for Poussey's death knowing that he wasn't responsible or at fault is incredibly frustrating to watch. The inmates' treatment of the guards is reprehensible and it made it hard to sympathise with any of the characters, however these are convicted felons after all so I guess that was to be expected. 

Overall, things meandered for far too long, the cast feels too bloated and not in a good way like early GoT or Lost, the flashbacks lacked the weight of the previous seasons and the payoffs were simply not worth it. The overall lack of structure suffered as a result. 

One of the few bright spots were Linda's turn at playing an inmate which was fun to watch and the two Latina girls, Flaca and Maritza are still very entertaining to watch. But otherwise, a huge downswing in quality from the first 4. 

The cast needs a refresh badly. 

Archived