The Complete Winds of Winter Resource v. 2

BryndenBFish

Sorry to drag this from way back in the thread, but I was catching up and felt compelled:

While I agree that Jon, Tyrion, and Dany's POVs all could have used a little tightening (lord knows I could've said goodbye to Daario sex scenes and Pretty Pig), the chapter you mentioned was my absolute favorite of Jon's in ADWD. Jon's realization that 'when he looked before him, all he saw were men' is incredibly powerful thematically. And the men saying their vows is a sweeping, rousing moment, especially as it cements Jon's belief that he's making the right choice with the wildlings. It's similar to Septon Meribald's speech. Plot movement can't be the only purpose of a chapter, or we would be reading Dan Brown. This is literary fiction, and GRRM is equally concerned with character and theme as plot. This chapter was essential to Jon's arc in ADWD, and I don't really think it's for the reader to dismiss blocks of the story wholesale. Then again, what would we have to discuss here if we didn't, I suppose.

i gotta agree with you on this one i liked that chapter. the thing about how "nothing happens" in AFFC and especially ADWD imo is that they get immensely better on rereads and you realize a lot of necessary character development is happening and a lot of small things are happening that you realize are kind of important, or could be important in the future. i agree that yes tyrion and dany's arcs could have used some trimming down (brienne and quentyn's imo, are the ones that needed it the most) but the POV that improved the most for me on a reread was jon's and i think that his arc was paced really well and i don't even know if i would want to cut anything from it.

Guys/Gals,

I understand the speculation aspect involved with The Winds of Winter, but this thread is intended not to be opinion-oriented but rather verifiable information said about The Winds of Winter that GRRM, his editors or those in the know have stated. It's also not intended to be a place to mudsling either. Please restrict your comments/replies to the info side and less to the opinion side. I'm not a moderator here, but mods here have warned this thread multiple times to stay on target or see this thread deleted. So, please, less speculation, more facts. Thanks.

Today, Martin has seriously trolled the readers on Not a Blog. The end should come soon or I realy wish someone would cut his manhood and... You know the drill.

I've reached the point where, just like the click-bait sites I just laugh at those sorts of things. And speaking of the click-bait sites, one had the gall to say that GRRM had decided to go to Comic-con after all (This was literally the day after he'd blogged about being sad that he wasn't going) and so that meant that he MUST HAVE FINISHED WINDS! I laughed so hard I almost fell out of my chair.

I don't think GRRM intentionally trolled with that post. I think it's just the consequence of having more common words in the title. I mean how many posts in former years did he have the excuse to use words like "Feast," "Crows,"  "Dance," or "Dragons?"

GRRM in his not a blog comments on his latest entry said basically not to expect Winds when he meets with his editors in New York.

He didn't exactly say that, he said that it was silly to expect it just because he's meeting with his editors, an occurrence that happens every time he is in NY.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/436780.html?thread=22222124#t22222124

He has a point there. I'm sure he meets with them more than once every 5 years...

Agree. His comments read more as please you think I talk with my editors and publishers every 5 years. He does not say though Winds will not be discussed so we could get a progress report soon?

Again, people: this is a thread for news. Not excitable attempts to read the entrails of every little thing GRRM says.

I guess it all depends on one's definition of news. I personally think that "Minions at the homestead toiling in the paper mines" is news, and coming directly from the source. :-)

Nah, Mormont's right. Maybe we should make a "crazy-speculations from vague things on Not-a-Blog" thread...it could be fun since we likely won't be getting any definitive news/ updates until after Worldcon.... or even later.

I guess it all depends on one's definition of news. I personally think that "Minions at the homestead toiling in the paper mines" is news, and coming directly from the source. :-)

Not too mention, this is by far the most respectful thread we've ever had on the development of Winds of Winter. If there is no sticky thread where we can speculate slightly, the modders will be forced to deal with endless numbers of threads that devolved into fights between GRRM bashers and supporters and nobody really wants that.

I don't even check his blog anymore, I come to this thread to see if the book has been announced, but in the interim it's still fun to read whatever the folks have to say.

Archived