The Complete Winds of Winter Resource v. 2

BryndenBFish

I think you could conceivably add some others to that list: Areo and Aeron were both definitely minor POVs with less than two chapters per book. Same for Victarion. Also, Arianne was minor but looks to be stepping up to recurring, with at least 5 chapters so I'm sure she would count towards the 13.

I don't know what you are trying to say. Areo, Aeron, Victarion and Arianne are all recurring POVs. They have all recurred.

The non-recurring POVs are all deceased except Mel; unless you also want to count Varimyr as quasi-alive.

Long time reader of this thread, first time posting. Usually just reading made me feel better but really needed the outlet after a half season of madness. All my friends that watch have not read the books and they are absolutely driving me over the edge of sanity. So a big thank you to those on this thread - you are my people....

I watched season one because a friend suggested it – LOVED IT. So had to read GOT right away, and then couldn’t stop there. I don’t think I even slept during that time, just reading and re-reading…A lot of talk about books being slow or filler, and although there were times I felt it was slow, it was because I just soooo wanted to know what was going to happen next.

Season two/three were great even with the many disappointments. I just really enjoyed seeing the characters I so loved on screen; most every character was damn close to how I imagined them. And the sets as well, being in Winterfell or Kings Landing; clearly not as grand as how it could be imagined because it was just a “set” but still felt it. I remember thinking Tyrions’ time at the Vale and how they portrayed it was so freaking great.

Season four I barely remember now. Season five makes me drink and yell more than usual on a Sunday night. So many of my favorite things, important things…gone…

My unsullied friends love the stupid shit this show has become, causing me to wonder why I have such stupid friends. If the show doesn’t have at the very least boobs, someone dying or a big battle, they consider it boring. I don’t understand. Books aside, there is no flow to the story anymore. It is exactly like the soap operas I used to have to watch with my grandmother. I half expect the character to look at the camera and go DUN DUN DUN after each goofy line.

This show has lost its edge; they killed the art of GRRM’s story. The fact that the critics and “fans” continue to find this show good is so damn surprising because it just doesn’t make any sense, at all. There have been so many times I have thrown my hands up in the air and WTF, what about this or that?!?! Everyone here knows all the obvious things, so no reason to go over them. I am just sad, I expected so much more.

So there is my bitch – I had to get it out….

Long time reader of this thread, first time posting. Usually just reading made me feel better but really needed the outlet after a half season of madness. All my friends that watch have not read the books and they are absolutely driving me over the edge of sanity. So a big thank you to those on this thread - you are my people....

I watched season one because a friend suggested it – LOVED IT. So had to read GOT right away, and then couldn’t stop there. I don’t think I even slept during that time, just reading and re-reading…A lot of talk about books being slow or filler, and although there were times I felt it was slow, it was because I just soooo wanted to know what was going to happen next.

Season two/three were great even with the many disappointments. I just really enjoyed seeing the characters I so loved on screen; most every character was damn close to how I imagined them. And the sets as well, being in Winterfell or Kings Landing; clearly not as grand as how it could be imagined because it was just a “set” but still felt it. I remember thinking Tyrions’ time at the Vale and how they portrayed it was so freaking great.

Season four I barely remember now. Season five makes me drink and yell more than usual on a Sunday night. So many of my favorite things, important things…gone…

My unsullied friends love the stupid shit this show has become, causing me to wonder why I have such stupid friends. If the show doesn’t have at the very least boobs, someone dying or a big battle, they consider it boring. I don’t understand. Books aside, there is no flow to the story anymore. It is exactly like the soap operas I used to have to watch with my grandmother. I half expect the character to look at the camera and go DUN DUN DUN after each goofy line.

This show has lost its edge; they killed the art of GRRM’s story. The fact that the critics and “fans” continue to find this show good is so damn surprising because it just doesn’t make any sense, at all. There have been so many times I have thrown my hands up in the air and WTF, what about this or that?!?! Everyone here knows all the obvious things, so no reason to go over them. I am just sad, I expected so much more.

Well this was a good rant, because I agree with you on your views 100%. But I don't think this was the right place to post this... this is all WInds of Winter related stuff.

Post it under discussions of the show :)

I am not a purist regarding where things should be posted (sorry, moderators), and completely share the sentiment (I also started with watching a season of the show, season 3 actually in my case, and getting addicted to the books ), but to bring it back to Winds Of Winter:

GRRM recently said on his blog

"Any audiobook fans out there?

Somehow, with Puppygate and the Cocteau and travel and cons WILD CARDS and (yes!!!) working on WINDS, I neglected to mention the OLD VENUS audiobook, which came out a few months ago."

Does anybody know if there were any other statements by him regarding Winds recently, or comments about the show deviating from future Winds storylines? Has he commented on season 5 at all?

This. I agree that commenting on GRRM blog was rude, but completely share the sentiment. I also think that GRRM response was not on point: "I don't have to reiterate my enthusiasm every day." Really GRRM?? Really?? No, you don't have to reiterate your enthusiasm every day, but it would be nice if you worked hard on the WOW every day....and actually finished it for all the fans who made you so rich.

I thought my exchange with GRRM was better than the lordevaco, but I understand his passion:

Me:

May. 6th, 2015 08:37 pm (UTC)

RE: Enthusiasm

No doubt, that you created something that carries legendary status to you and your fans.

Your fans want these books so bad that anything else you do seems to be an opportunity lost to finishing your magnum opus. It's not fair to you, but your brilliancy has also come with a cost: we want you to write ASOIAF.

We also really wanted to hear your ending before the show does and this is not going to happen. It's a shame to think that we are going to get some of your biggest spoilers from the show first (like Jon Snow's parentage or the serious plotlines aftermath from ADWD). Not that we don't love the show too, but this is your kingdom and it would be better coming from the creator.

We still are hoping to get TWOW in our hands before season 6, but it's not a leap of faith to say that you are a distracted man - and we get it.

I just think it's reasonable to understand the fans frustration as well.

Keep up the great work. I also think your blog opens the door to criticism like this and again, it's probably unfair. I think it's great you communicate with your fans.

And please don't kill a Stark because of me.

grrm

May. 6th, 2015 10:01 pm (UTC)

Re: Enthusiasm

If there is one thing I understand, it is frustration... yours, mine, everyone's.

My life has gotten extremely complicated, I must admit. There are not enough hours in the day, there are not enough days in the week.

And saddest of all, I do not have the stamina I did when I was thirty. Aging sucks.

There's no magic formula here. I just keep at it, the way I always have. One page at a time. One sentence at a time. One word at a time.

Source

I don't know what you are trying to say. Areo, Aeron, Victarion and Arianne are all recurring POVs. They have all recurred.

The non-recurring POVs are all deceased except Mel; unless you also want to count Varimyr as quasi-alive.

Oh wow, Mel is also deceased, so that makes two.

I thought my exchange with GRRM was better than the lordevaco, but I understand his passion:

Me:

No doubt, that you created something that carries legendary status to you and your fans.

Your fans want these books so bad that anything else you do seems to be an opportunity lost to finishing your magnum opus. It's not fair to you, but your brilliancy has also come with a cost: we want you to write ASOIAF.

We also really wanted to hear your ending before the show does and this is not going to happen. It's a shame to think that we are going to get some of your biggest spoilers from the show first (like Jon Snow's parentage or the serious plotlines aftermath from ADWD). Not that we don't love the show too, but this is your kingdom and it would be better coming from the creator.

We still are hoping to get TWOW in our hands before season 6, but it's not a leap of faith to say that you are a distracted man - and we get it.

Keep up the great work. I also think your blog opens the door to criticism like this and again, it's probably unfair. I think it's great you communicate with your fans.

grrm

If there is one thing I understand, it is frustration... yours, mine, everyone's.

My life has gotten extremely complicated, I must admit. There are not enough hours in the day, there are not enough days in the week.

And saddest of all, I do not have the stamina I did when I was thirty. Aging sucks.

There's no magic formula here. I just keep at it, the way I always have. One page at a time. One sentence at a time. One word at a time.

Source

Wow! he actually responded to you. Thanks for posting it here, I somehow missed it on the GRRM blog. Somebody should enlighten our favorite author that the problem of having not enough hours in a day to do everything one would like to do is pretty common. And most people deal with it on a daily basis -- they prioritize.

Thanks again for posting it here Matt, your comment was very well written, very measured-respectful, but not sucky. Struck the right balance.

Somebody should enlighten our favorite author that the problem of having not enough hours in a day to do everything one would like to do is pretty common. And most people deal with it on a daily basis -- they prioritize. Thanks again for posting it here Matt, your comment was very well written, very measured-respectful, but not sucky. Struck the right balance.

Fully agree.

Sorry I thought you were using the term "recurring" to reference the main POVs of the book (those that get five or more chapters) and not in the most literal sense.

That being said - Areo, Aeron, and Victarion - who never have more than two chapters in a book, may not count towards the 13. That's what I was saying.

Me:

grrm

Source

:cheers: I think you articulated it pretty much perfectly. And that's proof that GRRM gets how we feel, and he's not just stubbornly sticking his head in the sand and ignoring the situation he's in.

Well it won't be the guy that just got stabbed to death. It could be either Melisandre or Theon.

We don't even know if he's dead. George has pulled this trick 4 or 5 times now. Making us think Jamie, Theon, Davos (twice), Brienne and Stannis were dead.

My point is, unless we see the character die, he/she isn't dead. Also just a basic rule of writing; you don't create a cliffhanger simply to have the character fall off the cliff when the story resumes.

Jon might be out of action for half the book. Given that Theon is hundreds of miles from Castle Black, Melisandre will presumably be the POV at the Wall. Assuming Jon survives, I'd expect him to return as a POV at some point.

We don't even know if he's dead. George has pulled this trick 4 or 5 times now. Making us think Jamie, Theon, Davos (twice), Brienne and Stannis were dead.

My point is, unless we see the character die, he/she isn't dead. Also just a basic rule of writing; you don't create a cliffhanger simply to have the character fall off the cliff when the story resumes.

Huh? What the hell are you talking about. Please read more carefully next time.

And I know that Jon may not be dead, but he's not going to name his first Wall chapter "Jon" or all the suspense will be gone. Perhaps you should learn a little more about the rules of writing before acting like a know-it-all.

As I said, it will be either Theon or Mel. I'm guessing Theon, because he first has to tell us what happens to Stannis, and by the time we're back to the Wall, Theon will have already gotten there to witness Jon being stabbed.

Huh? What the hell are you talking about. Please read more carefully next time.

And I know that Jon may not be dead, but he's not going to name his first Wall chapter "Jon" or all the suspense will be gone. Perhaps you should learn a little more about the rules of writing before acting like a know-it-all.

As I said, it will be either Theon or Mel. I'm guessing Theon, because he first has to tell us what happens to Stannis, and by the time we're back to the Wall, Theon will have already gotten there to witness Jon being stabbed.

So I'm a know it all now. Hey you were the one saying Jon was stabbed to death like it was set in stone, lol

Archived