Discussing Dorne I: Birthmark edition [book spoilers]

Chebyshov

When the sun has gone out no candle can-

Oh, hullo there! You're a man, we must have sex at once!

*replaces sun with feeble matchstick*

Also, was I the only one imagining the scene from Friends where Ross has a *something* on his arse and all those doctors are gathered round looking at it?

I thought Olyvar would say, "I have ass mark too!" and their ass marks together would spell Tenacious D

People from the Reach tend to treat the Dornish with what I can only call “racism”. There was some of that on the show last season (“Why are you wasting a woman like this on a Dornishman. Get him a shaved goat and a bottle of olive oil”) and they even more played up their “otherness” with the cheesy accents and the costumes, and the, um, aspect of Oberyn’s character those chose to focus on. And the casual use of violence. (They played into all the racist stereotypes, basically). The Dornish in the books are mostly just very proud and will get defensive about it.

The Tyrells and the Martells also have a thing that’s more personal, having to do with a tourney accident where Willas Tyrell was injured and that they blame Oberyn for. And it seems to be mostly one sides. The Martells don’t seem to have any particular issue with the Tyrells, at least not this generations. And Arianne saw nothing objectionable about the idea of marrying one, for example.

This personal enmity doesn’t seem to exists on the show. Which is fine, it’s not particularly important, I don’t think.

Agreed (though Oberyn doesn't think highly on Mace, in the books ;) ), the fact that they cut this personal tone between the Tyrells and the Martells was a big misser, and will continue to be so..

Agreed (though Oberyn doesn't think highly on Mace, in the books ;) ), the fact that they cut this personal tone between the Tyrells and the Martells was a big misser, and will continue to be so..

I was hoping for a confrontation between Lady Oleana and Oberyn.

I also remember Oberyn and Loras exchanging look during that fateful wedding last season. Didn't catch much animosity there.

Probably because they were both hypersexualized cartoons

Mace appeared last season...?

Still, leaving out the enmity between House Martell and House Tyrell in the tv show is a big miss, IMO..

I think he means the fact that Mace is a cartoon in the show. He just bumbles around in the background like some big joke.

Archived