Melisandre's Jon complex

SerBert

Why is Melisandre obsessed with Jon Snow? More specifically, having sex with him? Every Jon chapter she seems to cryptically suggest they have sex and she thinks about him almost all throughout her chapter (Even more then Stannis, who she believes is Azor Ahai reborn). It isn't just Jon too, Davos was also subject to her cryptic courting. Does she have some complex where she is attracted to men who do not trust her? Or is there something I am missing?

Jon is handsome, can't really say the same of Davos though :)....

on a more serious note, I think she senses that Jon has more to him than meets the eye. She wants to bring more shadows into the world, of that i am certain, she says as much in her POV chapter, such shadows I bring here will be........

She tells Jon that he cast a long shadow on the wall when they go for a walk at somepoint, don't remember the details, but it's something about how Jon should embrace his power, and she could teach him few things with respect to that.

The same with Davos to an extent, his fire burns bright, as she would put it, the more powerful the man, the more powerful the shadow. She pretty much consumed Stannis, with the two shadows she made, and she is looking for someone new to suck the life out of (no pun intended)

Also, I think she is finally beginning to realize that Stannis might not be AH afterall, her last chapter planted that seed , when i ask for a glimpse of your champion, you show me snow and snow.... That is not to say I believe Jon is AH, i'm with Maester Aemon on this, I do think it's Danny, but I think Red (Rhorror) is telling her that the Stag is done, and it's the time for the wolf/(dragon, if R+L=J).

^^^

I think the flames are somewhat telling her that Jon is going to be important in the fight to come. I also think that the more she reads into Jon's story, the more she will see his story coincide with AAR. Jon has already sacrificed love to protect the realm, he has ventured North of the Wall, and he is a warg (like the Last Hero or AA might have been himself since they say he had symbiotic relationship with a dog). She obviously knows about Ygritte......soooo Melisandre I think will somewhat start making connections that make Stannis look like a pretender. Not to mention I think Stannis WILL fall, and then she will be forced to look elsewhere.

Why is Melisandre obsessed with Jon Snow? More specifically, having sex with him? Every Jon chapter she seems to cryptically suggest they have sex and she thinks about him almost all throughout her chapter (Even more then Stannis, who she believes is Azor Ahai reborn). It isn't just Jon too, Davos was also subject to her cryptic courting. Does she have some complex where she is attracted to men who do not trust her? Or is there something I am missing?

Two words: shadow babies.

I don't know whether Melisandre is sexually attracted towards Jon. (I don't know if she's capable of being sexually attracted to anyone). I think she respects and admires him, as she respects and admires Stannis, and even, in a way, Davos. She wants to have sex with men who are powerful leaders and warriors with strong life force, in order to create her killer shadows. However, she can't do it too often with the same man, in case she kills him.

I believe she also had sex with Mance Rayder, as part of the bargain she struck with him to save his life. He compared the ruby fastened to his wrist as being "like a woman's kiss. Your kiss." If she kissed him, I doubt if she'd stop there. Mance is another powerful leader and warrior with a strong life force.

Read my user name! :D

Every Jon chapter she seems to cryptically suggest they have sex and she thinks about him almost all throughout her chapter

Never realized that during my first read, but in my upcoming reread of the series, I'm going to watch out for those suggestions.

Apart from that, Melisandre has probably changed her views after asking the flames to see Azor Ahai, hoping for Stannis, but only seeing Jon Snow. It's probably then that she starts thinking about if she may have interpretated the flames in a wrong way and if Jon Snow rather than Stannis might be Azor Ahai - which is the reason for Melisandre to turn towards Jon Snow rather than Stannis. Ultimately, Melisandre trust completely in the power of her god, and since she's now starting to realize that Jon seems to be Azor Ahai, her interest for him is further raised. As she thinks of herself as a servant of the Red God, it's only consistent that she now concentrates on Jon.

As for the sexual connotations, I really have to reread Jon's chapters.

Never realized that during my first read, but in my upcoming reread of the series, I'm going to watch out for those suggestions.

Apart from that, Melisandre has probably changed her views after asking the flames to see Azor Ahai, hoping for Stannis, but only seeing Jon Snow. It's probably then that she starts thinking about if she may have interpretated the flames in a wrong way and if Jon Snow rather than Stannis might be Azor Ahai - which is the reason for Melisandre to turn towards Jon Snow rather than Stannis. Ultimately, Melisandre trust completely in the power of her god, and since she's now starting to realize that Jon seems to be Azor Ahai, her interest for him is further raised. As she thinks of herself as a servant of the Red God, it's only consistent that she now concentrates on Jon.

We're reading completely different books. Jon could be standing under flashing arrows, with an angelic choir repeated singing "he is Azor Ahai," while wearing a frickin' sticky nametag saying "Azor Ahai, Warrior of Light," and she would still think it was Stannis.

We're reading completely different books. Jon could be standing under flashing arrows, with an angelic choir repeated singing "he is Azor Ahai," while wearing a frickin' sticky nametag saying "Azor Ahai, Warrior of Light," and she would still think it was Stannis.

I've got the same impression. :D I've just reread the Melisandre chapter (it has been a looong time since the last read). And yes, it always seemed to me that she's changing her mind about the identity of Azor Ahai after this look in the fire, but it doesn't seem so, as she asks R'hllor to see Azor Ahai, but only sees "Snow". She sees the signs, but can't interpret them. So, sorry. I really have to reread those chapters before posting about something.

I wouldn't really say obsessed, but certainly interested for three reasons:

1.)He is Lord Commander--a powerful position

2.)She realizes that they need him for the fight yet to come--in some capacity

3.)Shadow Babies

Mel isn't subtle. She's pretty blunt about her propositions.

...wasn't she already doing that? XD

"I see Jon Snow every single time I look into the flames searching for Azor Ahai! I ask to see what awaits Azor Ahai and all of this stuff that's going to happen to Jon Snow appears! It's almost like I'm missing something here...oh, wait! I know!!! It's Stannis! I'm missing Stannis!"

...wasn't she already doing that? XD

"I see Jon Snow every single time I look into the flames searching for Azor Ahai! I ask to see what awaits Azor Ahai and all of this stuff that's going to happen to Jon Snow appears! It's almost like I'm missing something here...oh, wait! I know!!! It's Stannis! I'm missing Stannis!"

Which is my point (with some slightly hyperbolic elements for effect). She doesn't appear to be gradually realizing that Snow is AA.

She may think she will need a baby later. Or she wants to be able to influence him, later, when it will be needed.
She feels the strength of his blood. She knows he is a Stark's bastard and the Starks were kings for a very long time. So their blood should be powerful still.

Which is my point (with some slightly hyperbolic elements for effect). She doesn't appear to be gradually realizing that Snow is AA.

I'm absolutely agreeing with you...although I don't know if it's very hyperbolic at this point to say that she's literally being beat over the head with it and not realizing it. The Lord of Light is probably going "Oh, FFS, what do I have to do...send you a singing telegram??"

Archived