What's For Dinner v. 6

Xray the Enforcer

Just had a beef fillet, which had been brined and then bathed in black treacle all night before searing and roasting until barely rare.

OMG

It's lucky I live with someone who does all this finicky stuff as it's too much trouble for me most of the time. So delicious though.

is there anything that is better than pork crackling? i don't care that i can feel my arteries hardening as i consume.

My Dad is always partial to a roast pork sandwich with stuffing, crackling and gravy the day after we have a roast. He assures me it's delicious

I have no idea what to call the amalgamation that crawled forth from my kitchen tonight. 2lbs of ground buffalo, seasoning (Salt, Pepper, Red Pepper, Garlic Salt, Garlic Powder, Turmeric, Mint, Cinnamon, Cumin, Ginger, Lemon, Horseradish, Bleu cheese, celery salt, white pepper, a few others), about a cup full of chopped onions (red, white, and green mixed), about a cup of chopped ham, 3 shredded carrots, 3 finely chopped sticks of celery, about 1/8 cup of grated parmesan cheese, A white/chedder cheese sauce, a whole bag of Gluten Free spiral noodles, and a block of cream cheese just for good measure.

No idea what to call it, but it sure was delicious!

Last night I made a seafood grill. Big, fat scallops, shrimp and calamari rings, in a white wine sauce. Damn that was good.

My side was a frisee salad. The grocery store had these silly-and-too-expensive plastic boxes with 'live' frisee in them (with the root) but the lettuce was so fresh and tasty I want to run out and buy another one for tonight.

Wow, that sounds fab Fragile Bird! I've never cooked calamari, though I love eating it.

I was a bit worried about the calamari, because it's very easy to turn them into chewy rubber-like rings that are totally inedible. I grilled the scallops first, set them aside in a warm oven so they didn't cool off, then the shrimp, which I worried about undercooking and ended up slightly overcooking. I accidentally picked up a size one size too small from my usual shrimp. I added some butter to the pan and very very quickly grilled the calamari, just until a moment after they turned opaque. Then I deglazed the pan with half a cup of white wine, added some chopped white onion and chopped garlic, and reduced the wine down to a couple of tablespoons, then added about 3 tablespoons of butter and then chopped parsley and green onions at the very end.

All of the seafood came from frozen (defrosted first) because I can't always get the right size in fresh at the local grocery store, and going downtown to the market with tons of construction and traffic can be a real PITA. But also because frozen is generally frozen very fresh, and I don't always trust the fresh seafood in the grocery store. However, another local grocery store has just had a fabulous remodelling done with wonderful meat and seafood counters, and I may try them. You really have to trust your fishmonger. :)

is there anything that is better than pork crackling? i don't care that i can feel my arteries hardening as i consume.

Just saw this; No, there is nothing better. They are amazing

ETA: Plus, the place we're going tonight does foot long pork scratchings which are >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

No pics tonight, but we needed to use up a bunch of stuff and made some very good quesadillas, pico de gallo, and corn. Delicious. I love Mexican food so much.

I still feel like I mostly know how to make Tex-Mex rather than "proper" Mexican. I have Bayless' Authentic Mexican on MC's recommendation, and it's great -- Bayless is a tiny god -- I am still a little at a loss because I only rarely cook with meat. It sometimes feels like everything else is the class gringo Mexican joke: everything is beans, cheese, and vegetables in some form of tortilla. I made pozole once but other than that the Mexican I make mostly takes that form. Suggestions welcome.

Smoked a couple pork roasts the other day and it was the best they have turned out for me. Adjusted the woodbox on my smoker so I can produce smoke at a lower temp and I think it really paid off. One was a shoulder roast and the other a ham (location on pig) roast. Was able to keep temp around 190-200 for about 11 hours. It was awesome and I can't wait to use the leftovers for buritos, sandwiches, etc.

Also, some of the fat was like caramelized melt in your mouth delicious candy. It was amazing.

I peeled a zuchini into long thin strips and sauteed it with some thinly sliced red onion. This was served with sauteed tomatoes, garlic, crumbled soy sausage, and shredded parmesan/asiago cheese. Topped with minced parsley.

I had the best dessert I've ever eaten today, a hot passionfruit souffle with white chocolate ice cream. SO, SO, SO GOOD. All other desserts will be downhill from this point.

Since it's been hot and humid, :angry: I made a cold supper - a bed of mixed greens, topped with carrot, black olives, chopped hard-boiled egg, green onion, and plenty of cold shrimp (cut in halves.) Top it off with a dressing of mayo, ketchup, chili powder, stirred up well, and you've got yourself a pretty good dinner. Oh, and some heated soft breadsticks served with a seasoned olive oil dipping sauce.

For dessert (which we don't normally have, but what the hell) I had some coconut gelato :drool: and my husband had a slice of amaretto torta.

Good eats.

Archived