What's For Dinner v. 6

Xray the Enforcer

Pork chops here too.

Mine stuffed with Cajun boudin and served with pickled pepper hollandaise

i saw the pic. that looked amazing.

I'm cooking for tomorrow's extravaganza pop up.  You know when everyone is in white, you start with -- spicy gazpacho!  and fried chicken and avocado bean salad and hummus, from beans in a can! I said it.  and I'll find a clever use for bacon jam, I'm going to twist it and make it bbq fig bacon jam, but there will still be bourbon and coffee.  #SillyPosts2PadMyStats

My wonderful American friends, I come begging for knowledge.

My family (parents, partner, baby) are going to Fort Lauderdale over Thanksgiving, and meeting my brother, his wife, 2 children and my uncle and his partner. We are celebrating the christening of my niece and separately Thanksgiving. As a result I will be spending Xmas with my partners family.

For Thanksgiving dinner my Mum wants to do a ham as we would have it for Xmas. Boiled in alcoholic cider, then baked with sugar and spice. However she tried this a few years ago in New York and couldn't get an appropriate ham. Can you guys shine a light on where to source one? The ham should be bone in, so it would look like http://www.dishmaps.com/baked-christmas-ham/8931.

Separately are there any restaurants you would recommend?

My wonderful American friends, I come begging for knowledge.

My family (parents, partner, baby) are going to Fort Lauderdale over Thanksgiving, and meeting my brother, his wife, 2 children and my uncle and his partner. We are celebrating the christening of my niece and separately Thanksgiving. As a result I will be spending Xmas with my partners family.

For Thanksgiving dinner my Mum wants to do a ham as we would have it for Xmas. Boiled in alcoholic cider, then baked with sugar and spice. However she tried this a few years ago in New York and couldn't get an appropriate ham. Can you guys shine a light on where to source one? The ham should be bone in, so it would look like http://www.dishmaps.com/baked-christmas-ham/8931.

Separately are there any restaurants you would recommend?

If you are in Ft Lauderdale, go to any Publix and you should easily find what you are looking for.

http://www.publix.com/

Also, on another note, why a ham? Traditionally here in the US, we eat turkey on Thanksgiving. I quite often cook a ham as well, but the bird is always the primary course.

Christmas tradition. Turkey and ham for dinner. We're mixing the two up as my brother will be in the States for Xmas, I'll be in Dublin and my parents will be 200kms away. My brother also loves and craves a good ham.

There is a Publix near my uncles house, if we send him down around now do you think we could reserve the ham? Or at a minimum could they tell him if there will be a ham available.

Interesting that I've never been in this thread before, but I also made chili today for my dad who's visiting. But that's not what I'm here to post about.

I'm more than a bit tipsy right now on account of losing badly a ping-pong challenge against my aforementioned dad and BF (in my defense, I'm fucking great at ping-pong but I had to play lefty) that involved taking a shot after every set.

Anyways, with the rest of the house asleep (lucky fuckers) I didn't want to bother reheating the Chili or risk eating too much and not leaving enough for the season opener tomorrow (everyone knows leftover chili is the best chili) so I dug into our new refrigerator and found a couple pieces of Pizza from Monday that I probably would have thrown out tomorrow. Luckily I decided to pop that shit in the oven because it's fucking tasty! I've never really liked second-day pizza, but I guess third-day pizza is the magic number. It's crunchy without being weird and flavorful without being greasy.

Your Pony Queen has spoken. :P

I take left over pizza, chop it up into bite size pieces, cook up some scrambled eggs, then add the pizza for the last 5 minutes or so.  Get some crunch from the crust, cheese, and toppings with almost no extra work.  Great hangover food too!

Christmas tradition. Turkey and ham for dinner. We're mixing the two up as my brother will be in the States for Xmas, I'll be in Dublin and my parents will be 200kms away. My brother also loves and craves a good ham.

There is a Publix near my uncles house, if we send him down around now do you think we could reserve the ham? Or at a minimum could they tell him if there will be a ham available.

There will pretty much always be ham available at the Publix, so you don't have to get it now, You can more than likely walk in on Thanksgiving itself and pick it up if you so choose. I always pick mine up the week I am going to cook it.

• 1 month later...

If you are in Ft Lauderdale, go to any Publix and you should easily find what you are looking for.

http://www.publix.com/

Also, on another note, why a ham? Traditionally here in the US, we eat turkey on Thanksgiving. I quite often cook a ham as well, but the bird is always the primary course.

Why not a ham.  Ham is one of the ways we know baby Jesus loved us.

Eating the last :crying: of the chickens my dad raised tonight.  Leftovers will go into an awesome soup to be enjoyed by our hunting group this weekend.

Why not a ham.  Ham is one of the ways we know baby Jesus loved us.

Eating the last :crying: of the chickens my dad raised tonight.  Leftovers will go into an awesome soup to be enjoyed by our hunting group this weekend.

As a pig eating Jew, I whole heartedly support the consumption of swine... Thanksgiving, is not Thanksgiving, without the sweet tryptophan coma  that only comes when imbibing the great bird coupled with copious amounts of carbohydrates. 

I made pork jerky from some pork steak (uncured steaks from the ham) and pork loin.  Holy crap that stuff is wonderfully delicious.  It is a little like ham but smokier and peppery.

I need to get on the pork jerky marketing board...Why isn't this stuff everywhere?

I need to make small thank-you gifts for a bunch of (20-25) people. My plan is to make fresh chocolate chip cookies and bundle them up into attractive packages. One of those people is diabetic and has previously declined even a single cookie. I do not want to leave this person out or give them a thoughtless gift that I know they won't enjoy.

I don't have a clear understanding of what diabetics can and can't eat. I am more than happy to put in the effort to make a one-off of something nice. I would rather not just make the cookies with Splenda or whatever, particularly because I don't think she will feel comfortable trusting me not to accidentally endanger her, so probably I need to make something that is clearly diabetic-friendly rather than an adaptation of something that normally isn't.

Any suggestions?

I need to make small thank-you gifts for a bunch of (20-25) people. My plan is to make fresh chocolate chip cookies and bundle them up into attractive packages. One of those people is diabetic and has previously declined even a single cookie. I do not want to leave this person out or give them a thoughtless gift that I know they won't enjoy.

I don't have a clear understanding of what diabetics can and can't eat. I am more than happy to put in the effort to make a one-off of something nice. I would rather not just make the cookies with Splenda or whatever, particularly because I don't think she will feel comfortable trusting me not to accidentally endanger her, so probably I need to make something that is clearly diabetic-friendly rather than an adaptation of something that normally isn't.

Any suggestions?

In terms of what diabetics can have, I think it depends on the individual. Both in terms of how much their blood sugar is affected and how strict they are with their diet. Just speaking from personal experience here, but we had two diabetics in the family* and one was always disregarding any kind of special diet, always eating chocolate, scones, biscuits etc. And his blood sugar was always fine. The other is stricter, although still allows himself the occasional treat. I can't think of anything specifically diabetic friendly from the top of my head. These honey and spice biscuits http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/380671/Honey-and-spice-biscuits are good, both with and without the filling. They are only 2oz sugar so not too bad. Not sure how sugary it is, but the "strict" diabetic in our family offer has banana cakes and carrot cakes. 

Sorry I can't be of more help

Any suggestions?

Do you know if she is type 1 or type 2? Do they use insulin or do they control their diabetes by diet alone?

I'm a type 1, insulin dependent diabetic and I generally avoid things things that contain a lot of simple sugars. They tend to spike blood glucose levels faster than the insulin is absorbed, leading to high levels of blood sugars for a small period of time. This is not only bad for long term health, but it makes controlling the levels difficult as the time between the spikes and the insulin is all out of whack. I mean, I do allow myself a treat every now and then, but it sounds like this person might be controlling her diabetes via diet only, in which case I understand it's pretty important not to indulge in those kinds of foods at all.

If you're baking everything, a nice savory pastry would be thoughtful and delicious. Maybe some kind of cheese biscuit or scone with herbs? 

I just finished reading Ruhlman's Twenty while in a deathly boring meeting that has nothing to do with me. What a fantastic book. Can't recommend it enough (to people of roughly similar cooking experience to me -- I don't know that a professional will get out of it, or, say, deedles).

I think Thanksgiving food is boring, and I'm hosting, so I can make food I like more instead. I'm also hosting my parents, so I have to accommodate a relatively picky eater in my dad. Most of it is nothing unusual, but there are a few things I've never made before, including the main course, so we did a dry run on Ms. Ini's family. Item #1 was a pot roast. Apart from misreading "1 cup" of crushed tomatoes as of "1 can," resulting in 28oz of tomato instead of 8oz, this turned out great, if more of a stew than a roast. But I'm pretty confident for T-day proper.

Item #2 was a no-egg and no-gelatin chocolate mousse. The resulting recipe is about three ingredients, comes together completely in a few minutes, is basically chocolate whipped cream, and turned out wonderfully. We shaved some dark chocolate on top as a garnish.

Do you know if she is type 1 or type 2? Do they use insulin or do they control their diabetes by diet alone?

I'm a type 1, insulin dependent diabetic and I generally avoid things things that contain a lot of simple sugars. They tend to spike blood glucose levels faster than the insulin is absorbed, leading to high levels of blood sugars for a small period of time. This is not only bad for long term health, but it makes controlling the levels difficult as the time between the spikes and the insulin is all out of whack. I mean, I do allow myself a treat every now and then, but it sounds like this person might be controlling her diabetes via diet only, in which case I understand it's pretty important not to indulge in those kinds of foods at all.

If you're baking everything, a nice savory pastry would be thoughtful and delicious. Maybe some kind of cheese biscuit or scone with herbs? 

Thank you! This is very helpful.

Archived