What's For Dinner v. 6

Xray the Enforcer

In my country we have a national celebration day today, so my menu mostly follows the traditions. Mini sausages and cocktail meatballs, french fries, potato salad, oven-cooked salmon with dill&lemon, served with sparkling wine. Strawberry cake for dessert.

Asparagus season is starting (white ones), but it is still a bit colder than I associate with proper preparation. So I made a variation.

Roux based pasta sauce with asparagus, using the cooking liquid in the roux, some added finely sliced cooked ham, some boiled eggs and some creme fraiche. Came out very nice.

Tonight I'm going to do some short ribs braised in stock and beer. Leeks, tomato paste, mushroom for extra umami, celery, cabbage, various herbs & heavy on the black & white pepper. Should be ready by the morning for lunch tomorrow.

The short ribs are bubbling away. For dinner tonight I threw together a huitlacoche omelette with parmesan cheese and deep fried garlic. I thought I would miss queso fresco, but actually the parmesan was perfect. My only regret is that now I'm out of parmesan. Also it was great cooked in butter but next time I'm going to use the last of the duck fat.

Note to self: buy more duck fat next payday.

Made a pot roast that wound up with lots of nice liquid left over.  The kids checked it and wound up putting two extra cups of water in there, so I have a nice beef stock instead of the gravy I had been looking for.  Tonight will be a veggie soup cooked in leftovers.  I'm thinking lentils, mushrooms, carrots, celery, corn, tomatoes, potatos and broccoli.  Easy, especially if I make them do it.

23 hours ago, Howdyphillip said:

I am busting out the grill tonight for hamburgers tonight. I think that I will stuff them with Gouda and smoke green chilies to top them off. 

That sounds delicious.

Was gonna save 'em till tomorrow but there's a strong chance of rain so I'm gonna get to work on some Ribeyes here in a minute. Normally I'm all about that dry rub lifestyle, but the BF has been clamoring for this Jack Daniels marinade since last month so I'm gonna give that a try.

Classic Veggie Pack to go with (squash, zucchini, potatoes, onion, broccoli, asparagus, and cauliflower all doused in butter to make sure no health gets in there), and if the neighbors are gonna make an appearance I might make some burgers myself.

Since that was supposed to be our Thrones meal, I think I'll make Gumbo tomorrow instead.

Easy soup with udon noodles, ginger, garlic and green onions and a miso base out of the fridge.  Dumplings out of the freezer with soy sesame lemon sriracha sauce.  Kids will be cooking again. I will be watching TV.

Archived