What's For Dinner v. 6

Xray the Enforcer

Cold spell here.  Time for some chicken noodle soup.  I will put the chicken parts in the a slow cooker tomorrow with some seasoning and liquid and then make the soup when I get home from work.

Today I ordered pickled szechuan vegetables with hot peppers for lunch, and just taking the lid off of the takeout container was like being pepper sprayed. It was amazing.

Earlier this week I made a pork shoulder stew that I've been working my way through for dinner. Leeks, onion, cabbage, garlic, charred tomatoes, whole peppercorns, assorted spices, bone-in pork shoulder, Ephemere Poire from Unibroue as the braising liquid. It needs some acid and some heat, which I add to the bowl when I eat it. Balsamic works OK but red wine vinegar or umeboshi vinegar is the best, and of course sriracha or Angry Chef.

9 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

No taste of soap this time?

A little bit, but this time I super-duper washed and then skinned the pork shoulder, and also made sure that my braise was more acidic. Seemed to do the trick.

It was snowing here today.  Snowing.  The chicken noodle soup really hit the spot.  Decided to make dumplings for it as well. I don't know if this is weird, but my families dumplings (passed down from my German grandma) are just eggs and flour.  They are simple, but delicious, especially with farm fresh eggs.

22 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

I don't know. It might be worth ordering the norovirus just to see how it's presented!

it is one of those subtle ingredients that one doesn't quite perceive until the violent diarrhea and vomiting set in. 

I took advantage of the nice weather to go grill on the roof for the first time this year. Burgers (some all-beef, some a beef and bacon blend, all bought from the new butcher down the street) with grilled jalapenos, served on grill-toasted English muffins with potato salad on the side.

Last night I made some thai yellow curry with yellow curry paste that my friend brought me from her trip to thailand, coconut milk, chicken stock, chicken thigh, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, yellow onion, green beans, green bell pepper, bean sprouts, minced garlic and ginger and rice. I wanted to put squash in it, but I accidentally bought spaghetti squash, which was really not what I was going for (I prefer big chunks of tender squash to soak up the flavor of the curry). I also added some cayenne into the coconut milk to make it spicier. It was super good! :>

Fresh walleye we just caught on the Minnesota fishing opener Saturday.  Breaded and deep fried.  It was yummy.  The walleye opener is almost a state holiday, shitty weather and all.  The morning started off at 26 degrees with plenty of wind.  Not ideal for being out on the lakes.  Hence, we snagged our catch on the river.

Archived