What's For Dinner v. 6

Xray the Enforcer

On 5/25/2016 at 0:09 AM, Howdyphillip said:

It was 50 cent corndog day at Sonic here in Texas... I'm still pissed they didn't let me order 300 of them.

Awesome.  Corndogs are so underrated.

A couple of nights ago we had Thai Peanut Chicken Wraps.  It was a first time recipe for me and turned out really well.

Tonight, an old stand by of venison fajitas.  Using eye-of-the-round, at least that is the cut we have always called it, a really nice (imo the best) steak from the hind quarter.

Yesterday the wonderful Inigima took some Rogues and floozies out to lunch at the Abbey Burger.  I had an antelope burger on a pretzel bun, cooked rare with lettuce, tomato.  This one gave the BRGR a run for it's money.  It was DELICIOUS.  So juicy I had to take another shower after I ate it.

THANK YOU INI!!!

Now I don't ever want to eat anything else.

So I had something new.  My uncle found it spreading it's pores on an old oak tree...

It was a chicken-of-the-woods mushroom.  They are red, yellow, and white.  Kind of gross looking but fried in butter with salt, pepper, garlic, and butter they are phenomenal.  There was so much in the one bunch I got to take a pile home as well.

Tonight's dinner was a tenderloin, pounded, breaded and fried topped with a chili con queso, fresh guacamole, and sour cream served with borracho beans and Mexican rice. That is right folks, tonight, I had a Tex-Mex Chicken fried steak. I love living in Texas.

I have wanted to try making my own chicken fried steak since I feel like no restaurants around here could do it justice.  I have also thought about trying it with venison.  So if anyone has a great recipe for a beginner let me know.

7 hours ago, wolverine said:

I have wanted to try making my own chicken fried steak since I feel like no restaurants around here could do it justice.  I have also thought about trying it with venison.  So if anyone has a great recipe for a beginner let me know.

Do you have a recipe for fried chicken that you like? If so, use that only with steak instead. A lot of people go cheap on the cut of meat when they are cooking chicken fried steak, but that is a mistake. I use tenderloin. Just make sure you pound it out. 

7 hours ago, wolverine said:

On 6/9/2016 at 2:54 PM, HowdyGareth Bale said:

Do you have a recipe for fried chicken that you like? If so, use that only with steak instead. A lot of people go cheap on the cut of meat when they are cooking chicken fried steak, but that is a mistake. I use tenderloin. Just make sure you pound it out. 

No I have never made it.

All right... here goes... 

Peanut oil in a deep fryer heated to 350 degrees.

Take a large bowl and beat eggs. add milk, beer (I use Shiner bock) and flour, and whisk until you have a batter. It should be a little thinner than what you would use to make pancakes.

Take another bowl and add flour, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, cumin, and paprika and mix it to taste. 

Take your steak or chicken, and dip it in the bowl with batter. When it is covered, dip it in the seasoned flour. Drop it in the hot oil and cook it until it is golden brown.

I... I have a confession to make.

We had way too many bananas and I was desperate to find a way to use them up so I Googled around for dinner-appropriate recipes involving bananas, and I came up with this recipe from the Chiquita Bananas website of all places. I made it and I... liked it?

EDIT: I did not make the dip because that sounded disgusting.

Made kimcheez-its last night. Attempt was almost a success. They're edible and they taste great, but I couldn't quite get the crunch I was looking for. I think the dough was too moist. Next time I'll press more juice out of the kimchee to make it dryer before I integrate the dough. Also I might see if I can borrow a food dehydrator instead of trying to dry in the oven after primary baking is done.

Archived