What's For Dinner v. 6

Xray the Enforcer

On 6/13/2016 at 2:29 PM, HowdyGareth Bale said:

All right... here goes... 

Peanut oil in a deep fryer heated to 350 degrees.

Take a large bowl and beat eggs. add milk, beer (I use Shiner bock) and flour, and whisk until you have a batter. It should be a little thinner than what you would use to make pancakes.

Take another bowl and add flour, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, cumin, and paprika and mix it to taste. 

Take your steak or chicken, and dip it in the bowl with batter. When it is covered, dip it in the seasoned flour. Drop it in the hot oil and cook it until it is golden brown.

kind of exactly what he is saying,  but I like a double dip. makes for a thicker crust. I can pass over the beer and find sour cream,  creme fraiche, or buttermilk offers a better flavor. 

Awesome.  Thanks.  I think I might try it with venison loin tonight.  I have two nice slabs of meat in the fridge, a pork loin, and a venison loin and want to do something I have not done before.

I can't believe I just read 20 pages about food. Well, I can, because I watch cooking shows like some people watch soap operas.

Dinner was peas and carrots just picked out of the garden, sauted briefly with butter and dill and tarragon plus salt and pepper. There wasn't much more than 3 bites each between me and my housemate but so good. Then I ran out of steam and had a frozen enchilada dinner.

I make Thai curries all the time- stir fry veg and protein (prefried cubes of tofu), when almost done, scramble an egg in and add a spoonful of peanut butter (crunchy) and a can of coconut milk, plus thai curry paste to taste. Top with fresh shredded basil, serve over rice noodles or rice.

Just got a book called the vegan pantry, lots of interesting ideas I am excited to try. I like the idea of making fake meat rather than buying all the super processed ingredient heavy fake meat options at the store all the time. Need to hit the asian market for the stuff I don't normally have on hand like miso and maybe the Indian grocery too. No where to find vital wheat gluten? Because no one eats that stuff theses days, they should be giving it away.

Today I'm probably planning on having a very random dinner. Mostly because I'm just trying to get rid of some of the old stuff I have in my fridge before going for a refill. But also because I'm a lazy cook and a poor student lol. A quick look into my cupboard reveals that I have a couple of boiled potatoes, some salted fish, some kind of fruit salad, eggs, dry old bread and walnuts. Gonna work some magic and see what comes out of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Last night, used the leftover pork from our front shoulder roast (my dad raises a few pigs for butchering each year) to make tacos.  So basically pulled pork tacos with some fresh peppers and onions from the garden. 

Tonight we had burgers on the grill with broccoli from our garden also grilled.  The beef came from a local farmer.  Add new potatoes from the garden (baby reds, at least when the big ones are cut up ;)) boiled then tossed around in some butter, thyme, salt, pepper, and garlic.  I'll eat food from anywhere, but it is kinda cool when I know where it all came from.

• 1 month later...

Today I was a guest in my friend's house and we had an amazing dinner ^_^
We had a very tasty salad from fresh vegetables and cheese, as I know it's called the Greek one :rolleyes:
Also some pan fried potatoes with meat and spices ^_^ And a chocolate cake with cappuccino made with this stuff http://jonsguide.org/best-cappuccino-maker-reviews/ , everything was very tasty! ^_^

Archived