What's For Dinner v. 6

Xray the Enforcer

Saturday our flat made a christmas lunch (its early i know, but one of them went away yesterday). Didnt buy turkey as there was only thr three of us, but we did cook a chicken (wrapped in smoked streaky bacon of course). Accompanied by steamed carrots, peas, honey roasted parsnips, sweet potato mash, sage and onion stuffing,pigs in blankets and yorkshire puddings (made by yours truly). All turned out well, except the gravy, which we tried to make from scratch and spoiled. So we relied on good old gravy granules instead...

Desert was homemade profiteroles with dark chocolate sauce.

Sunday each of us had a variety of dishes made from the leftovers 

We did the same, apart from a few different vegetables and wrapping the chicken in bacon*. We made gravy from granules too, turns out adding copious amounts of wine vastly improves it! xD

Honey roasted parsnips are the best part of Christmas.

*Which I will now definitely be doing at some point

Incorrect. That honour goes to pigs in blankets. And leftover sandwiches...

• 2 weeks later...

what is this...no one has had a meal in 2 weeks...shocking

so i will jump off and be the first to say since i ate at someone else's house this year, so no leftovers...means tonight is fresh red snapper baked w/ lemons and herb butter. the lemons are off my tree and fresh herbs from the garden in a butter number one niece made me for christmas...i also got roasted red pepper and a great pesto one as well.

happy dining folks

:smoking:

Yesterday was leftovers, so I had cold turkey, pickles and salad. Not very exciting, but nice to have after indulging.

Today we had paprika chicken, which is chicken, onions, mushroom and peppers fried then cooked a sauce made from stock, chopped tomatoes, cornflour (mixed into a liquid to thicken), smoked paprika, herbs, salt and pepper, then soured cream stirred through before serving. Had that with rice, very tasty. 

Tomorrow we need to have something with seafood as it needs using. We have cod and prawns, so I will have a look this evening for some nice recipes.

fried cod and fiery cajun prawns...served with linguini noodles

fry cod in corn meal or flour as you like....saute prawns with a mix of old bay seasoning, crushed red peppers and sriracha and i throw in fire roasted tomatoes with juice 

serve noodles with prawns and sauce with a piece of fried cod on top...good with salad, garlic bread and dry white wine...

a cajun delight ;)

Yesterday was leftovers, so I had cold turkey, pickles and salad. Not very exciting, but nice to have after indulging.

Today we had paprika chicken, which is chicken, onions, mushroom and peppers fried then cooked a sauce made from stock, chopped tomatoes, cornflour (mixed into a liquid to thicken), smoked paprika, herbs, salt and pepper, then soured cream stirred through before serving. Had that with rice, very tasty. 

Tomorrow we need to have something with seafood as it needs using. We have cod and prawns, so I will have a look this evening for some nice recipes.

It all sounds delicious!  When we make paprika chicken, the only change I make to your recipe is that we generally serve it with wide noodles. 

We had osso bucco on Christmas Day (the only time I'll serve my husband veal, due to... you know.)  Alongside it was risotto.  He devoured it so I guess it turned out well.  (I'm off food.)  Then two days later we had prime rib with horseradish sauce and twice-baked potatoes and Caesar salad. 

I'm craving seafood now. 

Tonight we're doing duck confit.  Salad with oranges, red cabbage, pepitas and pommegranate.  Probably some potato dish too.

Here's our dinner from Christmas, roast leg of lamb, with greenbeans, a gratin of potatos, sweet potatoes, celeriac, and fennel, and some pickled brussel sprouts with beets. TUFGk3K.jpgxO4Uy7i.jpg

I kind of screwed up the gravy.  I had some rosemary leftover that threw in fresh while reducing the gravy, which left it kind of bitter.  The rosemary seemed like a good idea but I was kind of drunk.  Also added a small bit of flour to thicken it, but I think that was unnecessary.  So I won't do that again.

fried cod and fiery cajun prawns...served with linguini noodles

fry cod in corn meal or flour as you like....saute prawns with a mix of old bay seasoning, crushed red peppers and sriracha and i throw in fire roasted tomatoes with juice 

serve noodles with prawns and sauce with a piece of fried cod on top...good with salad, garlic bread and dry white wine...

a cajun delight ;)

That sounds really good. I'll make a note of that and try it sometime. 

As it happens we made home-made fish cakes which turned out alright, but I think possibly we used too much potato as they were very stodgy. 

ToL, paprika chicken is my go to dish if I'm stuck for something to make. And the beauty is it serves well with pretty much anything you want too

Nice dinner this evening. Cauliflower soup with some Parmesan, sirloin steak, bearnaise sauce (with a dash of angry chef hot sauce), broccoli and duck fat oven chips. Some left over sticky toffee pudding from yesterday.

tomorrow we are going for dinner to a truly excellent Indian restaurant.

• 2 months later...

Steak and lamb chops on the grill.  My wife is a still a little sheepish about eating lamb, other than ground lamb (pun intended).  Sad thing was our two year old ate half her steak and a couple chops!  He must really think he's a carnivore.

Archived