What's For Dinner v. 6

Xray the Enforcer

Thanks y'all!

We had to make a strawberry shortcake for a birthday yesterday, and I tried a little experiment. We reserved a little batter and made a few miniature ones in a muffin tin. The idea was to slice them horizontally, put fresh strawberry jam in the middle and relayer them to wind up with a layered cylinder, then put fresh whipped cream on top and garnish with a strawberry.

It sort of worked. The top domed, which I should have expected, but that doesn't really matter since the whipped cream would cover it. More concerning, the edges browned and flared back up. We ended up using a paring knife to trim the edges off. Mostly it worked, although they didn't look as perfect as I'd have liked. But they were delicious. I brought my mom some for Mother's Day.

http://i.imgur.com/1YFcgsD.jpg

I have no idea what latkes are but they look delicious :)

Latkes are potato pancakes. They aren't exclusively Jewish, but they are associated with Judaism and traditionally served with applesauce at Chanukah.

if only i knew what was for dinner.

i am kind of without inspiration on the food front. work has stolen all my inspiration. a menu change, mothers day, upcoming events at the zoo and a nepalese charity dinner pretty much have left me hoping to just have dinner fall into my lap.

help the culinary tapped chef with dinner, people.

if only i knew what was for dinner.

i am kind of without inspiration on the food front. work has stolen all my inspiration. a menu change, mothers day, upcoming events at the zoo and a nepalese charity dinner pretty much have left me hoping to just have dinner fall into my lap.

help the culinary tapped chef with dinner, people.

Some thoughts from stuff I've made recently:

- Empanadas. Black beans, beef, or both. Fresh salsa. Rice and beans or roasted vegetables or sautéed summer squash. Maybe plantains if you can get them.

- Spinach-feta borek (http://littleferrarokitchen.com/2014/01/spinach-feta-borek-turkish-spinach-pie/), requires phyllo dough. Mediterranean salad with chickpeas and tahini dressing, or tabbouleh.

- Cast-iron bar-style tortilla pizzas, your choice of toppings. Side salad, oil and vinegar.

Tonight. Crispy lamb with a couscous salad. Lamb is slow cooked shanks, shredded and crisped up with cumin seed, coriander seed, ground cinnamon and clove, turmeric and chili flakes, and a good squeeze of honey. Salad of couscous, pomegranate seeds, spring onion, fried red onion, basil, coriander and a red wine vinegar dressing.

I thought I'd show my face today. Last night was:

Smoked leg of lamb

smoked baby back ribs

Bacon Mac and Cheese Not from a box.

Rustic, yellow woman beans with peppers (http://ranchogordo.com/collections/heirloom-beans/products/yellow-indian-women-bean)

Spicyh Coleslaw

Finished with raspberry pie (bought) with Lemon Sorbet (home made)

why yes, you do need more heirloom beans in your world :)

I thought I'd show my face today. Last night was:

Smoked leg of lamb

smoked baby back ribs

Bacon Mac and Cheese Not from a box.

Rustic, yellow woman beans with peppers (http://ranchogordo.com/collections/heirloom-beans/products/yellow-indian-women-bean)

Spicyh Coleslaw

Finished with raspberry pie (bought) with Lemon Sorbet (home made)

why yes, you do need more heirloom beans in your world :)

Had you posted this 24 hours earlier, you'd have had uninvited surprise company...

Chicken Fajitas tonight. Haven't made them in ages, although they used to be a regular meal. Added a bit too much cinnamon, but it wasn't a disaster.

In the future I'll try to make sure I have mushrooms in as I really missed them today. Meat to veg ratio was way out of control.

What spices do you use for the fajita seasoning? Mine is always a bit bland but I'm never sure what to add.

(Currently use smoked paprika, cumin, garlic, chilli and coriander. Never heard of cinnamon in fajitas before)

ETA: also, everything is better with mushrooms. Sometimes I think I must be a hobbit, I love mushrooms so much

Snap. We had fajitas here too, though, like Birdie, we wrap with lettuce rather than tortillas. I find a lettuce wrap allows the flavours to be centre stage. I think the tortilla rather mutes the spice. I do love guacamole though. And I get to have avocado scrambled egg for lunch tomorrow.

Thanks all!

And Leap, I did mean I add the garlic with the mushrooms and onions etc. But I consider it part of the fajita seasoning. Might try out some cinnamon next time I make them.

As for the lettuce wraps, I've never heard of doing those before but they sound pretty nice. Will have to give them a try sometime. I actually quite like the fajita filling just stirred through rice sometimes too.

I made a thai stiry fry. I started replacing rice with TVP (textured vegetable protein) sometimes, and it's a great replacement for two reasons:

1. The prep is instant, which is great for me since I usually forget about getting the rice started in advance. 2. The texture is just like rice, meaning it also absorbs all the extra sauce and flavors, quelling the dish if you accidentally made it too spicy.

A little tangy-ness, by way of citrus, I find really makes a fajita. I like to use a bit of zest and juice from lime and or bitter orange

Absolutely. Citrus juice or vinegar is like a magic ingredient sometimes in anything spicy or savory. I make my own soup often, and that final splash of vinegar or lemon juice in the pot brightens it up tremendously.

• 2 weeks later...

Saturday night special here.

Warm beetroot and goats cheese salad.

Langoustines poached in butter on whole grain brown bread.

Monkfish l'american.

Apple and passionfruit tartlets.

No wonder I'm not losing weight! Worth it though.

Eta spelling.

Made a fuckload of cookies today. Girlfriend's niece requested two things for her birthday tonight: Snickerdoodles and my presence. How can you say no? You cannot.

So we made snickerdoodles, derailed slightly when I accidentally added baking powder instead of baking soda. I called King Arthur's baker's hotline to ask if that would be a problem, and they assured me it would be fine. They didn't flatten out as much as they should, but they are otherwise fine.

However, after taste-testing a few -- really, a few, like 3 -- somehow we only had about 40 cookies despite making a double batch, and she insisted on reserving some for my parents, whom we are seeing tomorrow. I have no idea how this happened since last time we made a double batch of snickerdoodles we had snickerdoodles out the wazoo. I offered to make another batch; girlfriend was skeptical, but I won her over into at least making more dessert by proposing peanut butter cookies. So now we have somewhere north of 50 peanut butter cookies, about half of which are coming tonight and about half of which are coming tonight, and about half of which are staying here or also going to my parents.

Went out to eat for first.time in a long time, had a delicious kimchi burger, but before the burger destroyed thr palate had a "smells like a safety meeting" from Dark Horse, which was the perfect beer for the moment on tap. What did I wash the.burger down with? A can of tecate. This was all at Welsh themed pub called Peint o Gwrw.

Archived