Why do so many people hate Jon Snow?

Ser Triston Stark

The story gives many reasons to hate most characters, not least among them the way they keep ending up in conflict against each other.

Jon is actually one of the most likeable of them all. I will admit that his plots are often a bit dull by comparison, though.

That said, it is weird how popularity is often at odds with what the books actually show.

I don't like him because he's a ragin' mary sue in a story that's otherwise refreshingly lacking them.

First of all, I seriously don't understand a lot of his actions.

"You called me a bastard in a completely neutral tone and that makes me angry even though I've been called that for 14 years!"

"I just want to win my father's respect and be treated like his trueborn kids! Better go join a group where all members forsake family ties!"

"They cut off my father's head so I'm going to desert and find my brother, who will then be obliged to cut off MY head for being a deserter!"

Also in mary-sue fashion, he's treated...differently. The book opens with a deserter getting beheaded- these NW guys don't fuck around with discipline. Jon Snow seems to dodge so many consequences and gets crazy rewards without even seeking them. It doesn't add up.

"Oh you tried to desert? Tsk tsk, no dessert for you!"

"Oh you actually DID desert, killed Quorhin and spent a long time with the wildlings? No dessert for you for a week!"

"Oh you steward I've known for a little while, you sort of saved my life (like dozens of other people in my long career). Have this priceless sword, the last major heirloom of my family (My sister and her family? Fuck'em).

"Oh you kid with barely any experience and questionable loyalties, sure I'll vote for you as lord commander!"

Most offensively of all, everything good that happens to him is not due to his own efforts, he actively tries to push it away, and he only gets it because other people cajole him into it.

"Oh I couldn't possibly have a direwolf pup"

"Oh I couldn't possibly take this nice sword"

"Oh I couldn't possibly fall in love with this cute quirky wildling"

"Oh I couldn't possibly be lord commander"

What a drip. I would have gladly joined in the stabbing.

Jon has a number of flaws like every other character (maybe more than Ned, Robb and Bran) but I find him one the most interesting and likeable characters in the entire series. A lot of what makes Jon unique is his inner thoughts and musings over events, decisions and people. He's not an external character like Tyrion and nor is he an excellent warrior like Jaime. And nor is he as honorable as Ned or Robb - I reckon Jon is a lot more pragmatic and willing to bend his honor than his father/uncle or half-brother/maternal cousin.

Also in mary-sue fashion, he's treated...differently. The book opens with a deserter getting beheaded- these NW guys don't fuck around with discipline. Jon Snow seems to dodge so many consequences and gets crazy rewards without even seeking them. It doesn't add up.

"Oh you tried to desert? Tsk tsk, no dessert for you!"

"Oh you actually DID desert, killed Quorhin and spent a long time with the wildlings? No dessert for you for a week!"

"Oh you steward I've known for a little while, you sort of saved my life (like dozens of other people in my long career). Have this priceless sword, the last major heirloom of my family (My sister and her family? Fuck'em).

"Oh you kid with barely any experience and questionable loyalties, sure I'll vote for you as lord commander!"

Most offensively of all, everything good that happens to him is not due to his own efforts, he actively tries to push it away, and he only gets it because other people cajole him into it.

"Oh I couldn't possibly have a direwolf pup"

"Oh I couldn't possibly take this nice sword"

"Oh I couldn't possibly fall in love with this cute quirky wildling"

"Oh I couldn't possibly be lord commander"

What a drip. I would have gladly joined in the stabbing.

Awesome post.

I am curious about people who find Jon's or Bran's story boring. How do you think a fantasy fiction should look like? Fifty Shades of Daario?

People who find Jon boring don't necessarily dislike the fantasy elements of the plot. Yes, its true for some, but finding Jon boring for me, and many others I've spoken to, has nothing to do with the magical elements of the plot. We simply find him a bland character.

ETA: Aside from that, Jon doesn't have much magic in his arc. Yeah, he's involved in the big ice zombie arc, but since that is progressing at a glacial pace, there is very little actual magic going on

ETA: Aside from that, Jon doesn't have much magic in his arc. Yeah, he's involved in the big ice zombie arc, but since that is progressing at a glacial pace, there is very little actual magic going on

Personally, the characters I associate the most with the magical side of the story are Dany and Bran.

People who find Jon boring don't necessarily dislike the fantasy elements of the plot. Yes, its true for some, but finding Jon boring for me, and many others I've spoken to, has nothing to do with the magical elements of the plot. We simply find him a bland character.

Lol. Having a magic sword, being a warg with a huge direwolf, fighting zombies, finding magic weapons, going on a ranging to explore the Haunted Forest; what are these if not magic elements?

Personally, the characters I associate the most with the magical side of the story are Dany and Bran.

Yeah, Dany is more magical side of the story than the guy who fights zombies with a magic sword.

Yeah, Dany is more magical side of the story than the guy who fights zombies with a magic sword.

Longclaw isn't magic. It's rare, and valuable, not magic.

Dany has survived a night in a pyre, unburnt, brought dragons back from extinction (dragons are heavily tied in with magic you know), fought the warlocks at the HotU, and has Quaithe (similar to Bloodraven with Bran).

I don't like him because he's a ragin' mary sue in a story that's otherwise refreshingly lacking them.

Welcome to Jon Haters Anonymous! :)

he only gets it because other people cajole him into it.

Even when his neck is (literally) on the line, he just mopes and refuses to even vote in the election. Jon doesn't deserve Sam.

Longclaw isn't magic. It's rare, and valuable, not magic.

Dany has survived a night in a pyre, unburnt, brought dragons back from extinction (dragons are heavily tied in with magic you know), fought the warlocks at the HotU, and has Quaithe (similar to Bloodraven with Bran).

VS is magic due to the blood sacrifices used to empower it.

I am not denying that Dany is magical. But so far, there is nothing relating her to the impending icy apocalypse (the Song), which is basically what the essence of story is all about. So far, Dany's priority has been the Game. I don't expect an abrupt change in that.

The majority might dislike his character more than his person, for what he MIGHT become, which for me story-wise and character-wise would not fit aswell... but i like Jon Snow he's a good lad...

But spending all the series in the far North, for very late in the game become King of Westeros? Almost the same with Dany and Essos, but that at least provokes good shakes in the story, with dragons in westeros and all...

Will it happen? Probably... will i find it extremely good character story telling? No...

Besides, i think Jon would be happy in the North and not on the IT

I am not denying that Dany is magical. But so far, there is nothing relating her to the impending icy apocalypse (the Song), which is basically what the essence of story is all about. So far, Dany's priority has been the Game. I don't expect an abrupt change in that.

I think we can agree that her dragons are something to do with the ice apocalypse. I think the dragons relate her to the Song .(Also going by the show's foreshadowing ) she will get there eventually.

Except the dream she had about fighting an icy army from dragonback. I agree the Others are the main part of the story, and if you think one of the main characters isn't going to be involved in that story line I think it's wishful thinking on your part, God forbid Jon would have to share some of the spotlight with Dany.

I think we can agree that her dragons are something to do with the ice apocalypse.

Not sure about that. We do not know what the Others are capable of. Maybe they will make a short work of dragons. What we do know is that even large dragons cannot fly in stormy weather and Dany's dragons do not like even the rain. So, the dragons might die from the cold itself in an extreme blizzard. Not to mention, the Others might have ice dragons of their own. And this is all assuming that Dany will not lose dragons or dragonriders in the large chain of wars awaiting her.

I think the dragons relate her to the Song .(Also going by the show's foreshadowing ) she will get there eventually.

Yes but the reason why she goes there is still in the air. Besides, she does not go there on dragonback and she reunites with her dead husband and neverborn child instead of a showing a hint about the Others.

Except the dream she had about fighting an icy army from dragonback. I agree the Others are the main part of the story, and if you think one of the main characters isn't going to be involved in that story line I think it's wishful thinking on your part, God forbid Jon would have to share some of the spotlight with Dany.

Nothing suggests that "Usurper's host armored in ice" are the Others. Jon dreamed himself armored in ice too. Maybe the Usurper in Dany's dream refers to Jon and the northmen following him. Maybe Dany will come north to fight Jon. Arya is one of the main characters too and I don't think she will participate in the Others storyline. I also think Tyrion will be long dead before the final showdown with the Others. Everyone has heir own story. The War against the Others is upon Jon and Bran since the beginning. 5 books passed and there is no single narrative investment relating Dany to the war against the Others.

Archived