Who do you think will be the 13 POV characters at the start of WINDS?

Liaraeyne

We have no idea what "makes sense" because we have no idea what (if anything) still needs to be found out about the Others between now and the final volume, or where the 6 main characters will be at the time.

George said that we will learn more about the Others.

George said that we will learn more about the Others.

Okay. But if you're trying to disagree with me about something, or prove something, based on that premise, I don't know what that is. You need to connect the dots.

The threads are going to come together. We don't know where any of the main characters will be, when we find out more about the Others.

GRRM has said there will be 13 POVs at the start of WINDS (note, he may change his mind). Who do you think the 13 POV characters will be in WINDS?

These are the first 8 confirmed characters:

1. Aeron Greyjoy

2. Sansa Stark

3. Arya Stark

4. Arianne Martell

5. Theon Greyjoy

6. Barristan Selmy

7. Tyrion Lannister

8. Victarion Greyjoy

Who do you think the remaining 5 characters will be and why?

My thoughts:

9. Daenerys (GRRM has said he was writing about the Dothraki, it’s likely it will be from Dany’s perspective, also I doubt he won’t resolve Dany’s cliffhanger in all of WINDS

10. Jon Snow (GRRM has hinted in interviews that he is still alive)

11. Bran (GRRM said on his blog that there is a chance that we will see Bran in WINDS, this will most likely be through his own POV)

12. Samwell Tarly (he’s a the citadel and will learn a lot of cool stuff, I think)

13. Davos Seaworth (he will search for Rickon Stark. GRRM said he had some cool stuff for Osha, we will most likely see that through Davos’ POV).

However it bothers me that I have no one at Kings' Landing. I hope Tyene or Nymeria will have a POV.

What do you guys think :)

Great guesses, the only thing that I would change is the Bran POV... I think that we will see Bran through Jon's POV & possibly through Theon's POV (though not directly)...

The people who keep insisting that there are only 2 books left are crazy!!!

So ... no Bran? No Jon Snow? & No Davos?

I predict that he'll want to keep Bran's perspective a mystery for the first half of Winds. I think we'll be getting Melisandre's POV at the Wall until Jon re-enters the story later on. Davos' story line is very unpredictable for me but I just don't see it being a necessary POV at the beginning of Winds. The five I listed seem like they will be having important things happening right at the beginning of the book.

Great guesses, the only thing that I would change is the Bran POV... I think that we will see Bran through Jon's POV & possibly through Theon's POV (though not directly)...

I also agree with the OP's list for the most part. But the one I would change is Samwell (who I think is already dead) who I would exchange for Cersei (who will continue to observe the horrors of her own downfall).

I expect the OP is correct we'll see Bran. He's one of the main 6.

In no particular order:

Jon

Bran

Ayra

Victarion

Sam

Sansa

Mel

Davos

(f)aegon or Aegon

Tyrion

Theon

Arianne

Dany

Didn't Martin say something about the book opening with a huge battle? I am guessing Mareen since I presume Martin wants to get the boat moving on her return to Westeros. If that is the case, I would imagine several pov's in, and around, Mareen to begin with, then perhaps a jump to the north?

I find your lack of faith for JonCon's chapters disturbing.

:D I carry the torch for the fab JonC!

A PoV character who was close to Rhaelusive, is delightfully snarky & stepping into the scene as the madness unfolds in KL - No, we're not going to lose him. Barristan carries similar, historic value + Tyrion knows his history but Ser knows his kings.

I agree that the number is likely an approximation. Ship Sam, Areo and Cersei into ADoS (players, not concerned with the winter). Converge Jaime & Brienne. Lose Vic and Asha early on. Jon late in the book, once a few PoV heads had been taken.

13 seems a bit on the lesser side of things.

Which are the PoV's that are expendable given the way the story is planning out?

1. I'd say Asha is the most expendable one at this stage. Theon is back and he can be the eyes in the Stannis camp.

2. Is there need for both Jaime and Brienne? One is definitely needed but given that they will be together I'd say one of them is expendable. probably Brienne.

3. Davos? I love him as a PoV and his DwD chapters were excellent but I don't think he needs to have one. My guess is the next appearance he makes will be with a PoV character (Either Theon, Jon or Mel) and relating his escapades in Skagos.

The Confirmed one's:

1. Arianne
2. Barristan
3. Aeron
4. Victarion
5. Theon
6. Arya
7. Sansa
8. Tyrion

If I hadn't seen the samples, I'd have said having all 3 PoV's of Tyrion/Barristan/Victarion would have been unnecessary but they already have 5 between them...

PoV's that will likely be in the book but haven't been confirmed:

9. Dany

10. Bran

11. Jaime

You need a PoV at the wall. Given GRRM has given such a low estate I'm assuming Jon will have a PoV fairly early on and thus negating the need for Melisandre.

12. Jon

That leaves the following 3 PoV's who I was quite certain would have a chapter. If GRRM is precise with his number only one of them should have a PoV.

JonCon

Sam

Areo

Both Areo and Sam have storylines which are quite isolated from the rest of Westeros so unlike Davos I'm not seeing how they can be merged with another PoV. Areo's plot doesn't seem all that relevant but the Sam storyline appears to be quite important and even had a prologue dedicated to it. Hard to see JonCon not having a PoV as Aegon becomes more and more relevant in Westeros.

I've rambled on but the way I see it you need at least 15 PoV's to tell the story.

Areo's plot doesn't seem all that relevant but the Sam storyline appears to be quite important and even had a prologue dedicated to it. Hard to see JonCon not having a PoV as Aegon becomes more and more relevant in Westeros.

Arianne is a confirmed POV and she is about to meet Aegon. So I fail to the the continued need for a JonCon POV.

As for Sam, the prologue foreshadows the ending. In the prologue, Pate meets a faceless man who lures him to his death. In the final chapter, Sam meets a faceless man who lures him to an isolated location. I'd say that's curtains for Sam. It all must be leading somewhere, of course. But as the chapter ends, the cabal that seems about to murder Sam (and probably HAS murdered Sam) is also about to take ship and go elsewhere ... at least according to Marwyn. In short, whatever all this is leading up to, it will end up taking place elsewhere.

Can the "Dans le tome 1, l'histoire est racontée à travers sept points de vue différents. Dans le tome 6, il y en a treize, je crois. En tout cas, au début du livre. Mais, à la fin, le nombre diminue." quote mean that at the beginning there are 13 characters, as the story progresses some will die and will be replaced by some other characters but eventually the number is less than 13? Because if he means it as 13 characters and that's it, he can also count the prologue character, possibly the epilogue character and that leaves only three regular POVs (unless the epilogue character, if there is any epilogue, is a regular POV).

But let's say there are 5 characters that haven't been announced yet. My guess is:

- Cersei - we need someone to be present during the trials at King's Landing. It doesn't really have to be Cersei, and it may not be her if she's planning something huge which her POV chapters may spoil, but there definitely be someone.

- Brienne or Jaime - at least one of them (my guess is Jaime) has to have POV, so we know what happens when they arrive to Lady Stoneheart. Once again, it can be someone else (for example Thoros of Myr) but surely there will be someone.

- Davos - he might not appear until he arrives to Skaggos (or until he returns with Rickon) which will take some time but I think we will get someone telling this story. Alternatively, it might be Osha.

- Melisandre or Jon - in case Jon will spend some of his time unconscious, or if he dies, or if he becomes an Other or a wight or whatever, it probably will be narrated by someone and that might be Melisandre. If the story on the Wall starts with Jon waking up, he might be the POV instead.

- Sam - Sam was already leaft behind in ADWD, I don't think he will be missing from TWOT as well. I read in a thread that it was confirmed that we will see

Highgarden

and Sam seems to be the only character who can happen to be there.

Characters that might be POVs but they aren't necessary:

- JonCo - if Arianne goes to Storm's End and meets JonCo and fAegon, JonCo isn't really necessary, but if there is a character number 14, I hope and think that it will be either him or Bran (or Daenerys).

- Daenerys - there are already 3 POV characters in the Slaver's Bay (Barristan, Victarion, Tyrion). Although her story ended in a cliffhanger, I can definitely imagine her not appearing at all until the battle of Meereen is over. She might appear with the Dothraki serving her ot whatever and we might learn what happened through the eyes of Barristan and the other POVs. But I

- Asha - considering that there is Theon, he will serve as the camera in Stannis' camp and Asha isn't really necessary.

Then there is Bran of course. I think that it is possible that he won't appear at all in TWOW because honestly, I have no idea how his story will end. My guess is that he is becoming a tree and mastering his warging skills which will take some time. Considering that he is isolated from the rest of the world, he probably can't influence any events going on nor he can interact with other characters (but Bloodraven, Meera, Jojen, Hodor), I dare to say that he isn't necessary now. He might than appear at the beginning of ADOS and manifest his new powers.

Saying all this, I hope that GRRM will change his mind about such a tiny number of POV characters and will end at least 5 more characters, including some brand new POVs (preferably someone of the Tyrells).

Arianne is a confirmed POV and she is about to meet Aegon. So I fail to the the continued need for a JonCon POV.

As for Sam, the prologue foreshadows the ending. In the prologue, Pate meets a faceless man who lures him to his death. In the final chapter, Sam meets a faceless man who lures him to an isolated location. I'd say that's curtains for Sam. It all must be leading somewhere, of course. But as the chapter ends, the cabal that seems about to murder Sam (and probably HAS murdered Sam) is also about to take ship and go elsewhere ... at least according to Marwyn. In short, whatever all this is leading up to, it will end up taking place elsewhere.

That was my view but I hear GRRM has confirmed that the battle at Storm's End will be on page. That cannot happen without JonCon since we know as of Arianne 2 that she still hasn't joined Aegon.

I strongly disagree. I don't think Sam is dead and I;m practically certain he will have further part to play. What that is, I cannot guess since GRRM hasn't provided much on the Citadel stuff but there's lot more to come from that plotline and I don't see anny other PoV taking over that.

I also completely forgot about Cersie in my post. Unless Jaime makes his way back to KL pretty soon one would think she would be the PoV for the trial.

Archived