Who do you think will be the 13 POV characters at the start of WINDS?

Liaraeyne

I can't imagine a book without a strong Cersei presence.   We had a topic going about merging storylines that went on for months with some great contributions.    In there I learned all about glass candles and Bran's ability to narrate via his visions.  And he can get into other characters' dreams, so I'm thinking Bran will become the omniscient POV when required.    Realistically, who else can tell the battle of Winterfell from behind the walls if not Bran?   Sam may become a sort of overall reporter for the Reach and perhaps other locations with those handy glass candles.    As characters meet up it's completely possible for one to absorb the story for all the POV characters in his or her party.   We don't really know what's going on in Stannis' head and have plenty of coverage.    Do we need a Mel POV?  Brienne and Jamie, Asha and Theon in the same place at the same time?    We've already lost a certain POV character since Balticon--do we really need 3 Greyjoy POVs?   

Hopefully no more Bran POV, & if we have the Greyjoy's let it be either Theon or Asha, as their uncles are so boring. Likewise Dorne, though it would be nice to have one from Myrcella perspective, as I think she has been neglected, certainly since losing her ear. I must admit I always like POV from Cersei, Jamie, Arya, Sansa, Dany, Stannis, & Tyrian which usually cover most of what is going on, though some of the other characters can be interesting. It would be nice to have one from Osha or Davos if he finds them.

• 2 weeks later...

1. Arya

2. Sansa

3. Bran

4. Aeron

5. Victarion

6. Theon

7. Arianne

8. Barristan

9. Jaime/Brienne (whoever survives, one of them must die)

10. Cersei (we have to have KL)

11. Sam

12. Areo

13. Mel/Jon (more likely Mel)

14. Tyrion

15. Daenerys

So I have 15 in case if we merge Asha with Theon, JonCon with Arianne, Mel with Jon, exclude Davos and Brienne or Jaime die soon.

4 hours ago, dariopatke said:

1. Arya

2. Sansa

3. Bran

4. Aeron

5. Victarion

6. Theon

7. Arianne

8. Barristan

9. Jaime/Brienne (whoever survives, one of them must die)

10. Cersei (we have to have KL)

11. Sam

12. Areo

13. Mel/Jon (more likely Mel)

14. Tyrion

15. Daenerys

So I have 15 in case if we merge Asha with Theon, JonCon with Arianne, Mel with Jon, exclude Davos and Brienne or Jaime die soon.

Yea the numbers don't add up. This going to be one weird ass book. I wonder if he can really fit everyone in it.

• 5 weeks later...

More than likely, the POV count could condensed to 13 by the book's end, but it will certainly not contain just 13 altogether. Even with the possibility of merging POVs/plotlines, this is what we have at the beginning of Winds:

Sansa

Arya

Bran

Theon/Asha/Davos

Samwell

Cersei

Jaime/Brienne

Aeron

Victarion

Tyrion

Barristan

Dany

Jon (because you know he's coming back)

Melisandre (because we need a Wall POV until Jon comes back)

Arianne

Jon Connington (could be merged with Arianne, but it's implausible to keep the Aegon story off-page until Arianne shows up)

Some Dorne POV (likely Areo Hotah or Balon Swann)

That's still seventeen POVs just to kick off the start of the novel.

My take on it. I can’t see WoW covering only 13 POV’s unless

Aeron/Damphair (Balticon) is a prologue. Dead

Euron is covered in Sam’s POV

Vic is covered in Bary, Tyrion or Dany POV

My 13 are:

Bary

Davos – that Rickon/Manderly dilemma

Theon/Asha – Stannis’ battle and WF

Sansa aka Alyane – the Vale

Arianne – Jon Con and Aegon – Stormlands

Arya

Tyrion

Bran

Jaime/Brienne – Riverlands – one of them dies in the other’s POV

Cersei—KL

Dany

Sam – Oldtown, Citadel, Reach

Jon – the Wall, wildlings, wights & Others

Maybe an epilogue with Aero – Dorne.

There were16 POV’s in DwD. There were 12 in FfC. Combined there were at least 21 separate POV’s providing information to the story. I may have missed some. I mean supposedly FfC & DwD were running concurrently, yes? I’m unsure. I didn’t include prologue & epilogue in those numbers.

Tyrion, Dany, Jon, Bran,Quentyn,Davos, Theon, JonCon, Asha, Mel, Areo, Arya, Jaime, Cersei, Barry, Vic, Brienne, Sam, Sansa, Oakheart, Arianne. 21 different POV's in Feast & Dance combined.

How does one cut 21 POV’s to 13 unless some of the cliffhangers aren’t going too brought to conclusion until DoS? Maybe Martin is going to do another split like he did with Feast & Dance. I don’t really mind, I just would like to get the next installment.

8 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

My take on it. I can’t see WoW covering only 13 POV’s unless

Aeron/Damphair (Balticon) is a prologue. Dead

Euron is covered in Sam’s POV

Vic is covered in Bary, Tyrion or Dany POV

The prologue will be about Jeyne Westerling (though we don't know who the pov is). Victarion is already confirmed to have at least one pov chapter that George read at a couple of cons a few years back. There are already more than 13 confirmed pov characters, so there's no point trying to come up with a list that only has 13 any more.

On reddit some people found an image from 2014 when GRRM made a brief appearance on John Oliver's show of what he was writing back in June 2014 and it seems to show an Asha chapter. So up to now:

1.Sansa  

2.Arya

3.Tyrion

4.Theon

5.Cersei

6.Arianne

7.Areo

8.Asha

9.Aeron

10.Victarion

11.Barristan

are confirmed. I too don't see how 13 could work.

On 7/24/2016 at 8:55 PM, Fyn said:

The prologue will be about Jeyne Westerling (though we don't know who the pov is). Victarion is already confirmed to have at least one pov chapter that George read at a couple of cons a few years back. There are already more than 13 confirmed pov characters, so there's no point trying to come up with a list that only has 13 any more.

Unfortunately, I'm one of dem USA citizens who speak & read the bastard language. From what I gather this 13 POV stuff comes from a French interview that happened a few years ago.  I am not able to speak or read any language other than my own. Therefore I must take into consideration that foreign media does much the same as American media and much gets lost in translation. 

• 5 months later...

Is there anyone else who thinks Jon will not get any more POVs once he is resurrected. I think that would have a really nice effect, if we suddenly only saw him through other's POV.

Here are the thirteen POV characters I predict:

1. Cersei Lannister - our viewpoint in King's Landing

2. Arianne Martell - confirmed

3. Aeron Greyjoy - confirmed

4. Victarion Greyjoy - confirmed

5. Tyrion Lannister - confirmed

6. Barristan Selmy - confirmed

7. Daenerys Targaryen - Dothraki storyline

8. Sansa Stark - confirmed

9. Arya Stark - confirmed

10. Bran Stark - His storyline simply can't be told from any other POV

11. Melisandre - We need to see what happens at the wall

12. Theon - confirmed - storyline of Winterfell (I don't think he will die - they need him to annul the King's Moot)

13. Davos - part of Northern storyline

14. Samwell - Oldtown storyline

15. Jaime - BWB storyline

This means I dismissed JonCon (we can see him through Arianne); Brienne (we can see her through Jaime); Jon (he's dead and won't get any POVs); Areo (I can't really imagine many interesting things happening on their mission)

For the prologue, Sybell Spicer is actually a good guess.

By my count, we already have 13 confirmed POVs for Winds.  Listing all 20 by region, with the 13 confirmed in bold:

North:  Jon, Mel, Davos, Theon(1), Asha(2)

Essos:  Dany(3), Vic(4), Tyrion(5), Barristan(6), Arya(7)

Stormlands:  Arianne(8), JonCon(9)

Riverlands:  Brienne, Jaime

Vale:  Sansa(10)

King's Landing:  Cersei(11)

Dorne:  Hotah(12)

Oldtown:  Sam

Beyond the Wall: Bran

Narrow Sea:  Aeron(13)

I have JonCon confirmed because of a post he made on his blog in 2010 (Link).  The way I read that post, he confirmed that he would cover Arianne's meeting with Aegon both from her POV and JonCon's. 

The plotlines we don't have confirmed are The Wall (Jon/Mel), Skaagos (Davos), Stoneheart meeting (Brienne/Jaime) and Oldtown (Samwell).  I could easily see the fallout at the Wall not being covered until after the battle for the North is over, so I would not be surprised if there are not any Jon/Mel chapters until well into the book.  George loves giving his readers blue balls that way.  

There is also nothing urgent happening with Bran, Davos or Sam, so I could see those threads delayed until the middle of the book as well.  Brienne/Jaime meeting with Stoneheart seems more urgent though....

So I could see George keeping it down to 14 POVs in the early part of the book, the first couple hundred pages or so, by putting the Wall, Bran, Skaagos and Oldtown on the backburner.  He could actually keep to the 13 number if he ignored Brienne/Jaime too, but that seems unlikely to me.  

The prologue is supposed to have Jeyne Westerling in it but it may be someone else's point of view.

Edmure - he is in the same company as them and something is going to happen to that prisoner train.

Sam - Oldtown is about to be invaded by Iron Born

Dany - Cliffhanger from ADWD

Theon - The First Battle of Winterfell is about to begin

Asha - She is headed to the Wall as a prisoner of Stannis and will be parted from her brother Theon.

• 2 weeks later...

At the end of ADWD, there are 19 viewpoint characters alive (not counting Jon Snow):

• Bran Stark
  • Arya Stark
  • Sansa Stark
  • Tyrion Lannister
  • Cersei Lannister
  • Jaime Lannister
  • Daenerys Targaryen
  • Samwell Tarly
  • Davos Seaworth
  • Brienne of Tarth
  • Theon Greyjoy
  • Asha Greyjoy
  • Aeron Greyjoy
  • Victarion Greyjoy
  • Arianne Martell
  • Barristan Selmy
  • Jon Connington
  • Areo Hotah
  • Melisandre

The confirmed characters (from published or read chapters) are Theon, Arianne, Tyrion, Barristan, Victarion, Arya, Sansa and Aeron. IIRC, we have further evidence of Bran, Daenerys, Cersei and Asha. So, that gives us:

• Arya Stark
  • Sansa Stark
  • Tyrion Lannister
  • Theon Greyjoy
  • Aeron Greyjoy
  • Victarion Greyjoy
  • Arianne Martell
  • Barristan Selmy
  • Bran Stark
  • Daenerys Targaryen
  • Cersei Lannister
  • Asha Greyjoy

That leaves us with only one free spot, but we have all these characters still unaccounted for (by the way, Jon is dead at the start of the book, so he will not be among those 13, but he'll probably rejoin the cast somewhere down the line):

• Jaime Lannister
  • Brienne of Tarth
  • Samwell Tarly
  • Davos Seaworth
  • Jon Connington
  • Areo Hotah
  • Melisandre

How the hell is this supposed to work? Given that Jaime and Brienne are reunited, I can see Brienne being left out (I don't think she will die though); but there's no way we're not getting any Jaime chapter. Sam is in a crucial spot as well, with Sarella and Jaqen and Euron's imminent attack on Oldtown. I can't see how Davos' story is supposed to continue without us following him to Skagos. Areo Hotah has his own plotline going on now as well, and Melisandre is our only POV at the Wall. Jon Connington might be expendable since Arianne is apparently going to join up with him and Aegon. So, if we drop Brienne, JonCon and maybe Areo, that still leaves us with 16 or 17 POVs.

Maybe GRRM isn't counting the titled chapters as proper POVs? At the end of ADWD, Victarion switches from titled chapters to named chapters, so he might have a larger role in TWOW. Going by the preview chapters, the same is true for Arianne and Barristan. Melisandre has one named chapter to begin with. But Aeron's preview chapter is titled "The Forsaken". So, if we leave out Aeron, Asha (let's assume she stays titled), Connington and Hotah, we're left with

• Bran Stark
  • Arya Stark
  • Sansa Stark
  • Tyrion Lannister
  • Cersei Lannister
  • Jaime Lannister
  • Daenerys Targaryen
  • Samwell Tarly
  • Davos Seaworth
  • Theon Greyjoy
  • Victarion Greyjoy
  • Arianne Martell
  • Barristan Selmy
  • Melisandre

14 characters. Looks like we're getting closer, doesn't it.

Archived