Malazan: High House Shadow edition

AncalagonTheBlack

28 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Uh, that's pat, he's been giving away books in that fashion for...shit...6 years minimum? Probaly more around 8 or 9? Won a bet with GRRM and got to be guest killed in book five? It's not like some guy with one post wants us to send him bitcoins.

Ahh I see, sorry. Grown a bit skeptical of this forum. Too many people on here like that guy trying to convince us to read his Chinese web-anime-manga-hentai that I have grown rather untrustworthy of people offering stuff.

By the way, you know what character he was that got guest killed in ADWD? That's actually pretty interesting.

I haven't read Pat's blog for a while now, having gotten bored of his spoilerific reviews and his reactions to getting called out on them, but I can confirm that he's definitely on the level with his giveaways*, having won one for... Reaper's Gale I think it was? A few years ago. The book arrived as promised and no dragon shit came through my letterbox with it.

*And on the level with everything else really, I just don't see eye-to-eye with him on the spoilers thing.

Too many people on here like that guy trying to convince us to read his Chinese web-anime-manga-hentai 

I'd like to see that asshat get a GRRM style death. Or at least banned from the forum. 

As far as Malazan goes, I would like to return to  Genabackis and pick up with some of those characters again. Hell, even Kruppe. 

16 hours ago, Jerol said:

I'd like to see that asshat get a GRRM style death. Or at least banned from the forum. 

As far as Malazan goes, I would like to return to  Genabackis and pick up with some of those characters again. Hell, even Kruppe. 

It's been safe to return to Genabackis ever since the Mhybe was laid to rest. Worst arc ever.  Agree with Darth, Kruppe is awesome.

Oh god, the Mhybe. If there was ever a character of SE's that I wanted to have a prolonged painful death, it was the whining Mhybe. 

39 minutes ago, Jerol said:

Oh god, the Mhybe. If there was ever a character of SE's that I wanted to have a prolonged painful death, it was the whining Mhybe. 

Ironic really, given that's essentially why she was moaning.

What always amazes me on re-reads is how little of the book her PoV actually takes up. She's hardly in it but on the first read when you didn't want to skim any parts it seemed like fucking forever.

When you have Shield Anvil  Itkovian, you don't need the Mhybe and her tedious arc. Now, I'll be the first to admit Erikson has a number of mopey, emo characters, but the Mhybe is the worst. She honestly added nothing to MOI but a break from all of the interesting arcs. Erikson's most effective stressing of those themes you mentioned above of mercy and compassion is the short scene

Spoiler

with Karsa Orlong and Munug in The Crippled God.

That's coming, but not for a few years. Erikson has to finish off the Kharkanas Trilogy (which I suspect he'll do a lot faster than this second book) and then the next three books are set after the main series on Genabackis, focusing on Karsa Orlong and the Teblokai.

Have you read Orb Sceptre Throne? That picked up with some of the Genabackis story and characters from the main series.

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Andorion said:

Anybody else reading Fall of Light? 8 chapters in, quite fantastic so far

2/3 through. The first quarter was a grind but I got through that and now I'm "comfortably" in the zone of "I can't wait to get back to reading this".

Archived