Malazan: High House Shadow edition

AncalagonTheBlack

I am strangely completely unmoved by this one. Forge of Darkness was decent, but the long wait for this one (by Erikson standards) and the knowledge that Erikson has broken his "These'll be shorter and less prone to wangst!" promise already has made me put it on the backburner.

Annoyingly, as a Malazan superfan usually, I haven't properly started this yet despite having it for a week. Partly this is because of time issues and me not reading tree-slice books on my commute, but partly it's because I apparently remember book 1 less well than I thought and I'm struggling to get into it.
I'm told a few people found it awkward and it kicks on pretty soon, so a concerted effort today I'll make.

I've made a couple of attempts at trying Forge of Darkness but found style and dialogue to be impenetrably bad.

Excerpts I have read on Amazon of Fall of Light confirm the exact same impression. If anything the dialogue seems to have become worse. It's quite possible Erikson peaked with the Malazan series, if peaking is what you want to call it. I did not love Deadhouse Gates Memories of Ice, Midnight Tides like some do, but at least managed to finish those and rate them 7 stars out of 10.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Yeah it's supposed to be a trilogy, but who knows. Everything I've heard suggests its the best Malazan book from either author in years and years. Must order.

It's good, really good. And you get the feeling reading it, that it may take more than 3 books to tell the story. 

Enjoyed Forge of Darkness a lot, it has dense prose, is maudlin and not to everyone's taste but was very much of its own kind in fantasy fiction. Haven't admittedly bought Fall yet, waiting until I have more money, more time and a smaller to-read pile (admittedly, Bakker's Great Ordeal will not be having to endure the same wait, but that's a singular exception).

• 2 months later...

Depends what kind of reader you are I guess.  Generally I find I can slip back into stuff after an extended time.  Although in the case of Malazan I think a reread might suit me better. 

Speaking of which, I said I struggled a bit with Fall of Light, and that may be in large part due to not re-reading the first book, which I loved.  But at the same time, even though it wasn't a book I could exactly breeze through I still thought in some respects FoL featured some of Erikson's best writing in the series.     

Archived