Malazan: High House Shadow edition

AncalagonTheBlack

Two recent Erikson interviews:

http://www.thecrippledblog.com/2017/11/intervista-esclusiva-steven-erikson.html

My sense of how the Karsa novels will be written (at the moment) is that it will be a return to a more linear style, with possibly fewer POV’s than is my usual wont. This should make the books tighter and possibly quicker-paced. That said, I’ll know more once I start writing it.

We thought we had a deal with a tv production company (handshake agreement, contracts worked over for more than six months, signatures provided, awaiting completion from their end, and then it all crashed – and if you knew the production company, you might say it’s still crashing even as we speak).

I am under contract for three more Bauchelain and Korbal Broach novellas. The Search for Spark completes my contract with Tor Books for the Willful Child novels.

http://caballerodelarbolsonriente.blogspot.fi/2017/12/steven-erikson-no-hay-nada-para.html

To be honest, an encyclopedia is likely to appear well after the fact (with me and Ian either retired or dead!). It’s either that or someone steps up prepared to assemble and collate all our background notes, etc, and that in itself would be a monumental and probably thankless task!

You know why there’s no world map? For the longest time the hand-drawn version was too big to reasonably photocopy. I’ve got it at home, along with all the other maps. That said, the fan-created versions are pretty damned close, so kudus to them!

You recently announced that you are going to delay the third book of Kharkanas to start writing what will be a sequel trilogy of Malazan Book of the Fallen. We already know that Karsa Orlong, the most controversial character of the saga, will be his absolute protagonist. What can we expect from this new work? What can you tell us?
S. ERIKSON:  Well, for one, it’s a stylistic return to the early books of the Malazan Book of the Fallen. That style seems well-suited to Karsa and company, especially since the tale picks up five years after the events in The Crippled God. As for controversy, well, Karsa was always a handful and I don’t expect that to change.

In addition to the stories set in Malazan world, do you have ideas to develop another completely different fantastic saga, or do you consider that with this universe you have more than enough?
S. ERIKSON:  I have some thoughts on an SF series on a grander scale. That said, there’s no telling how much creative juice I’ll have left once the slate has been cleared.

There’s always the chance of adaptation. We got very close not long ago, and that would have been for the first three books (GotM, DHG and MoI) with a (new) storyline centering on Tavore running parallel to what’s in the books. Very workable.

42 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Heh, now I wonder what production company he means.

Hmm. When he first mentioned it I thought he meant Amazon, because it sounds like they had a whole swathe of fantasy series under option (Bakker, Erikson and were very close with Jordan) and then nuked them all when the LotR deal came along. That doesn't sound like it though.

They should definitely do the companion book. As long as they call it:

The World of Steve Lundin (Writing as Steven Erikson) and Ian Cameron Esslemont's The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Novels of the Malazan Empire, Path to Ascendancy and Kharkanas and Toblakai Trilogies.

• 2 months later...

Anyone have an idea about the second Korbal Broach and Bauchelain collection - Amazon US says it's out of print. 

On 06/01/2018 at 0:22 PM, Werthead said:

They should definitely do the companion book. As long as they call it:

The World of Steve Lundin (Writing as Steven Erikson) and Ian Cameron Esslemont's The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Novels of the Malazan Empire, Path to Ascendancy and Kharkanas and Toblakai Trilogies.

Going back to this idea, what do people think is the best thing to include in such a companion book? Make it more like the World of Ice and Fire with lots of history, tons of maps (natch) or maybe more D&D manual like, with big explanations of the magic system (bearing in mind SE and ICE likely don't have such detailed rules written down and may not want to explain such things)?

I would love such a book but trying to make sense of the magic system, like the Malazan timeline, is a pathway to madness. 

13 minutes ago, Jerol said:

I would love such a book but trying to make sense of the magic system, like the Malazan timeline, is a pathway to madness. 

The magic systems are the raw force of Chaos that exists between the dimensions which are given shape and form by sapient beings, thus creating the Elder Warrens and then the Holds, and then K'rul used dragons to shape the Holds into the lesser Warrens (the Paths) but got things a bit wrong so some people can use Chaos directly and the people of Lether can still use the Holds and the odd guy can use too many Warrens and blow himself up (hi Beak) or can accidentally use the Elder Warrens (hi Silk). You can also travel through them because they are conduits of magical energy but things set up homes inside them as well. 

And that's kind of it really. I think.

Well, what they should do is look at the recent Wheel of Time compendium and do THE EXACT OPPOSITE. :/

Yeah, I can safely say that that way is not the way to go, especially since it's just a Wiki in book form, just without the depth and inter-searching ability of a Wiki.

It probably should be more like The World of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time, just without shit artwork.

5 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

I'd love some sort of History/timeline like what Wizards did for Forgotten Realms before they blew it up.

While that would be interesting I'm not sure if this is the right time for it given that Esslemont is busy writing prequels that are filling in some of the key historical events. I'd rather find out the details about the founding of the Malazan Empire from his series rather than a world-building book.

52 minutes ago, williamjm said:

While that would be interesting I'm not sure if this is the right time for it given that Esslemont is busy writing prequels that are filling in some of the key historical events. I'd rather find out the details about the founding of the Malazan Empire from his series rather than a world-building book.

Yeah I'm not saying I want it RIGHT NOW, although I do want Esslemonts next book RIGHT NOW. :P

I actually think a Malazan world book should be light on the history element - which dominated the WoT and ASoIaF ones - for that very reason. ICE is doing the founding of the Empire and Erikson won't want to explain the Tiste Schism in full before Walk in Shadow can be published (years from now). So I think such a book would be more like a sourcebook, with lots of discussion of the world, cultures, religions and things going on "now" and being much lighter on the narrative history.

Entries on people and places, empires, races, gods and ascended, the warrens/holds, some of the weapons (Dragnipur :drool: ), organizations/groups/military units. As long as it has great maps and illustrations I'd be happy.

Archived