Winds of Winter Twist

So I'm sure most people have read the SSM about a character plot twist in winds of winter that will surely drive us all mad. GRRM has said the twist grew naturally out of the character so it has to be something deeply seeded in the narrative. Any thoughts on which character it might involve? Personally I was thinking either Tyrion or Jamie, the former due to him being Martin's favorite character, and the latter more based on who is ripe for a twist.

GRRM also said it was something the show can't do. That leads me to think it involves characters either dead in the show but alive in the books, or not included in the show.

The highest concentration of said characters is with Dany, specifically her Dothraki. Rakharo and Irri are dead on the show but alive in the books, Jhiqui and Jhogo appeared very little and haven't been seen at all since season 2, but are still important to Dany in the books. The Dothraki betraying Dany would be a shock and could be the betrayal for love if Rakharo and either Irri and Jhiqui get together and then one is taken as a hostage.

Alternatively also in Dany storyline and possible betrayal (possible spoiler)

The season 5 trailer strongly hinted that Grey Worm dies this season, another character alive in the books.

So I'm sure most people have read the SSM about a character plot twist in winds of winter that will surely drive us all mad. GRRM has said the twist grew naturally out of the character so it has to be something deeply seeded in the narrative. Any thoughts on which character it might involve? Personally I was thinking either Tyrion or Jamie, the former due to him being Martin's favorite character, and the latter more based on who is ripe for a twist.

Can you please point me to the source?

Can you please point me to the source?

In one intriguing new wrinkle, Martin says he just came up with a big, revealing twist on a long-time character that he never previously considered. “This is going to drive your readers crazy,” he teases, “but I love it. I’m still weighing whether to go that direction or not. It’s a great twist. It’s easy to do things that are shocking or unexpected, but they have to grow out of characters. They have to grow out of situations. Otherwise, it’s just being shocking for being shocking. But this is something that seems very organic and natural, and I could see how it would happen. And with the various three, four characters involved… it all makes sense. But it’s nothing I’ve ever thought of before. And it’s nothing they can do in the show, because the show has already—on this particular character—made a couple decisions that will preclude it, where in my case I have not made those decisions.”

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/04/03/george-rr-martin-winds-date

Martin basically said that the show was incapable of following his plot twist because they have already screwed it up.

I am assuming it has to be

**********************SPOILER****************************

Mance because he died in the season opener and died for real, not phoney like in the books.

That's the one I thought. I hope he makes up his mind soon.

If my theory is right then it would be a good twist, a logical twist if Rakharo does get together with one of the girls (we know they both like him from ADWD). It would also help Dany in realising that she was wrong regarding the prophecy, she's convinced the betrayal for love is someone's love for her, not someone's love for someone else.

GRRM also said it was something the show can't do. That leads me to think it involves characters either dead in the show but alive in the books, or not included in the show.

The highest concentration of said characters is with Dany, specifically her Dothraki. Rakharo and Irri are dead on the show but alive in the books, Jhiqui and Jhogo appeared very little and haven't been seen at all since season 2, but are still important to Dany in the books. The Dothraki betraying Dany would be a shock and could be the betrayal for love if Rakharo and either Irri and Jhiqui get together and then one is taken as a hostage.

Alternatively also in Dany storyline and possible betrayal (possible spoiler)

The season 5 trailer strongly hinted that Grey Worm dies this season, another character alive in the books.

Season 5 is taking some stuff from TWOW , that probably means that Grey worm is dying in TWOW.

Be funny if there's no twist and he's laughing at us going crazy trying to find the character.

My guess is Sam. He's a long term character, currently surrounded by other characters of significant importance. There's currently lots of ways his story could naturally go. Not too obvious about what's going to happen with his arc so it could be altered.

Lots of unexpected things that could grow out of the characters around him

(alleras, pate ;))

Lots of unexpected things that could grow out of the situations he's in.

Show can't do it because certain characters needed aren't there.

It may be too complicated :dunno:

So my guess is sam

Season 5 is taking some stuff from TWOW , that probably means that Grey worm is dying in TWOW.

If Grey Worm dies in S5 then it's not from TWOW, Dany's story, like Jon's, is one of them that has not caught the books yet, if GW dies it will be at the hands of the Sons Of The Harpy, which didn't happen in the books.

• 4 months later...

Archived