consequences of dany spilling blood in vaes dothrak ?

TheLightning Lord

She is not cursed - curses don't exist in-story.

E.g. kingslayers and kinslayers are accursed because everyone despises them, not because some divine bolt of retribution will strike them from the sky. In a similar note, literally nothing will happen to Dany because she spilled few drops of blood in Vaes Dothrak.

E.g. kingslayers and kinslayers are accursed because everyone despises them, not because some divine bolt of retribution will strike them from the sky. In a similar note, literally nothing will happen to Dany because she spilled few drops of blood in Vaes Dothrak.

I go by the idea that maggy the frog placed a curse on cersei when she started going on about all the crappy things that would happen to her.

I, personally, lean more towards the curses do exist in westeros side, but I think they come from people who use magic rather than the gods. As I'm not completely convinced that gods exist in westeros/essos/the known world.

Examples- Maggy the frog, bloodraven, melissandre, dosh khallen, the undying etc.

There are no magical curses.

Curses are superstittions who come true by coincidence or as self fulfilling prophecies: because those concerned feel guilty about what they did and behave accordingly, thus attracting misfortune by their own behaviour.

And Dany did not feel remorse because she had defended herself, so that scratch on Viserys' cheek will have no consequences. Otherwise anyone who cuts a finger at Vaes Dothrak preparing dinner would be cursed.

Martin's books are not about magical and superstitious beliefs but about the damage they do.

No, you can't spill blood in Vaes Dothrak. Literally. You can kill someone in ways that don't spill blood, it's not a truce zone.

It is know that all khals put aside any rivalries and/or past issues while in vaes dothrak. Drogo killing viserys who threatened the khaleesi and who held a sword/weapon (also forbidden IIRC) without dropping blood so I guess this was seen as being ok.

No rival khals fight/argue while hear but once they leave it's fair game so yes it is a natural truce zone where warring khalasars become friendly. It is known

Considering the Dothraki main weapons are swords and bows (which both draw blood) it seems like it would create a truce to me.

I agree, the reason for the "divine ban" on shedding blood in Vaes Dothrak most likely came about because the nature of the Dothraki would make it near impossible for them to meet there otherwise. Some Khal or another always has a grudge against someone else, or sees an opening to make a power grab, or maybe just thinks that "that fat bastard was looking at me wrong".

It's a (sad) fact that saying "because the gods say so" is often an easier way to get someone to accept something than trying to rationally explain it, particularly someone as inclined to violence as the Dothraki generally are.

My thought is that she did not kill him, so that might not be what they mean when they say don't spill a free man's blood.

Well Khal Drogo managed to kill Viserys without spilling his blood, so maybe it is the spilling of the blood which is illegal, not killing.

No she did spill his blood. When daenerys was giving viserys the dothraki clothes she had made for him, viserys laughed at the gifts and started of with his "I'm not a savage crap" and said next she'd want to braid his hair. Dany replied he had no right to a braid, cause he hadn't won any victories. Viserys started getting violent with her, calling daenerys a slut and saying her being pregnant won't stop the Dragon awakening. She grabbed the first thing she could, which was some metal belt and swung it at his face with all her strength. Which ended up cutting his face.

Well, if you take "spill blood" completely literally then yes. It seemed to me that the point of the 'law' was to prevent the various khalasars fighting in Vaes Dothrak. Not that Daenerys will be cursed for hitting Viserys.

Tell it to basically everyone who held Harrenhal.

I would believe there is some purpose in GRRM stating this rule about not spilling blood. If only becasue this rule is referred to on multiple occasions.
If at some point, Daenerys is spilling her brother's blood, it must have some bearing.

And GRRM put are 2 or 3 references to the spilled blood:

Blood ran down his cheek ...

He walked off, holding his torn face ...

Drops of his blood had spattered the beautiful sandsilk cloak.

So I don't know what it means. But it must mean something.

No you didnt you liar, you saw this on the Preston Jacobs "what you are missing 1.4" video released, not coincidentally, the day before you started this thread.... At least give Lord Preston credit where its due. geez.

if you look through some of my earlier posts and topics you'll see i've taken a lot of points from him to discuss here, but was informed anymore would be locked for some reason. (i guess preston jacobs is frowned upon here). also it's hardly a unique point, i would have bumped an old thread but my search function was disabled cos of high forum traffic

so.... **** you ;)

Archived