consequences of dany spilling blood in vaes dothrak ?

TheLightning Lord

so i reread the part where dany hits viserys and blood is shed in vaes dothrak where it is forbidden.

did anything come of this, any theories if this is significant ?

just wondering cos i heard someone say she is now cursed ?

I doubt it. Magic type crap is iffy in ASOIF and people talk about curses but it rarely comes to fruition, and if anyone can actually wield it, it wouldn't be the Dothraki.

I don't know if it's a curse or superstition so much as a taboo. Spilling blood in Vaes Dothrak seems to be a heinous crime under Dothraki law (one of the few things that is illegal in fact!) but not necessarily a crime against their religion or the like.

Compare kinslaying or breaches of guest right, the former of which isn't illegal per se but to which a curse is believed to attach, and the latter of which at least has been illegal at some point but is mostly a question of accursedness.

I doubt it matters. Apparently it's mostly a technicality anyway, since Drogo killing Viserys didn't seem to bother anyone. I'm no expert, but being drenched in liquid metal ought to cause plenty of bleeding, instantly cauterized though it might be.

Daenerys technically didn't spill blood though - Drogo did. And not long after he suffers from an infected wound, which was deadly in medieval times...

No she did spill his blood. When daenerys was giving viserys the dothraki clothes she had made for him, viserys laughed at the gifts and started of with his "I'm not a savage crap" and said next she'd want to braid his hair. Dany replied he had no right to a braid, cause he hadn't won any victories. Viserys started getting violent with her, calling daenerys a slut and saying her being pregnant won't stop the Dragon awakening. She grabbed the first thing she could, which was some metal belt and swung it at his face with all her strength. Which ended up cutting his face.

I doubt it matters. Apparently it's mostly a technicality anyway, since Drogo killing Viserys didn't seem to bother anyone. I'm no expert, but being drenched in liquid metal ought to cause plenty of bleeding, instantly cauterized though it might be.

Yeah, the blade in the tent hall and threatening a respected Khal seemed to be the bigger issue. So I doubt they'd get mad at a Khaleesi defending herself against an abusive brother.

I had just assumed that this did not count as spilling blood because no blood dripped on the sacred Vaes Dothrak ground. Killing seems okay as long as the blood doesn't spill on the ground - which is why Drogo chose the molten gold method. It seems similar to the Ironborn: drowning someone is okay because no blood is spilled.

Yeah, the blade in the tent hall and threatening a respected Khal seemed to be the bigger issue. So I doubt they'd get mad at a Khaleesi defending herself against an abusive brother.

Agreed.

If they have any issue with her it will be her not going to join the dosh khaalen after Drogo died. They'll forget about that pretty quickly when they see Drogon though. :D

I suspect it's more of a technicality than anything. A way to create a truce zone. Drawing a bit of blood by hitting your abusive brother doesn't really qualify as breaking any truce.

No, you can't spill blood in Vaes Dothrak. Literally. You can kill someone in ways that don't spill blood, it's not a truce zone.

I suspect it's more of a technicality than anything. A way to create a truce zone. Drawing a bit of blood by hitting your abusive brother doesn't really qualify as breaking any truce.

I think this is the right of it. It's a holy place for the Dothraki. They wouldn't want a bunch of khals or wannabe khals constantly challenging each other if they are in VD at the same time.

No, you can't spill blood in Vaes Dothrak. Literally. You can kill someone in ways that don't spill blood, it's not a truce zone.

Considering the Dothraki main weapons are swords and bows (which both draw blood) it seems like it would create a truce to me.

Archived