[BOOK SPOILERS] What your non-reader friends/family thought and their predictions

From my unsullied fiance:

*when LF is talking to Brienne about her service to Renly*

Him: "Who's Renly?"

Me: "Robert's brother..."

Him: "I thought that was the guy at the wall."

Me: "That's the other brother..."

Him: "I don't remember Renly."

Me: "Ya know, when Melisandre gave birth to the shadow baby and it killed him..."

Him: "Oh, the gay one!"

Me: *facepalm*

LMAO, can't really blame him though, it's the only thing D&D focused on.

My dad is super excited about the Mountain "recovering." He also loved Sam roasting Ser Alliser.

At the execution: "Way to go, piss off everyone. She's Westeros' most modern politician."

We usually don't watch it together, just because of distance, but when we do it isn't awkward.

Then again, I've been immune to awkwardness ever since my mom plopped down beside me during the Rome episode where Pullo and Gaia had violent angrysex. :blushing:

Well, my Unsullied mom felt really happy about Jon becoming Lord Commander (He's her favorite character) and she was also excited to see Jaqen come back. Didn't react to much to the Martells.

Oh, and she hates Daenerys. A lot. Ever since the first season. She was begging for Drogon to eat her.

How can some of you watch with your parentes?
I mean damn I would feel awkward as fuck with the raunchy sex scenes

You might be surprised. My mother is very sensitive with violence, gore and sex, but she really seems to enjoy the show and get into the characters and the conflicts.

How can some of you watch with your parentes?

I mean damn I would feel awkward as fuck with the raunchy sex scenes

That was never a big deal for me, my Unsullied sister and my Unsullied mother (my father doesn't watch much TV), I dunno, maybe that's a country or culture thing, it's simply no big deal here in Germany; though my mother really isn't sensitive with sex and nudity, but much with gore and violence.

My mother and sister watched all the leaks when I was not at home for a week, and then they told me a big mixture of pretty much everything they saw :/

But I remember my mother was really disappointed that Jon didn't accept Stannis' offer and became Lord of Winterfell.

Watched it with an unsullied friend, her question was "don't spoil it but why do they all hate Dany now, I thought she was good and they loved her"...oh how I laughed. I also got a "I thought the dragon was going to eat her" type comment. Overall utter shock that Dany is not the person they thought she would be early on.

LMAO, can't really blame him though, it's the only thing D&D focused on.

You mean there was more to Renly than his latent homosexuality and winning party-on personality? Cause that's pretty much book Renly too. Now if they'd included the scene of him laughing his ass off at Joffrey's ineptitude and naming of his sword that would have at least flavored him beyond his very whitewashed show self.

I wasn't sad to see show Renly go. I figured he'd have been as bad a king as Robert, perhaps worse since Robert was grudgingly in the Lannister's pocket but Renly jumped whole-heartedly into the Tyrells. Both are grasping schemer families who wanted their own pet king to dominate.

Renly was a fuedal edition of your classic empty-suit politician. Great smile, good sounding, totally vapid where it counts and in the pocket of ambitious upstarts.

It also doesn't help that show Loras is being cheapened. His love for Renly was quite touching, now it seems there are quite a few candles will do now that his sun has set,

My mom was pretty angry with Daenerys.

Usually she only speaks of her as the messiah and savior the show's cast her to be, but after tonight all she could talk about was the bad ruling and stupid choices she's making. She's taken quite the liking to Dario though.

My mom also fist pumped at Aemon putting his chip in for Jon and declared Brienne her new favorite character after that badass fighting scene.

My favorite of all her remarks though was about sansa. "That poor thing, Brienne could've actually helped her if it weren't for petyr. But then again, petyr's all she has, and why would she trust Brienne after he just got done dissing her? Perhaps being with petyr wont teach Sansa to survive, but instead teach her to be a villain."

That was never a big deal for me, my Unsullied sister and my Unsullied mother (my father doesn't watch much TV), I dunno, maybe that's a country or culture thing, it's simply no big deal here in Germany; though my mother really isn't sensitive with sex and nudity, but much with gore and violence.

My mother and sister watched all the leaks when I was not at home for a week, and then they told me a big mixture of pretty much everything they saw :/

But I remember my mother was really disappointed that Jon didn't accept Stannis' offer and became Lord of Winterfell.

It definitely is, every person who's told me they felt awkward around the sex scenes was American.

My friends, who have read through book 3 think this season sucks so far. I'm not surprised. As readers, but just not through all the books yet, they're used to GRRM's great writing. This season has been pretty weak so far. The deviations from the book material are making for typical, lazy TV.

Yeah my unsullied friends reacted similarly.

They didn´t understand why Dany didn´t give a trial to the "not-a-slave-guy".

They liked Drogons return though.

Brienne seems to grow on them and they liked the Tyrion-Varys-scene.

And one gasped at Stannis offering Jon the Stark-name.

This and the whole Lord-commander-vote probably was the most interesting thing for them. (And they aren´t really Jon-fans...)

I think these two episodes were mostly to reintroduce the plotlines. And they used this chance to throw in some backstory. But my friends were not as interested in this. I had the feeling they couldn´t connect the dots.

And none remembered how the Myrcella-plot went down. That was what they asked me about. When I retold Tyrions scheme, they still didn´t remember.

No wonder. It´s years ago for them...

From my unsullied fiance:

*when LF is talking to Brienne about her service to Renly*

Him: "Who's Renly?"

Me: "Robert's brother..."

Him: "I thought that was the guy at the wall."

Me: "That's the other brother..."

Him: "I don't remember Renly."

Me: "Ya know, when Melisandre gave birth to the shadow baby and it killed him..."

Him: "Oh, the gay one!"

Me: *facepalm*

lets be real, gay was showRenly's only defining characteristic

In hindsight, show Renly was a lot kinder and more respectful towards Brienne. He understood being different because he was the single non-warrior brother among the Baratheons and he overall came across as a lot kinder and in many way more good-willed than his book counterpart.

....Off course the showrunners MOSTLY focused on making him a gay stereotype too afraid to consummate his marriage to Margaery.

Did any unsullied viewers ask about the people on Arya's list? Every unsullied I watched with asked me who Meryn Trant was. And some asked about Walder Frey

My hubby had no idea who Meryn Trant was. I tried telling him he is the only KG we actually see and hear from, but still no clue so I had to point him out.

He love The Wall. And now understands why I complain about Dany. He still has no interest in my Sansa :( can't say I blame him though ShowSansa isn't as awesome as BookSansa

Archived