[BOOK SPOILERS] Discussing Sansa XIII - Ghosts of offers passed

You think Brienne might remember to inform Sansa her sister is alive... But, no... Stannis shadow was what they had to talk about.

Yes, this is one plot hole we can definitely nitpick about because revealing that Arya was alive would be a real game-changer for Sansa but since that never happened in the book, they've chosen not to have Brienne mention it and that just seems off, doesn't it.

I sure hope the writers have a good reason for that.

It's pretty obvious. If Brienne brought up Arya, she'd have to admit that Arya refused her help, which would naturally lead Sansa to wonder what it was about Brienne that had scared Arya off.

I had a big smile on my face during that scene

and not because I thought the scene was great

I was just happy that Brianna's A Feast for Crows storyline came to a very quick end lol

Same here! And I kinda like the, I don't know, symmetry of both Stark girls refusing Brienne's help. Poor girl can't catch a break

It's pretty obvious. If Brienne brought up Arya, she'd have to admit that Arya refused her help, which would naturally lead Sansa to wonder what it was about Brienne that had scared Arya off.

And this would be something that wouldnt be too good for LF to know if Brienne is thinking right, and Sansa probably wouldnt want him to know either

Sceptical as she should be line to Pod.

This. What on earth are they doing in a tavern???

Sansa trying beer of course... And informing general public that she was there... Like, if you are hiding, aren't inns the first place you actually don't go to?

No, there was never any effort to explain it.

This is the sort of thing that really drives me bonkers about this show, the little details. Because it would have been so, so easy to cover that base. Make a point that Tywin et al. won't let her near Sansa, have her lobbying Jaime to get her access, Jaime waffles on the whole situation, have Brienne shoot an anxious glance at Sansa at the wedding, and you're done. All that would take is a couple of lines of dialogue.

I was waiting for a Brienne and Sansa scene in 4x02. I mean, she had a scene with Cersei and Margarey. I was really disappointed when we didn't get any interaction between the two.

And this would be something that wouldnt be too good for LF to know if Brienne is thinking right, and Sansa probably wouldnt want him to know either

This is probably the best, most reasonable in-show explanation (though apparently LF knew Arya was alive as of s2, but this point has been ambiguous). I doubt however the writers thought that hard about why she wouldn't mention Arya, they probably just neglected it.

The weirdest part of this setup is that I initially approached Littlefinger's retorts as him lying, like he usually is, but seeing as he doesn't know about the shadow baby, he probably does think Brienne is some crazy liar who killed Renly herself. It would be the explanation that most appeals to his cynical personality.

I thought the scene with Brienne was reasonably well-handled. Sansa could have taken the line of reasoning regarding Brienne being at the wedding further, but I would guess that the show's writers didn't want to have her say "I know you arrived with Jaime Lannister. If you're some super-loyal servant of my mother, why were you in the capital for like a month and didn't ever come and see me?" That would call too much attention to a plot point for which the show never supplied any kind of explanation.

I've never been able to get past that. I get it's important for the overall story with Brienne but from a practical aspect wouldn't it make more sense if she simply said Renly was killed by an assassin instead of giving all her detractors ammo with 'it was a shadow monster that killed him, totally not me.'

Sansa trying beer of course... And informing general public that she was there... Like, if you are hiding, aren't inns the first place you actually don't go to?

She didn't nothing of the sort that was Brienne informing everyone that it was Sansa.

The weirdest part of this setup is that I initially approached Littlefinger's retorts as him lying, like he usually is, but seeing as he doesn't know about the shadow baby, he probably does think Brienne is some crazy liar who killed Renly herself. It would be the explanation that most appeals to his cynical personality.

I thought the scene with Brienne was reasonably well-handled. Sansa could have taken the line of reasoning regarding Brienne being at the wedding further, but I would guess that the show's writers didn't want to have her say "I know you arrived with Jaime Lannister. If you're some super-loyal servant of my mother, why were you in the capital for like a month and didn't ever come and see me?" That would call too much attention to a plot point for which the show never supplied any kind of explanation.

makes you question what the hell was catelyn stark thinking hatching this crazy plan. in restrospect robb really got screwed by the women. the women he married and his mother with her dumb move atleast if he had jamie then Tywin wouldn't have risked killing him.

I would be shocked if most of the people at that inn didn't see Brienne as a raving nutcase

This woman was talking about a shadow creature with the face of stannis lol

It's great she's dyed her hair, but other than that, there doesn't seem to be ANY effort to keep her identity a secret. So, what was the point?

I think it is very likely that that Inn is Littlefinger's, or else he bought the people running it. If all else fails, he might just kill the staff after he leaves. The only one he seems to be actively concerned with preventing from leaving was Brienne, probably because Brienne was the only one there who could force her way out. So bantying Sansa's name about in a little tavern probably isn't that big a deal so long no one with real power or strength sees.

Yes, this is one plot hole we can definitely nitpick about because revealing that Arya was alive would be a real game-changer for Sansa but since that never happened in the book, they've chosen not to have Brienne mention it and that just seems off, doesn't it.

Well, except Brienne would have been forced to say "umm, yeah, I found Arya and she didn't believe me or trust me either...in fact she preferred the Hound to me....but you really should trust me." I can see where Brienne decided to save that detail for later.

Archived