[BOOK SPOILERS] The Death of Ellaria Sand as we knew her

I could even understand her claiming for revenge somehow, but not by mutilating a child. As I said before, that is so Cersei-ish that it made me start to dislike her just by that first scene. AND SHE WAS A FAVORITE OF MINE LAST SEASON!! C'mon... The way she screamed when Oberyn was killed made my heart break because I felt her pain. Now, I just felt like slapping her face and telling her to get a grip.

Yes, that's just what the show needs, a Dornish version of Cersei, demanding that innocents suffer for Oberyn's death. Wouldn't it be new, and a bit different, to have a woman who is passionately mourning her paramour who does not lust for the blood of anyone remotely connected to his killer? Especially since the TV Sand Snakes are going to want vengeance; there could have been idealogical conflict among strong women - what a concept!

Well, I guess the moment they decided to cut off Griffs, Arianne had to go too. And they were left with the Myrcella plot so they didn't know how to tie it.

I'm really disappointed in that cut, more than the loss of Arianne who was definitely a great character in the book. The loss of the entire Griff / Aegon line is a bummer whether you believed he was a fake or not. It was just so well done I can't think why they wouldn't want to include it other than the outcome for Aegon in the books is not good and so therefore it's expendable. :(

I'm really disappointed in that cut, more than the loss of Arianne who was definitely a great character in the book. The loss of the entire Griff / Aegon line is a bummer whether you believed he was a fake or not. It was just so well done I can't think why they wouldn't want to include it other than the outcome for Aegon in the books is not good and so therefore it's expendable. :(

I'm still holding out hope Arianne will live. I just don't see a point in killing her. And I wish to see her ruling in Dorne. It just makes sense.

I'm still holding out hope Arianne will live. I just don't see a point in killing her. And I wish to see her ruling in Dorne. It just makes sense.

Well the angle they're using in the show, playing up Ellaria and the Sand Snakes as a pack of vengeful women leads me to think the Dorne end-story is either nothing at all like the show in the book or it's nothing like we expected. Either way - bummer there too. Oberyn was vengeful too but they didn't overdo it and he played the game by the books. Ellaria wanting to mutilate Mycella was just ugly and now show fans will hate her.

Honestly, I don't grief Griff (heh) being uncast any longer.

Seeing how many boarders here are seeing their favourite characters and places being butchered as though the Mountain is making the scripts makes me feel grateful Connington won't be there to be a mess like Loras.

Of course, it pains me because I would have loved to see Kevin McKidd as Jon (McKidd has been born to play that role) but D&D won't make him justice and it would be a waste.

:agree:

I also think it is strange she is saying she wants to mutilate Myrcella why I think she should know how Doran feels about hurting children after what happened to his nephew and niece.

Or isnt Myrcella a child anymore in the show? All those changed ages are so complicated!

Myrcella looks to be between 14 and 16; not a child, but certainly a young girl. At the time that Oberyn jumped at the chance to fight the Mountain and ended up killed by him, Myrcella was strolling through the Water Gardens in Dorne, having nothing to do with Oberyn's death, or the deaths of Elia Martell and her children. To see a woman who was brave enough to be rational in the aftermath of her lover's death in the books, to advocate the cessation of Martell/Lannister hostilities in order to preserve her children's future, reduced to another vengeance-maddened woman hungering for the blood of anyone remotely connected to those who harmed various Martells, is sad. One Cersei is enough.

Seeing how many boarders here are seeing their favourite characters and places being butchered as though the Mountain is making the scripts makes me feel grateful Connington won't be there to be a mess like Loras.

Of course, it pains me because I would have loved to see Kevin McKidd as Jon (McKidd has been born to play that role) but D&D won't make him justice and it would be a waste.

Fair enough. Having him cut preserves his integrity from the books and he's a really great character, I can see why you like him. That actor would have been great in the role, you're right. I keep holding out hope maybe they're just changing the timeline for the Griff / Aegon story arc. I so badly wanted to meet all of the really cool characters who rode down the river with Tyrion on that barge - especially Septa Lemore! Bummer. :(

PS: Sorry to hijack topic - let me say in summary, I wish they'd played up other things in Dorne to make the viewers sympathize with it more than just revenge for Oberyn's death which wasn't anything like the reason Oberyn wanted revenge in the first place. His vengeance was based on the horrific wrongful rape and murder of his sister and her children. Ellaria's vengeance is based on her lover being killed in a trial by combat duel - albeit very gruesomely - it was done as fairly as the law states and he volunteered for it. It just makes her character seem petty and exaggerated now.

we need some cool houses in the show guys. right now all we got are starks who is the family everyone roots for. we hate lannisters, freys, boltons, baratheons are nutty with stannis and lets burn everyone alive motto, who else oh yeah highgarden are not properly represented other than queen of thorns rest of them are clowns. i really want to root for dorne they are a house of warriors why can't they be like oberyn take revenge without being an evil SOB, oberyn just hit the right punch he didn't hate tyrion or even joffrey for what was Tywin's sin. Dornish are cool I would hate for some of the fun characters to turn into one dimensional revenge seeking sociopaths.

It's interesting that Varys states that they are still going to Volantis. I'm still holding out hope, not necessarily because I want G and YG to be caricaturized by the show, but because I don't want the show spoiling the importance and relevance of those characters (or lack of) considering their position thus far in the books.

More than likely, however, it'll likely just be where Tyrion meets Jorah.

My strongest casting vibes have always been:

Eccleston or Strong as Stannis

Dance as Tywin

McKidd as JonCon

Theresa Palmer as Dany

Robbie Coltrane as Manderly

...and Paul Bettany as young Tywin if they ever go there.

Also the actor playing Benjen looks almost exactly as I pictured Ned pre-Bean casting.

Dance as Tywin

McKidd as JonCon

Theresa Palmer as Dany

Also the actor playing Benjen looks almost exactly as I pictured Ned pre-Bean casting.

Evanna Lynch would be Dany for me. She's not only pretty but she has a innocent vibe around her. She's also a nerd: she would beat D&D with the books until they get Dany right. :dunno:

Joseph Mawle is the Starkiest of the Starks.

Who is this side bitch bastard, just a glorified whore to be talking to the Prince of Dorne that way? Implying she may overthrow his rule just to get revenge? I can kind of understand Arianne's scheming getting a pass from Doran because it's his daughter but why would he put up with Ellaria's bullshit?

Ellaria also screamed when Oberyn died in the books. Anyone would have. That doesn't mean she became a monster that wants to kill children.

I liked the change.

This shows that they are acting emotional and hot-blooded, not thinking about the consequences.

As proper Dornes should.

She's not a monster, she's hurting and wants to hurt Cersei.

I liked the change.

This shows that they are acting emotional and hot-blooded, not thinking about the consequences.

As proper Dornes should.

She's not a monster, she's hurting and wants to hurt Cersei.

She wants to hurt Cersei by hurting her innocent child. I don't see how is this NOT being a monster. If she wants to get even, why not killing Jaime, her lover? :dunno: It would make more sense.

Also, apparently, neither Oberyn or Doran are "proper" Dornish because none of them wanted innocent children being killed.

She wants to hurt Cersei by hurting her innocent child. I don't see how is this NOT being a monster. If she wants to get even, why not killing Jaime, her lover? :dunno: It would make more sense.

Also, apparently, neither Oberyn or Doran are "proper" Dornish because none of them wanted innocent children being killed.

I think if we judged everyone who did something irrationale because of a loved one being murdered, then we would have a very very large list of numbers. Cat, I reminded you, murdered Walder Frey's wife. I see no difference.

It's unjustified and wrong but comparing her to Cersei is a bit much I think.

I think in real-life, we have people who say things they'd never normally do like, "kill everyone in X country" or whatnot.

Dance as Tywin

McKidd as JonCon

Theresa Palmer as Dany

Yes to those except Saoirse Ronan as Dany and Bettany as Bloodraven

Careful there, your spoiler panties might be showing. Jaime hasn't gotten to Dorne yet, so how would Ellaria know he was there to exact revenge by killing him? She only knows she has Myrcella and they've already sent her necklace wrapped around a snake statue to send the message that she's in danger - so the stage is already set. I'm assuming Ellaria sent that necklace and if Doran knew, he'd be pretty pissed off, as he should be ... it's antagonizing. If you got that necklace in the mail, wouldn't you want to rush off and save your child?! Of course they fell for the bait.

Careful there, your spoiler panties might be showing. Jaime hasn't gotten to Dorne yet, so how would Ellaria know he was there to exact revenge by killing him? She only knows she has Myrcella and they've already sent her necklace wrapped around a snake statue to send the message that she's in danger - so the stage is already set. I'm assuming Ellaria sent that necklace and if Doran knew, he'd be pretty pissed off, as he should be ... it's antagonizing. If you got that necklace in the mail, wouldn't you want to rush off and save your child?! Of course they fell for the bait.

My basic point is Ellaria is emotional and grief is confusing her thoughts.

Also, she hasn't done anything YET.

But there's a reason we discriminate between first and second degree murder.

:lol:

Lotta pissin and moaning going on up in here.

"Worst change by far" gimme a break! Who cares, the story isn't about the sand snakes and Ellaria Sand. The story isn't about Dorne. They're trying to show that Dorne wants vengeance for Oberyn. Ellaria is a familiar face with a right to have a grudge. Who better to introduce this side of Dorne then someone the viewers are familiar with?

Archived