[BOOK SPOILERS] So Jaqen H'ghar...

I may be in the minority here, but I am really ok with this change to the story. I was jumping up and down cheering when they revealed who the old man really was - totally took me off guard since obviously that's totally different from the books. This is one spoiler no one saw coming!

I liked it, too

Good decision. And they re-introduced him really well: "A man is not Jaqen H'gar". Likely that Pate and Oldtown is cut, but not confirmed IMO.

Disappointed with the House of Black and White introduction in general though. What was with kicking her out and then letting her back in? Lazy storytelling.

The Kindly Man needed some time to chat up his colleagues inside.

"So there's this girl outside asking for a Jaqen H'ghar. Any of you guys know this bloke?"

"Hm, no, not really. Let's check our archives."

and then they went down into that face chamber trying on faces until they found the right one.

It was a time consuming process.

Obviously, the KM felt bad about having made Arya wait that long, so he went to great lengths to retrieve the coin from the ocean floor in order to make up for it.

It was a time consuming process.
Obviously, the KM felt bad about having made Arya wait that long, so he went to great lengths to retrieve the coin from the ocean floor in order to make up for it.

I'm more inclined to think that this is the first step of deliberate discouragement that the Faceless Men impose on the potential recruits. In the books they list all sorts of promises they can fulfill if Arya just chooses to live a normal life. I expect that they wanted to see if she'd break down or start begging, in which case she would be unworthy, but she stayed and only left when she needed food, showing pragmatism along with her determination. In other words, it's all a test.

EDIT: This was my first post here? I could have sworn I've posted here a few years ago...

Ah - so you think it's really the kindly man using the "Jaqen" face, and not the other way around? Color me confused. I thought they decided to drop the "Kindly Man" persona altogether and just have Jaqen take over that role to streamline things and give the non-book reader audience a familiar face they consider a BAMF from seasons past.

Well ... even in the books both Jaqen and The Kindly Man are 'No One' or any other FM.

A man is an actor - and he just has to abide with what the script writers have put in place for him :fencing:

Still, a fan who is impressed enough by the character of a man and how an actor portrays him to choose him for his forum avatar is obviously very happy to see an actor cast yet again as what may - or may not - be the same man :cool4:

I'm guessing the Pate storyline is out. I doubt it is that important.

Given that it opened and closed AFFC, that would be a little disappointing.

I'm trying not to assume too much about what is and isn't "important" to the endgame of the books based on what D&D choose to include...not sure I trust them to correctly discern that...

I may be in the minority here, but I am really ok with this change to the story. I was jumping up and down cheering when they revealed who the old man really was - totally took me off guard since obviously that's totally different from the books. This is one spoiler no one saw coming!

Well, I kind of saw it coming because the actor's name was listed in the intro :P I don't think they should have put it there, it gave away a good twist.

I think the refusal was definitely a test of Arya's determination.

I agree, but I wonder why they let her in. I mean, if the requirement for passing was that she spend the night outside THOBAW, why didn't they let her in sooner? Instead, she left and is picked up later. Kind of weird.

It's going to be interesting to see how they handle one of the most important parts of being a Faceless Man in changing their face after every mission in order to never get recognised or tracked down. Realistically we would never see this 'Jaqen' face again or at least it wouldn't be used for a very long time. But the actor is great and viewers need a familiar face to help ease into this story.

What is going to happen with Maisie Williams though? She's phenominal as Arya, but the whole point of this storyline is Arya becoming a no-one, face included. It would be such a shame to lose Maisie, but at the same time it doesn't make much sense for Arya to continue to be played by Maisie soon.

Archived