[Book Spoilers] The Road To Volantis... The Road To Mereen

Well if Aegon is alive then Varys don't seem to be aware since he otherwise already disinherited him from his claim.

They spent showtime discussing what happens to those who are not cured or dead of greyscale so we might expect that Tyrion is attacked on the road if not on the raft

I'm hoping that in Volantis we still get the scene when Penny shows up and tries to avenge her brother by Killing Tyrion then accompanies them all to Mereen. The show really set this up with the scene in which Cersei is presented with a dwarf head so I think there is a good chance that this could still be included although I know nothing about casting.

As for Aegon, I still believe that it could happen but I do not think that he will show up in Volantis. I do like the theory that he could show up in Dorne but we haven't seen enough of them to know how that would happen yet.

call me mad, but I have the feeling that in Volantis Tyrion will have to face Talisa's parents, very pissed off with the Lannisters because of the RW

We all will be mad if this is the case. If there is no Lady Stoneheart to avenge the Freys of the Red Wedding, then dont insult us by wasting any screen time to this farce

I'm hoping that in Volantis we still get the scene when Penny shows up and tries to avenge her brother by Killing Tyrion then accompanies them all to Mereen. The show really set this up with the scene in which Cersei is presented with a dwarf head so I think there is a good chance that this could still be included although I know nothing about casting.

As for Aegon, I still believe that it could happen but I do not think that he will show up in Volantis. I do like the theory that he could show up in Dorne but we haven't seen enough of them to know how that would happen yet.

There is no way for Penny to show up and it wouldn't make any sense either. She wasn't present at Joffrey's wedding and she probably doesn't even know how Tyrion looks like. And Penny is one of those characters I sincerely hope they were cut. She is both useless and annoying character

We all will be mad if this is the case. If there is no Lady Stoneheart to avenge the Freys of the Red Wedding, then dont insult us by wasting any screen time to this farce

I think it could still possibly happen we get Stoneheart - I'm not sure how much chasing after Sansa Brienne can really do. It feels like she'll ultimately fail there, and in the end that will give them an opportunity to work in Stoneheart if they desire. We have to see her fail and really doubt her purpose, hit rock bottum, or perhaps Stoneheart bottom.

But if they were to do that, they'd really need to start working in the hanging of Frey's.

That said, I could see some interesting changes coming up in Volantis, but I suspect they'll have Jorah and Tyrion meet up, return to Mereen, both are cast into the fighting pits, and then we have the Drogon return sequence. Varys will have to head to KL (the emphasis on Kevan makes me think the prologue from ADWD happens) - my guess is Jorah takes Tyrion by force after blaming Varys for hiring him to arrange Dany's assination in Season 1. Perhaps he'll threaten to kill Varys, but then Tyrion walks in and the Spider makes a trade.

There is no way for Penny to show up and it wouldn't make any sense either. She wasn't present at Joffrey's wedding and she probably doesn't even know how Tyrion looks like. And Penny is one of those characters I sincerely hope they were cut. She is both useless and annoying character

You make a valid point about her not being at the wedding, at least as far as we know (could have been off screen helping the other dwarfs with costumes etc...) But in the books I think she has a fairly important role in that she gives Tyrion someone else to care about. Right now he has basically given up on life. The innocence of Penny coupled with the death of her brother that has been indirectly caused by Tyrion gives him someone he wants to protect.

Do I think it will happen? Realistically no.

Do I want to see it happen, even briefly before Penny is killed by Jorah? (wouldn't that be something?) Absolutely I do. It would also show Tyrion the lengths Cersei is going to find him and adds fuel to the fire of their relationship.

Agreed. Jorah can't get him from the box on wheels, and Jorah isn't in Mereen anymore. So we need them to stop in a city for Jorah to kidnap Tyrion. Plus, showcasing Volantis is exciting! It's more world building. It even hints at Dany will make her way through Volantis on her way to Westeros.

I think it could still possibly happen we get Stoneheart - I'm not sure how much chasing after Sansa Brienne can really do. It feels like she'll ultimately fail there, and in the end that will give them an opportunity to work in Stoneheart if they desire. We have to see her fail and really doubt her purpose, hit rock bottum, or perhaps Stoneheart bottom.

Well, I remain hopefull that all the talk in the press was subterfuge. D&D could have just fessed up on that panel discussion unless they feared for their safe escape. Instead they censored the topic. I did not expect the epilouge scene to have been in the last season's finale like some. Big fail if the explaination for dropping sotry arc for major POV is that they dont have screen time for it

They're probably going to Volantis so Jorah can kidnap him there. The end.

Yeah, I think so, too. Initially, I thought Jorah would be cut from tv series at this point, but in one of the show previews, we see him in the fighting pit.

Sidenote: In the Tyrion scene last night, I kept expecting him to jump out of 'the box', since he's navigating purely by alcohol at this point, and run into trouble that way. Tyron is one of my favorite characters, but he sure is acting the resentful ingrate at this point (understandable, though, I guess, given everything he's been through). Varys did, after all, along with Jaime, save his neck.

On the subject of Penny, no offense to those who wish to see her, but . . . Please, D & D, spare me!!!

Edited to change "Various" to "Varys"

That whole conversation was very interesting, Varys saying that he's someone thinking from outside the box, "what's in the road to meereen" and the "another ruler" part.

It has given me new hope for Aegon without a doubt.

Either way I have one question on Varys. After Jorah kidnaps Tyrion, why would Varys go back to Westeros after saying that he wanta to meet Daenerys. If causing chaos in KL was the plan, why bother going with Tyrion in the first place.

What most would make sense however is Varys going to Volantis for a secret meeting with the Golden Company, and after Tyrion is kidnapped return to KL to help Aegon by killing the last chance of peace between the Tyrells and Lannisters.

I think Varys intended Tyrion to get captured by Jorah in show continuity, as he would know Jorah would take him to Meereen. Letting Varys go to other areas the writers want him to be, either Kings Landing, or Dorne. Im guessing Dorne.

Sadly, the whole trip up the river with Griff and Co. seems to be getting cut out entirely - no actors were cast for those roles. It was one of my favorite story lines in that book and the characters were richly described by GRRM. I enjoyed Tyrion's take on everyone from his POV including the political subplots and the intrigue about who Septa Lemore was. Griff and Young Griff were interesting and would have made great additions to the show - but if Aegon is not to be a final end-game player in the story, I can understand why they would cut it all out and fast forward Tyrion straight to Jorah or Meereen instead of the long journey up the river story. They can't afford to re-enact long detailed events like that which don't lead the main characters to their end-goal. It will have to be a fond memory from the book for me. :(

I can't see any other reason for D&D to have Tyrion and Varys to go to Volantis than for Jorah to kidnap Tyrion. I suppose also for the visuals, but seeing as there's no Griff & Co., Tyrion has to wander off in a brothel somewhere. What I'm wondering is what Varys' reaction to Tyrion's kidnapping will be. I know in the books that Griff just went off to the Golden Company like Tyrion had advised, but what will Varys do? The emphasis on Kevan seems to indicate that the ADwD epilogue is in, but what will Varys do for the other 5 or so episodes of the season? Sneak off to King's Landing and just wait in the rookery for winter to come?

Archived