[Book Spoilers] What now for Brienne?

This has been bugging me since I watched it last night, what is happening with Brienne's storyline and where is it going?

Show Brienne is running around trying to fulfil her duty to Catelyn, who is now dead so she is released from that vow anyway if she wanted a get-out. Regardless, she has now met both Arya and Sansa and been rejected by both. Arya is not out of her reach and Sansa is quite clear she wants to stay with LF.

With certain characters seemingly cut and Jamie going to Dorne, she can't possible follow the same arc as the book, so what does she do now?

Even if she goes after Sansa again (really, why would she?) and gets Sansa away from LF, what does she do with her? No WF, no point in returning her to the Eyrie, so what is she hoping to achieve?

To me the show has rendered her character meaningless. They are still giving her screen time so I assume D and D have a plan, I just can't see what it is.

My best guess is that she ends up at WF in the battle between Stannis and Ramsey, that leads me to her trying to take revenge on Stannis for killing Renly, but I just don't like that as a storyline.

Brienne and Pod came to the conclusion that Sansa is not safe with Littlefinger and she is going to follow and see what can be done. She must be careful as Roose remembers her. Do any of you remember "The Bear and the Maiden Fair"?

I think she will confront Stannis about Renly and in the end she will have to make a choice. I think in a way, she knows Stannis was in the Right, which he was to a great extent. I never liked Renly and his Gayness had nothing to do with it. He was a Tyrell pupet and a userper to boot. Brienne will help Sansa or die trying. Also, Sansa wants to escape Littlefinger if there is a safer and viable option but things are going to change.

To me the show has rendered her character meaningless. They are still giving her screen time so I assume D and D have a plan, I just can't see what it is.

To me its the opposite

rather than have her spend an entire season wondering around aimlessly looking for sansa like she does in a AFFC

she now can potentially take the role of Mance Rayder

How can she go undercover when Roose knows her well. This will get complicated yikes. Someone is going to look so stupid.

Brienne and Pod could rescue Sansa and Theon but Ramsay needs leverage to get them to attack like in the books he does to force Jon to do something stupid.

Jon is not going to do something stupid for anyone but Sansa.

Could the rescue party while they are escaping back to the wall, Stannis attacks and gets captured instead. Will Jon feel like he needs to rescue Stannis because Stannis rescued them, Jon is all honour he will definitely ride out to help Stannis to pay him back for him saving the nights watch.

Definitely Brienne and Stannis encounter could be very interesting. Stannis too bad burns people alive he is a douche and what he did to Reny was just evil, if you can justify that then you can justify the red wedding too afterall end goal minimum losses.

I'm guessing she'll be Mance with stammering Pod as her waherwomen, but I'm not clear on how she is going to get inside Winterfell to rescue Sansa as Jeyne as Arya without "Abel"'s musical talents or why LF would sell her to Ramsey.

I think Sansa will effectively become fArya and Brienne will be her Mance. Not sure how I feel about it but it keeps established actors actively involved with the plot.

How can she go undercover when Roose knows her well. This will get complicated yikes. Someone is going to look so stupid.

Though this is a good point. Perhaps its all going to end up different?

I think she will confront Stannis about Renly and in the end she will have to make a choice. I think in a way, she knows Stannis was in the Right, which he was to a great extent. I never liked Renly and his Gayness had nothing to do with it. He was a Tyrell pupet and a userper to boot. Brienne will help Sansa or die trying. Also, Sansa wants to escape Littlefinger if there is a safer and viable option but things are going to change.

Renly would have put an end to the Lannisters claim to the throne, if only Ned had made a different choice.

There are lots of problems with her taking Mance's role in WF, many revolving around her appearance, she is difficult to forget.

- Roose knows her from their meeting at Harrenhall

- Mance got into WF as a singer, which was fairly normal. Brienne has no such talents.

- Even if she did get into WF, her size and appearance would make her stand out like a sore thumb, especially if she turns up in her full armour with a valyrian sword.

Now it's been mentioned (and I didn't think of it before) the most likely direction is that she will rescue Sansa, probably escaping either during the siege of WF or hiding in the crypt.

You could've asked this same question in the book after Cat died. Like why bother trying to rescue Sansa from King's Landing? Why stick to the vow? She

sticking to her vow because that's what she swore to do.

I don't know about what they'll do. Kind of interesting actually. Maybe they'll have her play the Davos role and she goes after Rickon?

This is a wild guess... Not necessarily what I think is going to happen.

Gwendolyn Christie said in an interview that the script for the inn scene called for Sansa to give Brienne the slightest look of warning. That means Sansa knew she could not accept Brienne's offer of protection without endangering Brienne's life. Maybe, once Sansa becomes the Lady of Winterfell, as LF promised, she will be able to take her on there?

Archived