Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens ( Thread C-3PO )

Bluetiger

Before Disney threw out the entire EU, I liked the fan theory that Palpatine knew about the impending Vong invasion and took over the Republic because he saw no way it could stand against the invasion.

A strong army for the Empire combined with weapons like the Death Star designed to destroy world ships and the Sun Crusher to destroy entire systems that hand fallen would have let the galaxy stand much more effectively.

It all made a lot of sense and really added a layer of depth. Alas, none of that applies now.

At the time he was at least on a par with Vader. I think they changed their mind and upped Vaders rank in later films.

This is correct. Lucas really wanted a face of evil to be the one who blew up Aldaran, so he cast Peter F#@king Cushing who was one of the best villain actors of all time. He didn't change his mind about the role though, his emotional purpose was served, and he was killed in the Death Star. This allowed room for the Emperor to take on his duties in the following films.

Just a quick note of interjection here. I don't care if this next movie makes Episode one look like Casablanca. We as the fans have still won because we are able to have relevant Star Wars conversations right now. My inner geek has been in ecstasy all year.  

There were probably hundreds of innocents on the Death Star. It used to be canon that there were pubs and stuff like that aboard. Funny that Luke kills more people on-screen than Vader or the Emperor.

"But Luke! The Death Star! Their fighters! Hundreds will die."

[Luke shrugs] "Thousands."

Before Disney threw out the entire EU, I liked the fan theory that Palpatine knew about the impending Vong invasion and took over the Republic because he saw no way it could stand against the invasion.

A strong army for the Empire combined with weapons like the Death Star designed to destroy world ships and the Sun Crusher to destroy entire systems that hand fallen would have let the galaxy stand much more effectively.

It all made a lot of sense and really added a layer of depth. Alas, none of that applies now.

While I do like that angle with Palpatine (which is also the same approach they took in a lot of the KotoR series,) I really hated the Vong and all the assorted superweapons in the EU. It just got so silly and comic-like. No-one stayed dead and every month the Empire had a new terrifying weapon.

While ESB is brilliant, I think Joss did have a point when he criticized the ending.

Just a quick note of interjection here. I don't care if this next movie makes Episode one look like Casablanca. We as the fans have still won because we are able to have relevant Star Wars conversations right now. My inner geek has been in ecstasy all year.  

Amen. (Or more appropriately, So say we all!) I'm pumped, regardless of the outcome, it's going to be so much fun. I can't wait for SWC next year. For the first time ever there'll be a SWC right after one movie has been released and right before the next one!

I don't think Whedon and Abrams are the same person, though it could possibly explain a lot... (Have they ever been seen together in the same place?) 

Hellfire. Apologies. I did confuse the two them again.

But for the record, I do have a healthy dose of foreboding about Abrahms still...

Well. He was very careful to not say he thought the film was bad.

Just that he didn't like cliffhangers that you can't resolve till years later.

Sorry, my Josspologist cane or for a moment.

I for one think he's crazy for saying that, but opinions man. Everybody has em.

Hellfire. Apologies. I did confuse the two them again.

But for the record, I do have a healthy dose of foreboding about Abrahms still...

I'm more worried about Trevorrow after the debacle of Jurassic World. That might be the worst film I've ever seen.

I think Whedon's view comes from his history of having things cancelled on him. He has to wrap them up because he doesn't know if he'll get the next film. :P

He's correct in a critical sense though - the story starts without any unresolved plotlines, and ends with tons of them. :lol:

He's correct in a critical sense though - the story starts without any unresolved plotlines, and ends with tons of them. :lol:

And so? I acknowledge that it's better not to leave dozens of dangling plots, but if you're working with a specific sequel(s) in mind, so what if there are cliffhangers? Just do them right. If you fail to create an engaging story that bombs at the box office and results in the studio pulling the plug on the sequel, that's on the director and writer ultimately.

And so? I acknowledge that it's better not to leave dozens of dangling plots, but if you're working with a specific sequel(s) in mind, so what if there are cliffhangers? Just do them right. If you fail to create an engaging story that bombs at the box office and results in the studio pulling the plug on the sequel, that's on the director and writer ultimately.

Yeah, I agree. I don't have an issue with it, I just meant that he has a point in a technical sense.It's not good practice as a general rule, but in a designed trilogy, I don't see it as a big issue.

More big news out of Empire:

http://makingstarwars.net/2015/08/empire-clarifies-what-snoke-is-and-the-first-orders-origins/

[spoiler]“Kylo Ren is not a Sith,” confirms JJ Abrams in the new issue of Empire. “He works under Supreme Leader Snoke, who is a powerful figure on the Dark Side of the Force.”

He is a powerful figure on the Dark Side of the Force. Even more interesting:

“That all came out of conversations about what would have happened if the Nazis all went to Argentina but then started working together again?’” Abrams reveals. “What could be born of that? Could The First Order exist as a group that actually admired The Empire? Could the work of The Empire be seen as unfulfilled? And could Vader be a martyr? Could there be a need to see through what didn’t get done?”[/spoiler]

More big news out of Empire:

http://makingstarwars.net/2015/08/empire-clarifies-what-snoke-is-and-the-first-orders-origins/

[spoiler]“Kylo Ren is not a Sith,” confirms JJ Abrams in the new issue of Empire. “He works under Supreme Leader Snoke, who is a powerful figure on the Dark Side of the Force.”

He is a powerful figure on the Dark Side of the Force. Even more interesting:

“That all came out of conversations about what would have happened if the Nazis all went to Argentina but then started working together again?’” Abrams reveals. “What could be born of that? Could The First Order exist as a group that actually admired The Empire? Could the work of The Empire be seen as unfulfilled? And could Vader be a martyr? Could there be a need to see through what didn’t get done?”[/spoiler]

When discussing plot points in a movie before its release, I give Abrams absolutely zero credibility. Even though this news probably starts off being true, I doubt it will be so by the end of the movie.

When discussing plot points in a movie before its release, I give Abrams absolutely zero credibility. Even though this news probably starts off being true, I doubt it will be so by the end of the movie.

Most of what I'm hearing matches with the leaks that have been building up over time, and with Making Star Wars' synopsis of the entire movie from a few months back, so I'm inclined to give it some credit, although with some grains of salt, too.

Archived