Is it Stannis duty to please that booty?

He lived there for 15 years! Stop drinking Stannis' Cool Aid and try seeing it from someone else's perspective. If the government kicks you out of your house after 15 years through the use of Eminent Domain law, it's legal but that still hurts. And at any rate, he was still willing to leave, just not without Edric.

He flat out says Brienne did not do it. He is openly suspicious of Stannis. So yes, he clearly honestly thought Stannis was behind his brother's murder. And he is right!

And? If you work at a place for 15 years, does that make the workplace your home? If the governmen hires me to look after a house and fires me after I have been caught stealing, refused the offer to return the money, I sure as hell have nothing to cry over. Penrose supported a rebel, he lost, he did not get over it.

He flat out refuses to believe it. So? He refused to beleive that she could do it, and yet the others there know her just as well and are perfectly fine with what the dying man said - Brienne is the killer. Being right about Brienne is not the same as jumping to fearing the plot of ASOS, it's hindsight. Leaving the question of Stannis' knowledge of Mel's plan for Renly, Penrose has no idea about the shadow.

But even if thinks it's Stannis, how the hell does he go from there to wanting to kill Edric? Renly was the rebel, Edric is the proof of Stannis' claim. What reason does Stannis have to want to harm him? Penrose does not know of the Others, AAR, and the ASOS plot. Nor does Stannis have a reason to kill his only living proof. The only reason to assume that is that Stannis wants to kill his own family for the evulz. Why would that be a reasonable assumption? On what planet is that a reasonable assumption? Give me 1 thing Stannis gets from that, aside from ASOS where Mel's version is that it literally the only way to save all mankind?

The whole "fearing Stannis" falls apart the instant he offers to bend to the Lannisters. They have already killed all the bastards they could find. Bending to them is killing Edric. So cut the shit. There is no logical reason to fear for Edric's life at that point, and definatly not from Stannis.

Stannis could have taken Storm's End in a single bloody day... after a few weeks preparations. Building the necessary siege engines, tunnelling etc. Storm'End is a fantasy scaled fortress with higher walls than anything in the real world, you don't take it with ropes and ladders.

But Stannis did not have the time to prepare for such an assault which gave Penrose some minimal leverage. Without the shadowbaby solution, he'd likely have been forced to agree to let Edric go with Penrose.

Stannis had been preparing for over a month by that point, he has everything he needs. The rider to Renly took a couple of weeks, Renly took a couple of weeks to get to Storm's End. Penrose had 2 weeks to consider the offer. That's about a month and a half. By the time Catelyn comes with Renly, Stannis had already cut all the trees around and had made siege engines, catapault, etc. Hell, he made the preparations for Deepwood on the go.

Without the shadow Stannis would take casualties, but he would have the castle, he would have Edric, and Penrose and whoever survives would end up hanged by the end of the day. Trying to rational Penrose' demand is just not going to happen. He had zero leverage.

The whole "fearing Stannis" falls apart the instant he offers to bend to the Lannisters. They have already killed all the bastards they could find. Bending to them is killing Edric. So cut the shit. There is no logical reason to fear for Edric's life at that point, and definatly not from Stannis.

I find it hard to believe that any news of that has spread outside King's Landing, and probably not even within it. Very few of Robert's bastards are common knowledge: only the game-players in King's Landing really have any idea. Ned and Jon Arryn were as close to Bob as anyone, and they needed LF and Stannis to introduce them to Gendry. Gendry himself has no idea who his father is. The guards sent to kill Bob's children didn't know the significance of their targets.

Which is, of course, the whole point. If everyone knew that Bob had so many bastards they might start wondering for themselves why they looked nothing like their "legitimate" half-siblings.

The only two of Robert's bastards who are common knowledge are Edric and, more locally, Mya. And they're both fine. There is reason to be suspicious of Cersei and Joff, but for Joff to kill his half-brother is rather different than cutting Ned's head off; the taboo against kinslaying applies as much as anything else. Stannis on the other hand has made it pretty clear his intention is to kill Robert's children in King's Landing, and has very possibly just killed his brother. There's reason to believe that it would be better to hand Edric over to pretty much anyone but him.

I would suspect that Penrose would prefer that it be the northerners who come to liberate him rather than the Lannisters. But "Anyone But Stannis" is a reasonable line for him to take at this point as regards Edric, I think.

• 2 weeks later...

Oho, then he should be REALLY excited to meet Ramsay on the battlefield!

I don't normally go in for fan service, but I'd love to see that fight, I think. Mainly because I am very optimistic that, unless grievously wounded, Stannis would beat the piss out of Ramsay, but it'd just be a cool moment.

But as much as the idea of Theon or a Stark killing Ramsay appeals to most, I'd prefer it narratively, if someone like RIchard Horpe carved him up like a turkey.

I know this has little to do with Penrose or Stanstans vs the world, but those debates are boring.

• 7 months later...

Archived