Did you like the kindly man casting?

robasp2

The kindly man was too old. He is shown walking with difficulty with a wooden stick to support him.

He was short.

Then the camera pans & poof Jaquen.

Who is taller, stands up erect and ahem (Does not look african anymore)

Shouldn't faceless men change their faces? And not their whole body?

So what did the show imply? The old Jacquen made it back to braavos and hid & disguised as the kindly man?

The Kindly Man is no-one and anyone. That is all.

I noticed that he was wearing sandals which exposed his feet and ankles...it would have been easier to overlook had his robe touched the ground, covering his feet, but that observation was not enough to take me out of the game. It's about them (the faceless men) being magical in the end, isn't it?

In the book its not Jacquen.

In the show since he transforms into jacquen, they should have cast a taller well built kindly man.

The feet were visible.

His height and width suddenly increased.

His sound changed.

His mannerisms changed.

I think I remember Jacquens sound did not change after he changed a face in Season 3.

But their majic is only limited to their face.

It's not known if it is Jaquen or not. As in, the individual that Arya makes a friendship with in Harrenhal.

Based on the actor's interviews, it IS Jaquen in the show. And while that doens't make sense, it's a change I'm fine with, He killed it as the character, he's TV friendly, they had great chemistry, and if the kindly man's only role is to train Arya, then no big deal, and it's hardly the worst of the show's plot holes, LOL.

Would've liked it better if he had stayed the KM instead of turning into fangirl chum.

If not that, then have dialogue that shows he's not the same guy Arya met, but a different guy wearing the same face.

Changes Arya's dynamic for me.

It's like you take a picture, and then have 10 master wordsmiths describe what's in the picture.

Then have 10 master artists who have not seen the picture, read the wordsmith's descriptions and try and paint/draw that picture.

Those 10 drawings/paintings will probably be really good, but none of them will have certain details from the original, and all of them will have a different "feel".

Changed my Arya "feel" is what it does. Creates a bigger separation between Book and Show universes. Felt way more helpless, lonesome, uncertain, and scared for Book Arya.

Show Arya found an old friend and that took away a chunk from me. Less concern.

The Faceless Men magic probably works differently in the show and books. In the books, it has something to do with physical masks. In the show, it might be more like a glamor.

Dany's magic also seems to work differently in the show and books. In the books, she was only fireproof for the dragon-hatching scene, but in the show, she has repeatedly been shown to be heat resistant, and the show never contradicted her claim "He was no dragon. Fire cannot kill a dragon" about Viserys' death.

Actually most of the magic works a little differently in the show, and many things that were magical in the books are non-magical in the show. I don't think it is a big deal since the magic is so mysterious in both mediums.

The Faceless Men magic probably works differently in the show and books. In the books, it has something to do with physical masks. In the show, it might be more like a glamor.

Dany's magic also seems to work differently in the show and books. In the books, she was only fireproof for the dragon-hatching scene, but in the show, she has repeatedly been shown to be heat resistant, and the show never contradicted her claim "He was no dragon. Fire cannot kill a dragon" about Viserys' death.

Actually most of the magic works a little differently in the show, and many things that were magical in the books are non-magical in the show. I don't think it is a big deal since the magic is so mysterious in both mediums.

I have not read the books so can't compare.

Yet to a normal show viewer it seems quite stupidand weird, the transistion.

If you look closely you can see him peeling his face and neck. Instead his physical form itself changes.

In my humble opinion,The scene felt so stupid because of a badly cast kindly man.

It is the same man.

Because Arya never mentioned her name yet he says "Arya starks clothes, Arya starks sword"

For clarity, I was referring to the book, but regardless, it is not known, though we all have ideas. I personally think it is in the book, and it probably will be in the show.

• 4 weeks later...

Casting Jaqen as the Kindly Man is one of the very few changes for this season that I actively like.

This. Though I might feel differently if Jaqen's shenanigans in

Oldtown

turn out to be fun in WoW. But I guess the show could have two Jaqens if they ever adapt that storyline. I mean, there's no such thing as too much Jaqen :p

Archived