AGOT Reread- Arya

Barba

Here are the weeks with Arya Chapter:

Oct. 9- Arya(I) Bran(II) Tyrion(I)

Nov. 13- Arya(II) Daenerys(III) Bran(IV)

Dec. 4- Tyrion(IV) Arya(III) Eddard(VIII)

Jan. 15- Eddard(XIV) Arya(IV) Sansa(IV)

Feb. 19- Daenerys(VIII) Arya(V) Bran(VII)

Arya (I)

Introduced: Septa Mordane* (tutor to Sansa and Arya);

Ser Rodrik Cassel* (Master-at-Arms of Winterfell, later Castellan of Winterfell, uncle of Jory Cassel);

Beth Cassel (Ser Rodrik’s young daughter, currently a captive at the Dreadfort);

Jeyne Poole (daughter of Lord Vayon Poole, possibly posing as Arya Stark and betrothed to Ramsay Bolton);

Lew*, Donnis* (Winterfell men-at-arms [?]).

Arya’s needlework is terrible, and embarrasses both Septa Mordane and Sansa in front of Princess Myrcella. Arya runs away in anger, and finds Jon on a parapet watching the sparring in the yard. Jon and Arya resemble Lord Eddard, while the other children all have the hair and coloring of the Tullys. Bran and Prince Tommen finish sparring, and then Prince Joffrey challenges Robb to a fight with real steel swords. Ser Rodrik will not permit it, drawing criticism from the Hound, whose face was terribly burned in a fire. Joff mocks Robb, and Theon has to hold Robb back from going after Joff.

I noticed to a greater degree that there are two major "threads" in this Arya chapter.

For one, it establishes the comparison between Sansa and Arya, Eddard Stark's daughters. Sansa is portrayed in a moderately positive light; although she comes off as a little bit snotty, overall she appears to have good social graces (i.e. socially adept), and is the perfect 'lady', in Arya's eyes. Sansa, as we find out, can play all kinds of musical instruments, can sing and dance, write poetry, and the like. Whereas Arya's only skills in which she is superior are horseback-riding and 'figures' (meaning numbers and management).

Second, Arya's chapter also centers strongly around Arya's relationship with Jon (as well as providing one of the most detailed chapters about Jon that is not from his POV). We find out, for example, that Arya is extremely close to Jon; when she was little, and worried about being a bastard because of her 'Stark look', she went to Jon to find comfort, and Jon comforted her. This helps cast Jon in a more sympathetic light; although Arya was frightened about being a bastard, like Jon, Jon still comforted her and told her that she was true-born.

For example, when Arya is watching both Jon and Robb, the way she observes them both responding to Joffrey's insult to the honor of their father's house seems to match what Bran observed of the comparison between Robb and Jon's characters. Robb, for example, comes across as a bit prickly in terms of his pride, with a temper; he almost comes to blows with Joff after Joff's insult. Jon, in contrast, simply goes completely quiet and cold. Also, we get a current of resentment from Jon towards his bastard status, with frequent comments from him about how "life is not fair."

Aside from this, we know that Arya is the odd-one out among the Stark children. Sansa and her friends do not really like her; the steward's daughter calls her 'Arya Horseface.' This actually does seem to bother her; she comes across in this chapter as being envious of Sansa, at least until where she's talking with Jon.

I enjoyed Arya's POV because she is the fumble-fingered one in a world that wants its ladies to be to just like Sansa. Sansa is like many little girls who fall in love with the idea of love and not the person. Joffrey is a horible, spoiled person. Jon sees it - Joffrey's pouty lips and the distainful way he looked around WInterfell's great hall at the welcome feast.

How terrible to be the daughter born after Sansa. Everything she does is going to be compared to Sansa. Naturally, Arya is going to carve aout her own niche. She's our little feminist. I hope she grows up to be as lovely as and luckier than Lyanna.

It will be interesting to compare her with Brienne. Sansa thinks she is unlovely -- but she is not.

It would have been interesting to see Joff battle Robb with steel. We know what happened with the famous Lion's Tooth incident. Joffrey can't be much of a swordsman, for all his swaggering.

I like the fact that GRRM leaves her dressing down by her mother and Septa Mordane to the imagination.

1. Impressions, now and then.

Don't really recall what I thought about this chapter initially. Upon rereading it, Arya doesn't do much for me as this chapter really doesn't have alot in it. One thing I am noticing though is that alot of the characters have some sort of childhood hero they always look up to. For Arya it would be Nymeria apparantly. Anyway, this chapter is mostly character introductions, nothing of any importance seems to happen. Arya and Sansa are contrasted, Arya is portrayed as the tom boy type, while Sansa comes off across as very genteel. We get some descriptions of the rest of the stark kids as well. Also get some interactions between Jon and Arya. While Sansa and Arya are opposites, Jon and Arya seem to have alot in common. Lastly we get some insights into Joffery's character.

2. Foreshadowing, quotes, etc.

Arya reflects three different times that her life is not fair. Could be a hint of the rough times to come for her character. There is that quote by Jon "...you had best get back to your room, the longer you hid, the sterner the penance. You'll be sewing all through winter. When the spring thaw comes, they will find your with a needle still locked tight between your frozen fingers." That quote has been mentioned before as a possible hint to Arya's outcome. Finally, when Jon leaves Nymeria tries to follow, but Arya can't join them. Which is sort of what happens in the books, she keeps wanting to find her family, but events keep pushing her away.

3. Who was the Nymeria that Arya named her wolf for? Do we ever get any more info on her later in the series? I seem to recall her being mentioned several times.

3. Who was the Nymeria that Arya named her wolf for? Do we ever get any more info on her later in the series? I seem to recall her being mentioned several times.

From the AGOT Appendix in House Martell:

Nymeria, the warrior queen of the Rhoyne, brought her ten thousand ships to land in Dorne, the southernmost of the Seven Kingdoms, and took Lord Mors Martell to husband. With her help, he vanquished his rivals to rule all Dorne. The Rhoynar influence remains strong. Thus Dornish rulers style themselves “Prince†rather than “King.†Under Dornish law, lands and titles pass to the eldest child, not the eldest male.

After she landed, she burned ships to show her people that there was no going back

Other that that, I don't know

EDIT:

When I was first reading this chapter, I thought Arya will be some sort of warrior woman (like Brienne). It was not far from truth. Even in first book she is developing herself that way.Now: Arya is left handed. Perhaps Septa didn't notice that, or didn't know how to teach her how to do the stitches with her left hand. Syrio noticed this from the beginning. Arya also reminds so much of Lyanna, at least in what we kow of her

In the beginning of the chapter we see that Arya is different from sansa. We learn that Sansa is better at stitches, Singing, Playing music... (girl stuff), but Arya is better at riding horses and sums (and Swordfight-Men stuff). I noticed at first that Arya didn't accept herself, and that she wants to be like Sansa, and hang around with other girls. only after they throw her out, she is in denial and thinks: i don't need them. After all, if she didn't care- she wouldn't cry.

We also notice that Arya is close to Jon (and Nym). Arya thinks that world is not fair to her, and I think that is what got them so close. She even thought that she was a bastard because of that.

I also noticed that when she ic looking at the Joff, she says: No doubt, needlework was exquisit. It made me laught. But when Joff comments this, He says: Royal stag is not enough for him. That shows how little Robb knows about him. He is a little piece of shit, but his father is a drunk, and he has no connection with his father. His mother OTOH is very connected to hih, and very Lannister. Joff's Arms are something you could expect from the situation he is in.

When Jon says: "Women get Arms, Bastards get swords" sounds ironic for two things: Bastards arms have inverted colors. In that case Jon's arms would be: White Direwolf on grey. Possibly direwolf could have red eyes. Second: Arya after first book has sword, but not arms.

Also, Then Theon is holding Jon back, I got the impression that Robb, although he has look of Tully, is Stark. I think George said that Brandon (Ned's brother) was true stark with wild temper. Robb and Rickon seem like true Starks to me

Also: Clegane said that he killed a man when he was 12. Do we know who it was

Catelyn mentioned in her first section that "that Lannister woman is our queen, and her pride is said to grow every year." I think Joffrey wearing the Lannister Arms along with the Baratheon is perhaps an example of what she was talking about.

Catelyn mentioned in her first section that "that Lannister woman is our queen, and her pride is said to grow every year." I think Joffrey wearing the Lannister Arms along with the Baratheon is perhaps an example of what she was talking about.

Excellent point. Doesn't someone mention that one set of arms is not enough for Joffrey. What a miserable cur he is. I'm sure Cersei persuaded him to wear the double coat of arms.

Excellent point. Doesn't someone mention that one set of arms is not enough for Joffrey. What a miserable cur he is. I'm sure Cersei persuaded him to wear the double coat of arms.

IIRC it was Jon that pointed it out when speaking to Arya while watching the sparring. He also mentions something along the lines of it making the mothers house equal to the fathers. I concur, that is something Cersei would most definetly be responsible for. A way to slight her husband and make herself more important. (In her eyes of course).

Reading this thread has made me wish I hadn't loaned out my AGOT. Its been awhile since I've read it.

Been a while since I read this chapter all the way through.

I liked Arya from the beginning. That hasn't changed.

Sansa, as seen through Arya's eyes, doesn't come off very well. Her "soft and precise" correction that Jon is their half-brother is very cold.

I'd forgotten about Arya's tears.

I like the fact that Ghost nips Nymeria in the same manner that Jon musses Arya's hair.

I also find it interesting that in Jon's dealings with his younger siblings (Bran and Arya) he projects calmness, cool, and a wisdom beyond his years. In his own chapters, we see that, well, in a lot of ways, he really is just 14 years old.

Arya's comment about combining her mother's and father's coats of arms - a wolf with a fish in its mouth - turns out to be foreshadowing. The Tullys' alliance with the Starks leads to the destruction of their house.

Another excellent point. The wolf eating the fish.

Speaking of Cersei, did anybody notice that in the chapter, Joffrey is described as being surrouned almost solely by Lannister men? Where are the Baratheon men, and why aren't they accompanying Robert's son? We talk about how Cersei has been setting her house equal to Robert's; it's seems more like she's not only done that, but has also taken strong steps to edge out House Baratheon's influence (no doubt possible by the apathy of Robert towards his son).

I like the fact that Ghost nips Nymeria in the same manner that Jon musses Arya's hair.

Has anyone else noticed the hierarchy in the direwolf siblings? For all of Shaggydog's ferocity, he gives way to Summer. And Ghost seems to have authority over Nymeria. Wonder who the pack leader would be if they all, please Gods, be brought together again. (Except for poor Lady and Grey Wind, of course. :cry: )

And yeah, Guardsman Bass, I noticed that too about the Lannister men surrounding Joff. Didn't draw the inference, though. Good catch.

(Edited to clean up my random thoughts!)

Arya's comment about combining her mother's and father's coats of arms - a wolf with a fish in its mouth - turns out to be foreshadowing. The Tullys' alliance with the Starks leads to the destruction of their house.

As well as mirroring the scene of Nymeria pulling the dead Catelyn out of the river.

As well as mirroring the scene of Nymeria pulling the dead Catelyn out of the river.

Nice one, but IIRC from the so spoke martin section, I think he said that in the beginning he planned for Cat to simply die on the Red Wedding, and changed his mind later. Can someone confirm this?

Yes. It's in one of Arya's later POVs in SoS. She's with Sandor Clegane after they've left the scene of the RW. She falls asleep thinking about her mother and dreams a wolf dream where she's obviously warged into Nymeria. The wolves are eating the bodies in the river, and she's hungry, but she "knew she could not eat." Nymeria finds what's obviously Catelyn's body and tries to rouse her by shaking her arm in her jaws. Tiring, it's all she can do to pull the body to shore. She drives off some of her pack so they won't eat the body.

Nymeria actually thinks "Rise and eat and run with us." - very clearly this is Arya inhabiting her direwolf.

Men approach, probably some of the BwB, and she leaves.

It's not until after this warg dream that Arya finally accepts her mother's death. Up until this point she's trying to get back to the scene of the RW.

Nice one, but IIRC from the so spoke martin section, I think he said that in the beginning he planned for Cat to simply die on the Red Wedding, and changed his mind later. Can someone confirm this?

Oh, I doubt that he put the "wolf with a fish in its mouth" in there as foreshadowing. More likely, he put it in there as part of the dialogue, then when writing ASoS, looked back, and thought, "Hmmmm . .. ."

It's interesting that Martin gives us Arya's point of view of the sister's relationship first. Every time I have read this chapter, I have had a negative reaction to Sansa, and several other posters have mentioned the same thing. But, looking at it closely, Sansa really does nothing wrong. She's described as proper and ladylike and all that here, and her actions follows.

Arya is clearly very jealous of Sansa in a Jan Brady vs. Marsha Brady kind of way. Arya is slightly paranoid here, and projects some of her own insecure thoughts about herself onto Sansa. When Septa Mordane looks at Arya needlework, she gives her a rather gentle scolding, "This will not do. This will not do at all." Arya completely overreacts to it, thinking it is some sort of major humiliation. She sees Jeyne smirking, and projects that Sansa was also secretly laughing at her, too. But I don't recall every seeing Sansa laugh at Arya. She's frequently embarassed by her little sister, but I don't think she ever tries to humiliate her.

Also interesting was the Hounds statement that he killed a man when he was twelve. It's implied that this is his first kill, although it does not say that specifically. There are numerous comparisons between Arya and the Hound throughout the series, and here is one of them. Arya, of course, is younger when she first kills a man - age nine or ten.

Archived