A quick question regarding Tyrion and an incident that took place in Winterfell....

abandonship

Hi all,

Newbie here! So I'm not sure whether this has been asked or whether I am over thinking things, but why do the direwolves seem to react so violently to Tyrion? It happens in one of Brans POV chapters, Tryion has just come back from the NW and is there to give Bran his "present" from Jon. Fast forward to Rickon bursting in to the hall with Shaggy Dog, Grey Wind and Summer and all of a sudden, they are in attack mode. Could this be because they are already predisposed to hate the Lannisters? or could it be because of something else? I also dont see how Tyrion was in any way a threat to any of the Stark boys, and even Robb is surprised by the direwolves reaction. So is it just direwolves being direwolves?

Who knows? It's never really elaborated upon, and so we readers are left to ponder the meaning behind that on our own. Perhaps the direwolves percieve that Tyrion will become a future threat? Perhaps they percieve his Lannisters family as a threat and Tyrion smells like them? Perhaps they percieve Tyrion as a far more evil character than the readers do? Perhaps there's some other reason? You simply have to think up a reason on your own.

The direwolves can sense what the Stark children feel. If they believe someone is a threat or they are wary of them, the DW feel the same, but in this case, being animals, they react as though they feel a direct threat and attack.

Bran and Rickon were definitely in a stressed situation. The DW felt that. Robb was simply in "alert more". Their pets just felt the stress.

Archived