Avengers 2: The SPOILER thread (warning: spoilers NOT in tags)

denstorebog

Oh, and I almost forgot. We consider men shirtless scenes sign of equality now? Hmmm, interesting perspective... Well, if we can't have female superhero movies, we should have tight suits and abs. Oh, the equality...

Well, yeah prettymuch. If you want to make a movie with plenty of eye candy, including both men and women reduces the overall male-gaze impact of it, and instead reminds us that this movie is meant to be fun, with explosions, beautiful people in tight shirts, etc.

My complaint about cleavage shots was that they were mistimed and distracting from the story they're trying to tell.

Well, yeah prettymuch. If you want to make a movie with plenty of eye candy, including both men and women reduces the overall male-gaze impact of it, and instead reminds us that this movie is meant to be fun, with explosions, beautiful people in tight shirts, etc.

My complaint about cleavage shots was that they were mistimed and distracting from the story they're trying to tell.

Hmmm... No, I guess you are right. Thing is that as the concept, it is not that terrible. In some way, it is the equality. Not the one I would prefer, but nonetheless, it is. After all, women do go to theaters. Hollywood forgets that sometimes.

I'm confused. "Mistimed" implies there's somehow a wrong time for cleavage in a film starring Scarlet Johansen. That's just not true. Even when it's wrong it's right.

Archived