Eligible Works for Hugo Worldcon 2016 - Deadline 31st March!

TannerSack

I gotta finish my nominations today. I spent hours last night looking stuff up and filling in blanks. I figure the more slots "real" readers fill in, the less influence VD will have. I'm still expecting to see lots of Rabid choices on the nomination lists, but I'm doing what I can to work against him!

It's good to fill slots, but it's worth saying it's not absolutely necessary. If people want to nominate only two or three in a category - heck, even if they only want to nominate one novel or one film - they can and should do so. The more the merrier, but get those nominations in!

Whew. Finally finished my nomination lists. Took forever!

You know, a good few of VD's "suggestions" this year were actually quite reasonable -- and some would be pretty inevitable to get nominated with or without his input, like Seveneves. I wonder how he plans to spin things this year -- both for those noms of his that win and those that don't?

I'm guessing that the tactic is either to use those nominations to claim victory in defeat: 'look, see how many of my nominations made the list!'. Or, more unpleasantly, to use them as a way of bashing Hugo voters as hypocrites - 'they say they're against slates but they'll vote for certain stuff on my slate!'

Either way, my standard advice on the Rabid Puppies' antics applies: ignore it. Do what you would have done anyway. It doesn't deserve attention.

You're probably right about ignoring it. I didn't, though. I didn't nominate anything on his lists -- not because I thought nothing on his lists was deserving, but I figure anything he nominates will have a huge advantage already, so I gave my puny non-slate votes to other things instead. For instance, I was going to nominate Seveneves, but I put my sixth-place novel there instead.

Anyway, We Shall See what happens!

6 hours ago, Contrarius+ said:

Whew. Finally finished my nomination lists. Took forever!

You know, a good few of VD's "suggestions" this year were actually quite reasonable -- and some would be pretty inevitable to get nominated with or without his input, like Seveneves. I wonder how he plans to spin things this year -- both for those noms of his that win and those that don't?

He boosted Daily Science Fiction, which is my favorite magazine.  They haven't responded (to my knowledge) which I think is wise.

• 2 weeks later...

Record Hugo nominations total announced:

http://www.thehugoawards.org/2016/04/hugo-award-nominations-shatter-records-finalists-to-be-announced-april-26/

I presume that's substantially made up of people who took part in the actual ballot last year, and therefore this is not good news for the Puppies, but we'll see.

Either way, it's good to see the increase - though it should be recognised the trend has been upwards for a couple of years now, so this isn't completely a one-off.

1 hour ago, mormont said:

Record Hugo nominations total announced:

http://www.thehugoawards.org/2016/04/hugo-award-nominations-shatter-records-finalists-to-be-announced-april-26/

I presume that's substantially made up of people who took part in the actual ballot last year, and therefore this is not good news for the Puppies, but we'll see.

Either way, it's good to see the increase - though it should be recognised the trend has been upwards for a couple of years now, so this isn't completely a one-off.

Or the Puppies, rabid and sad, really came out to play. :(

4 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Sad puppies seem to have been fairly reasonable this year, putting out fairly wide recommendations, but not slates. Rabid puppies obviously are a different matter. But I guess we won't know one way or the other for a while yet

32 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Sad puppies seem to have been fairly reasonable this year, putting out fairly wide recommendations, but not slates. Rabid puppies obviously are a different matter. But I guess we won't know one way or the other for a while yet

HEM,

Well, one of my nominees, Neal Stephenson's Seveneves was a Rabid pick.  I didn't realize it when I nominated the book.  Is Vox Day doing that deliberately?

4 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Possible but distinctly less likely. Analysis last year showed that there were probably about 1,000 puppy voters in the final vote tally of 5,600 and less than half that number nominated. Moreover, the media coverage and other factors were so strong as to suggest that the final voter tally was about as many as either campaign could realistically ever mobilise.

I'm sure a lot of those 1,000 who didn't nominate last year, did so this year. But I also think that's true of the far larger group who voted last year specifically to reject the puppy slates. That far larger group almost certainly accounts for most of the extra votes.

What the far larger group don't have, though, is coherence. They probably have nominations that are very broad, which is a good thing, but may also not command deep support. So there'll likely be a long 'tail' of works that don't get nominated.

As for your second point, it's discussed literally six posts above yours.

I think the larger numbers reflect a lot of people who vote, but may not normally nominate.  My boss is one of those.  He nominated in a few categories this year instead of just waiting for the ballot.  In addition, a lot of people didn't know that you retain nominating rights from the previous year. They do now with the greater dissemination of information.  Looking forward to the 26th!

Archived