Eligible Works for Hugo Worldcon 2016 - Deadline 31st March!

TannerSack

I can't speak for anyone else, but I am categorically refusing to consider any Castalia Press works. They will all rank below No Award for me.

It's the whole white supremacist, pro-apartheid, anti-women's suffrage, supporting acid attacks on literate women thing. Lie down with that dog and I'm just going to assume you've got fleas.

5 hours ago, Lily Valley said:

In my house, there is a decade long contest over terrible book covers.   My brother gave up the crown when Kat introduced me to Amish Vampires in Space last year.   I had to give it back when he bought me Pride of Chanur.  (Space cats, wat).  

Tingle won me the crown back, but now my brother is making me buy all Tingle's paperbacks for his library.   

I'll see your Space Cats and raise you Nazi Garden Gnomes.

http://www.goodshowsir.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/ittlepeople.jpg

15 hours ago, Lily Valley said:

In my house, there is a decade long contest over terrible book covers.   My brother gave up the crown when Kat introduced me to Amish Vampires in Space last year.   I had to give it back when he bought me Pride of Chanur.  (Space cats, wat).  

Tingle won me the crown back, but now my brother is making me buy all Tingle's paperbacks for his library.   

I think Tingle's novelty success is the most interesting thing about these Hugos, honestly. I haven't read anything by him yet, but on one boxing website where I mentioned the Hugos someone immediately posted a cover of "My Ass is Haunted by the Gay Unicorn Colonel" ... if not a household phenomenon, his name recognition must be up a thousandfold.

21 minutes ago, marcaramini said:

I think Tingle's novelty success is the most interesting thing about these Hugos, honestly. I haven't read anything by him yet, but on one boxing website where I mentioned the Hugos someone immediately posted a cover of "My Ass is Haunted by the Gay Unicorn Colonel" ... if not a household phenomenon, his name recognition must be up a thousandfold.

I'm actually tempted to try writing dinosaur erotica. Purely as a writing experiment, because, well, the concept had never occurred to me before. 

2 hours ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

I'm actually tempted to try writing dinosaur erotica. Purely as a writing experiment, because, well, the concept had never occurred to me before. 

That sounds dangerously close to encroaching on cryptozoorotica, and we all know there is a clear master of that genre already.

On 4/28/2016 at 3:56 PM, marcaramini said:

Seems like Chuck Tingle is the one coming out the best from all of this, honestly, with My Little Pony a close second. The reaction to him and to me on various sites (obviously because of the choice I made in publisher) is night and day.

I remember posting on here when you first mentioned the book that you'd get serious blowback for the publisher.  (I did buy it, to be fair.)  Did you really expect anything different?

1 hour ago, Little Valkyrie said:

I remember posting on here when you first mentioned the book that you'd get serious blowback for the publisher.  (I did buy it, to be fair.)  Did you really expect anything different?

No, I guess not. I wrote something for all intents un-publishable from a profit perspective, and putting out a self-published hardback would have been way beyond me. Thank you for the purchase, and I hope you enjoyed it. Vox is looking into why the version on amazon hasn't updated to v.2 for me, which fixed about 200 small but grating things (principle/principal and overuse of the word "presage" being the most grating in hindsight - gah.) If you haven't read it yet and plan on it, and when you go to it still reads version 001 on the copyright page, please let me know and I will make sure you get version 002. They aren't major changes but now they annoy me, and I expect they would annoy a reader. Thanks again for buying it.

2 hours ago, marcaramini said:

No, I guess not. I wrote something for all intents un-publishable from a profit perspective, and putting out a self-published hardback would have been way beyond me.

Why? Places like Lulu don't have any upfront costs, they just charge per copy. Maximum page count is 800 for a hardback, but if you need more than that, I don't see splitting it into two volumes as being a bad thing. What's your contract like? Would it be legal for you to self-publish a new edition now?

5 hours ago, felice said:

Why? Places like Lulu don't have any upfront costs, they just charge per copy. Maximum page count is 800 for a hardback, but if you need more than that, I don't see splitting it into two volumes as being a bad thing. What's your contract like? Would it be legal for you to self-publish a new edition now?

I needed an editor to help me badly. This 830 pages IS less than half of the work. The second half is much longer. Fact checking, helping me organize unorganized things. This project was my analysis but my editor played a vital role in getting a clean copy of it. The only snafu was a version mixup during automation/splitting into individual essays for a working table of contents. The honest truth is that the volume benefited greatly from his assistance, and I wanted to put out something worthy of Wolfe. About forty essays were written before I ever realized they might be publishable and needed extensive reworking to "fit" with the volume as a whole. The whole thing, though worth it, was even harder to do than it seems.

I have Uprooted cued on my kindle.  I've been sniffing around for the novella and novellettes.  If anyone has links for reading can you post them here?  

I can give a whole-hearted thumbs up to Fifth Season.  I liked it so much more than the Inheritance Trilogy. Those are the only works I've read by Jemisin.  I am looking forward to scoping out some of her shorter pieces once Hugo season is over.

I plan on rereading the third Ancillary novel.  This last one cracked me up more than once.  Every once in a while I'll be reading something and I wind up texting one of you nerds because it's so good.  In the case of Mercy, I was finishing it up at around the middle of the night so I texted Karradin and brook.  They had finished it and it was daytime in their part of the world.  I was just about to bust.  I really don't remember the last time I've enjoyed a longer work like I love these three books.  I have never felt more lonely after reading anything.  Jesus, I tried to hug my CAT (that didn't go well, by the way).

Once in a while, Stephenson writes passages in his novels that make the whole cumbersome thing worth it. For a while I couldn't remember the protagonist in SnowCrash, but I remembered the scene where his mother goes to work for her government-run state.  Everybody competed to get a chair by the door to prove that they had been there early, regardless of whether or not they had anything to do.  At the time I was working for a government contractor.  I actually laughed so hard in my office over that passage my boss came in to see what I was doing.   I heard very good things about Seveneves.  

I understand the Butcher novel is first of a series.  I'm a lot happier about this.  It's on the list.

What are y'all reading?

I'll be reading Seveneves sometime in the next few weeks.  I won't be reading the Butcher.  I used to be a fan of the Dresden Files, but I've soured on it after the last couple of books and I have no interest in his new series.

I agree with you on Fifth Season being really good.  It's not completely perfect, but it will probably be my top choice.  Ancillary Mercy was great, but I'm not sure what rank I'll put it since Justice won two years ago and I'd like to see a different author win.  Uprooted was...fine.  But I seem to be one of the handful of people on planet Earth that didn't absolutely love it to pieces. 

Here are the short stories that I've found available for free online.  Looks like the rest and the novellas are only available for sale.

Best Novelette

Best Short Story

Archived