Eligible Works for Hugo Worldcon 2016 - Deadline 31st March!

TannerSack

On 5/4/2016 at 5:36 PM, Xray the Enforcer said:

I am so incredibly TORN on which book I will choose for Best Novel. I love both Fifth Season and Ancillary Mercy so much.

I found Mercy to be the more polished of the two.   Buuut,  part of the appeal of a first book in a series is all the fun in exploring the new world and seeing how the author handles exposition, etc and the Fifth season made a lot of that really fun.   Added bonus, crazy geology sci-fi.  Awesome.   Unless one of the others knocks me out of the park, I'm agonizing with you.

By the way Beniowa, YOU DIDN'T WARN ME THAT THE SINGER FROM Die Antwoord WAS IN Chappie.  My ears are still hurting!  :tantrum:  Good lord that woman's voice is rough.

Edit:  OMG, I forgot to thank you before complaining.  Ben, thanks for the links!

Thanks, HelenaExMachina!

Locus finalists look very reasonable, on the whole. Very glad that I have voted in their poll and helped to bring it about, in a miniscule way. So, looking at Hugo, Locus and Nebula shortlists (Clarke's is just completely different and only novels), what do  you folks think?

http://www.locusmag.com/News/2016/04/2016-hugo-and-campbell-award-finalists/

http://www.locusmag.com/News/2016/05/2016-locus-awards-finalists/

http://www.locusmag.com/News/2016/02/2015-nebula-awards-ballot/

Anything that you really loved on non-Hugo ones? Or inexplicably missed by all 3? Thoughts on stuff you read?

For me, it was great to see the 2 de Bodard pieces on the Locus one. They were my top  faves in their categories for the year and I was sad that  they didn't make it not only into Hugo, but also into Nebula finalist list. Oh, and I feel that Ian McDonald's "New Moon" and J.S.A. Corey's "Nemesis Games" were kinda snubbed, though at least the latter is a series installment (though one that stands pretty well on it's own, IMHO), so there is an obvious handicap. My other novel favorites "Ancillary Mercy", "Fifth Season" and "Uprooted" are everywhere, though,which is nice.

Re: which of the 3 to choose, much as I loved "Ancillary Mercy", for me it is going to be a struggle between the other 2. And not just because Leckie already has one Hugo - IMHO AM really depends on the build-up in the previous volumes, particularly AS, for it's pay-off to hit home and not feel like Deus ex Machina. As to the other 2 - if only "Fifth's Season" hadn't finished with an open-ended cliff-hanger, it would have been a no-brainer!  Whereas "Uprooted" has a  satisfying conclusion (though certain minor elements of it feel contrived and unnecessary) and is complete in itself.  Hm...      

3 hours ago, Maia said:

Thanks, HelenaExMachina!

Locus finalists look very reasonable, on the whole. Very glad that I have voted in their poll and helped to bring it about, in a miniscule way. So, looking at Hugo, Locus and Nebula shortlists (Clarke's is just completely different and only novels), what do  you folks think?

Anything that you really loved on non-Hugo ones? Or inexplicably missed by all 3? Thoughts on stuff you read?

Notable snubs IMO:

Adam Roberts' The Thing Itself. An excellent novel and really original in its premise.

K.J. Parker's novella The Last Witness. Yet another great novella by him, he should be nominated every year, he really excels at that length.

14 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

I don't see The Library at Mount Char anywhere. :(

I hadn't heard of that book before, but I just checked it out and the blurb looks pretty interesting. I take it you would endorse the book?

4 hours ago, MisterOJ said:

I hadn't heard of that book before, but I just checked it out and the blurb looks pretty interesting. I take it you would endorse the book?

I would. Contrarius and Skyjay and a few others loved it too. But it has a few haters. :P

Yeah, the Corey is definitely a snub.

I agree with Maia that New Moon got snubbed.  That was my favorite sci-fi from last year.  I'm a little surprised KSR's Aurora didn't show up anywhere other than the Locus. 

I was also happy to see Barsk on the Nebula list as I really enjoyed Schoen's new take on uplift.  The writing was really good, and I kind of regretted that the book had to have a plot as I could have read an entire book without one. 

21 hours ago, Lily Valley said:

By the way Beniowa, YOU DIDN'T WARN ME THAT THE SINGER FROM Die Antwoord WAS IN Chappie.  My ears are still hurting!  :tantrum:  Good lord that woman's voice is rough.

Edit:  OMG, I forgot to thank you before complaining.  Ben, thanks for the links!

:lol:  Sorry!  I guess I tend to tune that kind of thing out.  :P

Looking at their mutual Tweet history, Chuck and Quinn are actually real friends from back in the day. That's kind of bananas.

Potential Plot Twist #2: Quinn is Chuck and Vox Day just got the archnemesis of his breed of trollism nominated for a Hugo Award. Oh, the universe isn't that glorious, is it?

7 hours ago, David Selig said:

Notable snubs IMO:

Adam Roberts' The Thing Itself. An excellent novel and really original in its premise.

K.J. Parker's novella The Last Witness. Yet another great novella by him, he should be nominated every year, he really excels at that length.

I hadn't realised that The Last Witness was from 2015. I agree, it was a very good novella, though I don't have a great deal to compare it with. Was also my first KJ Parker read too

Archived